- Post-doc, Naval Research Laboratory and Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute
- Ph.D., The Johns Hopkins University
- B.S., Chatham University
My research has two arms: The first is in nutrition and metabolism, using a mechanistic/molecular and evidence-based approach, and the biochemical basis of metabolic disorders and diseases such as type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The second arm is my "bench" research, studying mitochondrial function, mitochondrial DNA, and radiation effects. I have also worked in biomolecular computing, but am no longer quite as active in that field.
Publications and Professional Activities
- R.D.Feinman, W.K.Pogozelski, A.Astrup, R.K.Bernstein, E.J.Fine, E.C.Westman, A.Accuros, L.Frasetto, S.McFarlane, J.V.Nielsen, T.Krarup, B.A.Gower, L.Saslow, K.S.Roth, M.C.Vernon, J.S.Volek, G.B.Wilshire, A.Dahlqvist, R.Sundberg, A.Childers, K.Morrison, A.H. Manninen, R.J.Wood, J.Wortman, N.Worm, Dietary Carbohydrate Restriction as the Default Treatment for Diabetes: The Evidence Base, Nutrition, 2015 (available online in 2014 at http://www.nutrtionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext)
- W.K.Pogozelski, "The Uses of Metabolic Adversity", ASBMB Today, March 2013.
- W.K. Pogozelski, L. Fletcher, C. Cassar, I.A. Trounce and C.A. Pinkert, The mitochondrial genome sequence of Mus terricolor: Comparison with Mus musculus domesticus and implications for xenomitochondrial mouse modeling, Gene, 2008, 418(1,2), 27-33.
- W.K. Pogozelski, S.F.Priore, M.P. Bernard, A.J.Macula, "Experimental Validation of DNA Sequences for DNA Computing: Use of a SYBR Green Assay", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, DNA 11 , 2006, 3892, 248-256.
- A.G.D'yachokov, A.J. Macula, W.K.Pogozelski, T.E.Renz, V.VRykov, D.C.Torney, "New t-Gap Insertion-Deletion-Like Metrics for DNA hYbrdization Thermodynamic Modeling", J. Comput. Biol. 2006, 13(4), 866-881.
- W.K.Pogozelski, S.F.Priore, N.Arpaia, "The Metabolic Effects of Low-Carbohydrate Diets and Incorporation into a Biochemistry Course", Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 2005, 33(2), 91-100.
- A.Macula, A.D'yachkov, W.K.Pogozelski, et al., "An Insertion-Deletion Like Metric with Application to DNA Hybridization Thermodynamic Modeling"", Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2005, 3384, 90-103.
- I.A.Trounce, M.McKenzie, C.A.Cassar, C.A. Ingraham, C.A.Lerner, D.A. Dunn, C.L. Donegan, K. Takeda, W.K. Pogozelski, R.L. Howell and C.A. Pinkert, "Development and Initial Characterization of Xenomitochondrial Mice: Mitochondria and Neuroprotection - In Memory of Albert L. Lehninger" J. Bioenerg. Biomembr. 2004, 36(4) 421-427.
- For full list of publications, please see my C.V.
- Nutrition and Metabolism Society
- American Chemical Society
- Radiation Research Society
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Mitochondria Research Society
- Council on Undergraduate Research