- D. Ed., The Pennsylvania State University
- M.Ed. + B.S., The Pennsylvania State University
- Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ (9/1/04 – 5/30/06)
- Nazareth College, Rochester, NY (8/91 – 8/04)
* Democracy and Education
* Teacher Education/teacher identity
* Inclusive early childhood education
Publications and Professional Activities
- O’Brien, L. M. (2011). “Holding the talking piece gives me a chance to make a sentence out of what I am thinking”: Children’s responses to the use of Peace Circles at one primary school in the U.S. Citizenship Education Research Network Collection.
- O’Brien, L. M. (2010). Speaking our selves: The intersections of women educators’ personal and professional lives. Current Issues in Education, 13 (4). On line at http://cie.asu.edu/ojs/index.php/cieatasu
- O’Brien, L. M. (2010). Caring in the ivory tower: Using one-to-one initial meetings to build student-professor relationships. Journal of Teacher Education, 15(1), 109-115.
- O’Brien, L. M., Novinger, S., & Leach-Bizari, A. (2007). What does it mean to be a “good” early childhood teacher? An analysis of themes in application essays submitted to two early childhood education teacher certification programs. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 28 (3), 205-217.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- The Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE)
- National Association for Early Childhood Teacher Educators (NAECTE)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)