The Irma Hamer Collins Alumni Center at the McClellan House


  Hamer and McClellan

  


The Collins Alumni Center
The alumni center, located on the second floor of McClellan House, is named for Irma Hamer Collins '42 (above), prominent businesswoman, dedicated alumni leader and generous benefactor. As president of the Class of 1942, Irma has provided outstanding volunteer service to her alma mater since her graduation. She served as a member of the Alumni Board of Directors from 1984-96. In 2003, she established a significant endowment fund with the Geneseo Foundation to support alumni programming and alumni center facility operations. The Collins Alumni Center is home to the offices of the Alumni Relations staff, the Geneseo Alumni Association and the Undergraduate Alumni Association.

 

The McClellan House

The original house was built for William H. Spencer, in about 1825. By 1845, it was owned by Benjamin F. Angel, who rebuilt the residence following a destructuve fire. Angel also enlarged, rearranged and improved the home in 1882. In 1913 the property was sold to Antonio Aprile, who modernized it with electricity, plumbing and central heat installations. In the 1920s the house changed hands twice, and was eventually sold to St. Mary's Catholic Church in 1953, to be known and used as the Parish Center. In 1985 the building became a residence again when it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Gallo.

The Geneseo Foundation acquired the structure in July 2000 with the goal of preserving and renovating it for use as a community art gallery and alumni center. The house is named for the late Robert and Jeanette McClellan and their family - long-standing supporters of the arts, the college and the local community.


The LockHart Gallery

For information on the Lockhart Gallery, located on the first floor of McClellan House, visit Geneseo Art Galleries.