What can a Communication degree do for you?
Some recent graduates are employed in corporate communication, the media industries, public relations, sales, marketing and financial services.
Others have chosen to further their education in the fields of healthcare communication, counseling, conflict resolution, law and business administration.
The basis for their success is a comprehensive liberal arts communication program that combines conceptual and critical understanding with hands on application of skills. All majors take coursework in public speaking, interpersonal communication and mass communication. They also select a track of study in Personal and Professional Communication, Journalism and Media Studies, or Intercultural and Critical Studies.
Course descriptions may be found at http://www.geneseo.edu/communication/course_descriptions.
Real World Experience
Internships are available to eligible students in their junior or senior years to complement classroom learning with valuable professional experience. Some students work with companies in the Rochester area, as well as in other major metropolitan areas across New York. Other students choose on-campus internships. Recent internships include:
• Media - Infinity Broadcasting, MTV Networks, Messenger Post Newspapers, Livingston County News, Genesee Valley Express, Entercom
• Sports - Rochester Amerks/Nighthawks, Rochester Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bisons
• Entertainment - Team Clermont Band Promotion, Rochester Broadway
• Not-for-profit organizations - American Cancer Society, Cystic Fibrosis, CNY Fertility Center
• Marketing and advertising - Dixon Schwabl, Roberts Communications, JetBlue, Wegmans
• On-campus - Human Resources, College Communications, Career Services, Athletics and Recreation, Admissions
Some academic learning is combined with service to the community. Recent projects have included Mt. Morris Branding Project, SouthWedge Branding Project, Charlotte Branding Project, Main Street Revitalization in Livingston and Wyoming Counties, and marketing for departments on the Geneseo campus.