Step 4: Choose Your Housing
Overview | Starting the Selection Process | Choose Your Hall, Floor, Suite/Room | Specify Roommates Within Suite | Finalize Your Selection | Potential Challenges in Choosing Housing
Note: This web page -- and all other Housing Selection 2014 web pages -- are designed for students who are already taking classes at SUNY Geneseo. If you are an incoming student looking for information about residence hall housing, kindly refer to the written correspondence which you received from the Admissions Office.
|students notified about Housing Selection date and time||Friday, April 11|
|Housing Selection (using Symplicity Residence software) ||Monday, April 21 - Friday, April 25|
After you pay your housing deposit, complete your application(s), and form your roommate group, all that is left is to wait! Housing Selection will be happening between Monday, April 21 and Friday, April 25 -- this is when all current students will be choosing their living spaces for 2014 - 2015.
You will be notified about your official Housing Selection date and time on Friday, April 11. If you want to know how selection order is determined, feel free to visit our Approved Groups and Selection Order web page.
1. Starting the Selection Process:
At your designated Housing Selection time, you should notice a blue "Room Selection" box in the lower left corner of your Symplicity Residence home screen. This is shown in the screenshot below. If you click on the link which reads "You may now finalize your housing selection.", you can begin the process of choosing your living space for 2014 - 2015.
2. Choose Your Desired Residence Hall, Floor, and Suite/Room:
You should be directed to a screen entitled "Make Room Selection", which is illustrated below. This is where you can choose your preferred residence hall, floor, and suite/room from the living spaces that are still available.
Only the suites and rooms which are not yet selected and which match the size of your roommate group will show in the drop-down menus. This means that, for instance, 6-person groups will not be able to choose 8-person suites.
After you choose your preferred residence hall, you will be prompted to choose a floor, then an "apartment" or corridor-style room. (Note: In Symplicity, suites are called "apartments". Feel free to ignore this language.)
3. Specify Assignments/Roommates Within Suite:
If you and your friends are choosing a suite, you will also need to specify where each group member will be living within the suite. This is achieved through the use of drop-down boxes, as shown in the screenshot below.
4. Finalize Your Housing Selection:
After you click the "Finalize Selection" button, the below screen should appear. This signifies that your suite or room has been reserved, which means that no other roommate group will be able to choose your living space.
Potential Challenges in Choosing Your Housing:
1. You will be able to view only the rooms and suites which match the size of your roommate group. If you are a leader of a 6-person roommate group, you will not be able to choose an 8-person suite.
2. Housing Selection times are staggered by intervals of 4 minutes. If your roommate group's Housing Selection time is 8:00pm on Tuesday, April 22, another group will be able to choose their living space at 8:04pm. In the event that you wait too long to finalize your selection, the next group could choose the same room or suite which you are in the process of choosing.
3. Only the leader of your roommate group (marked by the yellow star in the above screenshot) will be able to choose your living space for 2014 - 2015. If the leader of your group is unavailable to choose your room or suite at your designated Housing Selection time, he/she can transfer the group leader designation to another group member by clicking the green arrow next to his/her name in the "Roommate Managment" tab, as shown below. (Note: In this example, Fake Kevin is the group leader.)