Foreign Language Education

The Department of Languages and Literatures works closely with the Ella Cline Shear School of Education to prepare students to teach foreign languages at the elementary and 7-12 levels. For general program descriptions, visit the School of Education's site.

Adolescence Education

The academic requirements for obtaining initial certification to teach French or Spanish at the 7-12 level include the completion of a major in French or Spanish. See a full description of the School of Education's requirements, which are organized in blocks.

Other requirements for graduation with an foreign language adolescence education degree include:

Writing Exam
In order to graduate, students are required to pass the writing exam at or above the equivalent of ACTFL’s Advanced Low Level of Proficiency. It is recommended students take this exam during their junior year. Further information and instructions for scheduling the Writing Exam is available on the Writing Exam page on this site.
Oral Exam (ACTFL's Oral Proficiency Interview)
Effective Fall 2010, declared majors in Adolescence Education 7-12: Foreign Languages (French or Spanish) are also required to take an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) as a graduation requirement. Effective Fall 2011, these majors will need to take the OPI exam and pass it at or above ACTFL’s Advanced Low Level of Proficiency. It is recommended students take this exam during the first semester of their senior year, preferably shortly after having studied abroad in a country where the target language is spoken. View this presentation for more information on the OPI, and this document for a summary of instructions for scheduling the OPI Exam.

Dual Certification

SUNY Geneseo does not offer dual teaching certification to Education majors. However, students desiring to become certified in two different areas are able to obtain an initial certification in one area and take all the courses (30 credit hours at the 300 level) that are required to obtain certification in the second area of specialization.
Certification in the second area is obtained from the New York State Department of Education with the assistance of BOCES (Board of Cooperative Education Services). Further information can be found in the following document.