According to the Inter-Greek Council Constituion, the object of the Greek Council shall be to develop, maintain and promote fraternity and sorority life and Inter-Greek relations at a high level of accomplishment and in so doing to:
- Foster unity among its member fraternities and sororities, in order to perpetuate the Greek ideals and respect for the principles on which the Greek-lettered community was founded.
- Consider the goals and ideals of member groups as continually applicable to campus and personal life.
- Promote higher learning and academic growth as basic to intellectual achievement.
- Cooperate with member fraternities, sororities and the University administration in concern for and maintenance of high social and moral standards.
- Act in accordance with rules established by Greek Council as to not violate the sovereignty, rights and privileges of member fraternities or sororities.
- Advise the chapters and provide assistance to them through the administration of the recruitment process.
- Act as a liaison with SUNY Geneseo, its administration and its affiliated organizations.
- Provide opportunity for member organizations to participate in programs designed for community betterment.