Step 3: Form Your Roommate Group
Forming Your Roommate Group, Step by Step | Potential Challenges in Forming Groups | Group Size Restrictions | Group Formation Deadline
Note: This web page -- and all other Housing Selection 2014 web pages -- are designed for students who are already taking classes at SUNY Geneseo. If you are an incoming student looking for information about residence hall housing, kindly refer to the written correspondence which you received from the Admissions Office.
If you want to live with a friend in a corridor-style room, or with multiple friends in a suite, you will need to form a roommate group in the Symplicity Residence software.
Forming Your Group, Step by Step:
1. After you access your Symplicity Residence account, navigate to the "Roommate Matching" tab on the top menu, as shown in the screenshot below.
2. This "Search" screen would allow you to search for possible compatible roommates using matching profile responses. If you already know who you want to live with, however, you can bypass this screen and click on the "Group" sub-tab.
3. In the above example, the student entered the passcode of his prospective roommate, Fake Neal. Fake Neal's passcode is "pleten651". In the event that you are forming your roommate group on behalf of your friends, you will need to ask each of your friends for their passcodes. All students can find their passcodes in the upper-right corner of the Symplicity Residence home screen.
As long as you type your friend's passcode in the "Roommates:" field correctly, their name should appear in the larger text box below the magnifying glass. By clicking on the highlighted name, you can add your friend to the group. If you plan to live in a suite with multiple friends, you can just repeat the process of typing passcodes in the "Roommates:" field until all of your friends are included in the group.
4. When you finish, click the "Save" button. (Note: It is not necessary to type your own passcode in the "Roommates:" field -- you will be added to the group automatically.)
Potential Challenges in Forming Roommate Groups:
i. If you type a passcode incorrectly, or if you try to type a name in the "Roommates:" field instead, a small triangle with an exclamation point will appear, and nothing will happen.
ii. All members of a roommate group must have paid housing deposits and completed their Residential License Agreement Form (RLAF). In the event that your friend's RLAF is not completed, or saved in draft format, their name will not appear in the text box, even if you typed their passcode correctly.
iii. The Symplicity Residence software will not permit the formation of mixed-gender groups. If you are trying to form a gender-neutral suite group for Genesee Hall, we ask that you send the names, G-Numbers, and Symplicity Residence passcodes of all group members to us at email@example.com. We will then create your roommate group in the Symplicity Residence software.
5. After you save your group, your screen should resemble the above image. If you can view all of your friends' names in the text box below the magnifying glass, your group was created successfully.
Group Size Restrictions:
If you and your friends wish to live in a suite for 2014 - 2015, the size of your roommate group must match the size of your desired suite. If you want to try to choose an 8-person suite, for instance, your roommate group must include exactly 8 students. (Exception: If a member of your group is already approved for medical single accommodations through the Office of Disability Services, your group should include 1 less student than the number of spaces in your desired suite.)
The sizes of suites which are available for Housing Selection and the residence halls which feature each size of suite are outlined in the table below.
|Size of Suite||Residence Halls|
|6-person||Allegany, Erie, Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Wyoming, and Nassau Halls|
|8-person||Allegany, Erie, Genesee, Ontario, and Wyoming Halls|
Roommate Group Formation Deadline:
All roommate groups must be created in the Symplicity Residence software by Wednesday, April 2.