- Stimulate students to think broadly about career opportunities following graduation.
- Expose students to some of the realities of the work world.
- Utilize the talents and services of Geneseo alumni.
- Remove obstacles which may preclude a student from otherwise enjoying the benefits of such an opportunity.
- Encourage present students to someday become strong alumni who may be willing to aid in the career development of future students.
- Student Externs will visit, as a group, at least four employers in the area. Employers will be pre-selected through our connections with alumni and because of the diversity of the opportunities available.
- Externs will individually visit alumni employed in their career area of interest. These job-site visits will be scheduled in advance once student participants have been selected.
- A panel of graduates now employed in the area will meet the student Externs to discuss their transition from Geneseo to their careers. Externs will have the opportunity to ask a variety of questions at this panel discussion.
- Student Externs will be given a series of independent career-related assignments which will be completed during free time and are a required element of the program.
- Alumni will host student participants in social activities, including an informal tour of some of the major attractions of the host city.
- All student Externs will be required to maintain a written journal of the Externship experience that will be kept on file in the Alumni Relations office. The journal should describe and evaluate each major component of the week's activities.
- A pre-Externship orientation for student Externs will be held on campus. The orientation includes practical considerations such as the schedule of events, getting around the city, appropriate dress, roommate assignments, etc.