- Stimulate students to think broadly about career opportunities following graduation.
- Expose students to some of the realities of the work world.
- Utilize the talents and services of Geneseo alumni.
- Remove obstacles which may preclude a student from otherwise enjoying the benefits of such an opportunity.
present students to someday become strong alumni who may be willing to
aid in the career development of future students.
Externs will visit, as a group, at least four employers in the area.
Employers will be pre-selected through our connections with alumni and
because of the diversity of the opportunities available.
- Externs will individually visit alumni employed in their career area of interest. These job-site visits will be scheduled in advance once student participants have been selected.
panel of graduates now employed in the area will meet the student
Externs to discuss their transition from Geneseo to their careers.
Externs will have the opportunity to ask a variety of questions at this
- Student Externs will be given a series of independent career-related assignments which will be completed during free time.
- Alumni will host student participants in hospitality activities, including an informal tour of some of the major attractions of the host city.
- All student Externs will be expected to maintain a written journal
of the Externship experience that will be kept on file in the Alumni
Relations office. The journal should describe and evaluate each major
component of the week's activities.
- A pre-Externship orientation
for student Externs will be held on campus. The orientation includes
practical considerations such as the schedule of events, getting around
the city, appropriate dress, roommate assignments, etc.