James Jackson, professor emeritus of education, who served as principal of the campus laboratory school for nearly a decade, died February 18, 2012, at age 94.
A Geneseo alumnus, Jackson earned his bachelor's degree in education in 1945 and joined the faculty in 1963 after serving as a teacher, principal and in other administrative leadership roles at several school districts. He began at Geneseo as a professor and curriculum coordinator of the lab school, which served local elementary school children and prepared Geneseo's teacher candidates. In 1965, he was named principal of the lab school, a post he held until 1971, when he was transferred to a full-time teaching position in the Department of Education. He retired in 1973.
He was instrumental in the development, construction and opening of the Holcomb Campus School during his tenure.