Enhancing the Career Development Process
students for life after Geneseo is a top priority for faculty and
staff. Consider the following suggestions that can enhance the career
development of our students.
- Be aware of the wide range of
services we offer and feel welcome to refer your students to us. Refer
both "committed" and "uncommitted" students for assistance.
- Reinforce to your advisees the value of addressing career concerns early in the college experience.
students to develop out-of-class activities to enhance their skills
(the GOLD Program for example) and investigating career options, i.e.
internships, directed studies, etc.
- Not all classes
lend themselves to specific careers, but when appropriate, consider
allocating a portion of your syllabus to class projects or assignments
that would foster career exploration.
- Recommend students conduct career research or network with an Alumni Career Partner. We'll assist students with navigating the 400 plus alumni database with informational interview tips.
- When possible, provide students an opportunity to help you with your research.
you done consulting work off campus? If possible, encourage your
clients to consider Geneseo graduates for entry-level opportunities. In
addition, if you are aware of employers hiring, encourage them to
contact Career Services to take advantage of electronic job postings
and on-campus interviewing.
- Bring students along with
you to regional and national meetings, introduce them to your
colleagues, and help them learn how to network.
- Take every opportunity you can to inform graduate and professional schools of Geneseo's competitive environment.