History

Geneseo's tradition of interweaving liberal and professional education began in 1867, when the state legislature passed an act authorizing the location of a "normal" (or teacher training) school. In 1871, Geneseo welcomed its first students to the Wadsworth Normal and Training School, offering instruction to would-be teachers. Geneseo became an official campus State University of New York in 1948. It is one of 13 universities in the SUNY system.