- M.S., Rochester Institute of Technology (2008)
- B.A., SUNY Geneseo (1985)
Current research involves mass media audiences, policy, and regulation; media ownership consolidation; and trends in radio broadcasting and college radio.
Publications and Professional Activities
- Saffran, M. J. (2011). Effects of local-market radio ownership concentration on radio localism, the public interest, and listener opinions and use of local radio. Journal of Radio and Audio Media, 18, 281–294.
- Saffran, M. (2009, April). Effects of local-market radio ownership concentration on radio localism, the public interest, and listener opinions and use of local radio. Paper presented at the meeting of the Eastern Communication Association, Philadelphia.
- Saffran, M. J. (2006). Impact on national radio ownership from the 1997 court ruling on ownership consolidation in Rochester. Journal of Social and Legal Research at the Rochester Institute of Technology, 6.
Awards and Honors
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), Rochester Chapter, PRism Award, Social Media – Video (2011)
- PRSA PRism Award, Online Publication (2010)
- PRSA Award of Excellence, Social Media (2010)
- PRSA PRism Award, Website (2007)
- PRSA PRism Award, Most Improved Element, Website (2007)
- PRSA PRism Award, News Release, (2003)
- Broadcast Education Association
- Eastern Communication Association
- Student Press Law Center