Students take advantage of warm, sunny weather by studying on the College Green. /PHOTO BY VASILIY BAZIUK
Geneseo continues to shine in the growing list of magazines publishing college rankings— five in the past few months.
Two "best of" lists that Geneseo is named to are new this year. Creating such rankings seems to be part of American culture, says President Christopher C. Dahl. All of the organizations and publications evaluate schools using different and various criteria.
"There seems to be no end to Americans' tendency to make lists and rank things, from food to football teams," says Dahl. "In the world of higher education this year, there are more lists than ever. Whatever angle they take, however, their rankings consistently underscore Geneseo's reputation for excellence in undergraduate education."
Dahl says he has received feedback on the Parade magazine ranking, which appeared in Sunday newspapers all over the country, from alumni, parents and friends throughout the United States.
Geneseo is also the only SUNY school included in The Fiske Guide To Colleges 2011 "Best Buy Schools."
• Parade magazine, a Sunday supplement distributed by numerous newspapers across the country, placed Geneseo on its "A-List" of 20 small public universities in the nation. Inclusion was based on recommendations from top high-school counselors.
• Geneseo ranked 7th overall in the nation among 551 "master's universities" in The Washington Monthly's rankings. The college is the only public school among the top18 on the list. The rankings are based on colleges' contributions to the public good.
• U.S. News & World Report ranked SUNY Geneseo first among four regional universities in the North identified as having a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching. Geneseo is one of 86 schools from all four regions of the country on the list, contained in the magazine's 2011 rankings of the nation's top colleges and universities. Geneseo placed second among "Top Public Universities" in the North. It also ranked 12th in the "Best Regional Universities" category for the same region, a category that combines both public and private institutions.
• The Princeton Review has included Geneseo on its list of the country's best institutions for undergraduate education.
• Geneseo is among 45 "Best Buy Schools" named in the 2011 edition of The Fiske Guide to Colleges.