Questions to Ask When Choosing a Fraternity/ Sorority to Join
Use these questions to initiate a conversation with your student on the fraternal values of the organization he/she hopes to join. Assess the values of the organization alongside the values you feel are important to your student.
- What is the purpose of the organization? Why should a student join? What aspects of the fraternity/sorority encouraged its members to join?
- How will joining the organization benefit the student?
- What are the financial obligations of membership? Are there any extra costs the semester a student joins? Are members required to live in the fraternity/sorority house?
- What is required during the new member education process? How much time does it take?
- What is the organization's position on hazing?
- What does this organization do to support its members academically? What is the chapter GPA?
- What does this organization do for the College and community?
- Are the members involved in activities outside of the fraternity/ sorority?
- What is the organization's relationship with other fraternities and sororities? What is the reputation of the organization on campus?
- Is the organization in good standing with the College? What is the organizations discipline history?
For more information about Fraternity/Sorority Life at SUNY Geneseo, please contact:
Office of Fraternal Life
|Office Hours: ||Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (August 1-June 30) |
|Address: ||MacVittie College Union 344 |
1 College Circle
Geneseo, NY 14454
|Phone number: ||(585) 245-5968 |