- Ph.D., UCLA
- M.A., UCLA
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley
Asian American film and video
Race and Representation
Avant Garde Film
Popular cinemas of Hong Kong and Japan
Video Art and Technologies of the Moving Image
Publications and Professional Activities
- Book Manuscript : Making Asian American Film and Video: History, Institutions, and Movements. Forthcoming from Rutgers University Press, March 2015.
- “The Weird Greek Wave: Postcolonial and Affective Mimicry in Athina Rachel
Tsangari’s Attenberg (2010),” East, West, and Centre: Reframing Post-1989 European
Cinema (forthcoming from Edinburgh University Press, Fall 2014).
- • “Cultural Odor in the Global Order: Intertextuality and the Raced Japanese Body,” Transnational Asian Identities in Pan-Pacific Cinemas: The Reel Asian Exchange. Eds. Phillipa Gates and Lisa Funnell. New York and London: Routledge, 2011.
- “’Noble and Uplifting and Boring as Hell’: Asian American Film and Video, 1972-1982,” Cinema
Journal 49, no. 1, (Winter 2009).
- “Forfaiture: Photogénie, Race, and Homoerotic Homage in the French Remake of The Cheat,” Quarterly Review of Film and Video 25:5 (2008): 368-381.
- “The PBS and NAATA Connection: Comparing the Public Spheres of Asian American Film and
Video,” The Velvet Light Trap 55 (Spring 2005): 39-51.