- Ph.D. (Chemistry) Montana State University
- BA Hamline University
- Welch Post Doctoral Fellow, Trinity University, San Antonio, TX
- Visiting Professor of Chemistry, Carleton College, Northfield, MN
My research is directed at understanding the molecular basis of NADPH oxidase inhibition by apocynin (4-hydroxy-3-methoxyacetophenone). The activated NADPH oxidase complex produces reactive oxygen species which are involved in the early stage development of a series of inflammatory diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetic retinopathy and asthma. A clearer understanding of this inhibition mechanism may lead to a novel therapy for diseases involving NADPH oxidase induced oxidative stress.
- Houser, K.R., Johnson, D.K. and Ishmael, F.T. "Anti-inflammatory Effects on Methoxyphenolic Compounds on Human Airway Cells" Journal of Inflammation, 2012, 9:6 (http://www.journal-inflammatin.com/content/9/6)
- Robert W. O'Donnell, David K. Johnson, Linda M. Ziegler Andrew J. DiMattina, Robert I. Stone, James A. Holland, “Endothelial NADPH Oxidase: Mechanism of Activation by Low-Density Lipoprotein” Endothelium, 2003, 10, 291-297.
- Johnson, D.K.; O’Donnell, R.W.; Schillinger, K.J.; Kwiat, D.K.; Hughes, C.C; McNamara, E.J.; Ishmael, F.; Hogg, M.G., Santhanam, L., Ziegler, L.M.; Chang, M. Dordick, J.S. and Holland, J.A. “Metabolic Activation of an NADPH Oxidase Inhibitor: Apocynin, An o-Methoxy-4-Substituted Catechol” Endothelium, 2002, 9, 191-203.
- Holland, J.A. and Johnson, D.K., “Use of NADPH Oxidase Inhibitors for the Manufacture of a Medicament for Prevention of Atherosclerosis” European Patent 861070B1, 2000.
- Holland, J.A.; Gross, R.A.; O’Donnell, R.W.; Chang, M.-M.; Johnson, D.K.; and Zeigler, L.M. “Low-Density Lipoprotein Induced Actin Cytoskeleton Reorganization in Endothelial Cells: Mechanisms of Action” Endothelium, 2001, 8, 117-135.
- Holland, J.A.; O’Donnell, R.W.; Chang, M.; Johnson, D.K. and Ziegler, L.M. “Endothelial Cell Oxidant Production: Effect of NADPH Oxidase Inhibitors” Endothelium, 2000, 7, 109-119.
- Holland, J.A. and Johnson, D.K. , “Prevention of Atherosclerosis Using NADPH Oxidase Inhibitors” United States Patent 5902831, 1999.