Areas of Responsibility:
- MLS, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- BA, History and Anthropology, Portland State University
- Learning environments & knowledge systems
- Research strategies
- Communication & mobile technologies
- Staff development & training
- Oberlander, Cyril, “Challenges of Sharing Online Information Through Traditional and Non-Traditional ILL” in Electronic Resources Librarianship and Management of Digital Information: Emerging Professional Roles , Mark Jacobs Editor, Haworth, to be published early 2007.
- Oberlander, Cyril, “Transforming the document delivery and resource sharing engine.” IFLA Journal , vol 33 (1), 2007, p. 32-40.
- Oberlander, Cyril and Mary Oberlander, “Sharing Statistics: A
strategic search for context, meaning, purpose and cost savings,” OCLC ILLiad Newsletter, vol. 3, no. 1, Spring 2005, p. 2-6. Link
- Buchanan, Sherry, Rose Jackson and Cyril Oberlander, “Can Cooperative Service Solve the Grey Literature Challenge,” OLA Quarterly, Fall 2004, vol. 10 (2/3), p. 5-9.
- Oberlander, Cyril and Mary Oberlander, “Resource Sharing Data: Mining for Selection & Meaning in Collection Development,” Against the Grain, vol. 16 (2), April 2004, p. 77-80.
- Buchanan, Sherry and Cyril Oberlander, “W-ILLiad2004: Western ILLiad User’s Meeting and the future of resource sharing,” OCLC ILLiad Newsletter, vol. 2, no. 2, Summer, 2004, p. 2, 4. Link
- Oberlander, Cyril and Dan Streeter, “LibStatCAT: a library
statistical collection assessment tool for individual and cooperative
collection development”. Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services, vol. 27, no. 4, Winter 2003, p 493-506
- Oberlander, Cyril and John Clarke, “Foray into meaningful data with ILLiad and OCLC Management Statistics,” OCLC ILLiad Newsletter, vol. 1, no. 3, Fall 2003, p. 2-3
- Oberlander, Cyril, “Access services and RILI: Great partnership opportunities,” College & Research Libraries News, vol. 63, no. 9, October 2002, p. 666-668
- Oberlander, Cyril and Mary Oberlander, “Books under glass: the Bibliotheque Nationale de France,” OLA quarterly, vol. 7, no. 1, Spring 2001, p. 4-6, 23
- Borrowing 101 for ILL—everything you always wanted to know but were
afraid to ask, ALA RUSA STARS pre-conference workshop, Philadelphia.
January 11, 2008.
- Deploying assistive technology across campus: a collaborative
approach, co-presented with Debbie Berkeley and Lori Kressin, ACM
SIGUCCS Conference on User Services 2007, Orlando, Florida, October
- Trends for Resource Sharing, VIVA ILL Forum, July 13, 2007.
- Resonant Resource Sharing: Transformation strategies for Resource
Sharing, New York State Resource Sharing Summit, June 5, 2007. Link
- Alternative Formats, for Yin & Yang: Bringing Balance to
Resource Sharing / ALA Annual RUSA STARS pre-conference. June 22, 2007.
- Deploying Assistive Technologies Across Campus: A Collaborative
Approach, co-presented with Debbie Berkeley, Lori Kressin, ACCS
(Association of Collegiate Computing Services of Virginia), April 18,
- Bridging the Library community with the rest of the web community,
RLG Programs Symposium: Discovery to Delivery in New Contexts, New York,
March 15, 2007. Link.
- Handheld Gizmos – Mobile Technology, co-presented with Bill Corey,
Zeke Crater and Leslie Johnston, UVa Library Winter Carnival, January 4,
- Transforming Document Delivery & Resource Sharing for today and
the New Year, Florida ILLiad Users Meeting, Orlando, December 6, 2006: Link
- Reinventing Resource Sharing: A discussion of emerging
possibilities, co-presented with Dan Wilson, UVA Health Sciences Library
at Virginia Library Association, November 9, 2006.
- Scanning Forum Concluding Session, at Scanning Forum Conference, November 7, 2006.
- Digitizing on Demand; co-presented with Bradley Daigle, UVA Rare
Materials Digital Services, at Scanning Forum Conference, November 6,
- Collaborative approaches to Alternate Text Production, co-panelist at Scanning Forum Conference, November 6, 2006.
- Borrowing versus Purchasing; co-panelist, September 14, 2006, NW ILL & Resource Sharing Conference, September 15, 2006
- Cultivating the Possibilities, Keynote and Summary program for the
Northwest Interlibrary Loan and Resource Sharing Conference, September
14-15, 2006: Link
- Transforming the document delivery and resource sharing engine.
Presented paper for Document Delivery & Resource Sharing Section at
IFLA World Library and Information Congress: 72nd IFLA General
Conference & Council. Link
- Emergent Resource Sharing & ILL, Presented at VIVA ILL Forum Program, July 21, 2006.
- Emergent Resource Sharing & Interlibrary Loan. Presented at PALINET ILL Conference, May 12, 2006. Link
- Collaborative Strategies: Next Steps for Service Design in
Collection Development, Resource Sharing, and Communities. Presentation
for OCLC, April 19, 2006.
- ILL Training, Needs & Technology Assessment, presentation &
facilitator for the ALA RUSA STARS ILL Discussion Group, January 21,
- Collaborative Strategies for Collection Development and Resource
Sharing, presented as panelist for “Automating Collaborative Strategies
for Collection Development & Resource Sharing,” September 15, 2005. Link
- Future of Resource Sharing, panelist presenter for the OCLC Resource Sharing ALA Forum, June 25, 2005.
- Information Visualization for Library Collection Development,
Reference and Research. ASIST Pacific Northwest Chapter Annual Meeting,
May 14, 2005. Link
- Purchase on demand: How do libraries develop better strategies for purchase on demand?
- OCLC Resource Sharing Advisory Committee, Presentation & Discussion Leader, May 5, 2005.
- Making Connections: Pioneering the Information Landscape, Oregon Library Association, April 2005.
- Resource Sharing Discoveries: Exploring What’s Possible with
Collaboration and Technology. International OCLC ILLiad Meeting, March
17, 2005. Webcast: Link
- What’s New? Scanning with a mobile workstation, Librarian Anywhere
and other ventures into the future of Resource Sharing. 6th Annual
TexShare ILL Workshop, Feb. 18, 2005.
- Direct Delivery: Distance Education and Remote User Library Services. 6th Annual TexShare ILL Workshop, Feb. 18, 2005.
- Information Visualization tools for collection development, reference and research, Online NW. January 21, 2005.
- Future of Content, co-presenting with Sherry Buchanan and Robin Ashford, Online NW. January 21, 2005.
- Customizing Routing & Workflows for on-campus and off-campus users, University of Wisconsin ILLiad Meeting, Nov. 17, 2004.
- ILLiad Statistics & Collection Development: Statistics &
Meaningful Data, University of Wisconsin ILLiad Meeting, Nov. 17, 2004.
- What's New? Scanning for Accessibility, Mobility & Beyond,
Librarian Anywhere & Customizing Technology, University of Wisconsin
ILLiad Meeting, Nov. 17, 2004.
- Direct Delivery: Presentation & Workshop for Distance Education
Resource Sharing Services, NW ILL & Resource Sharing Conference,
September 17, 2004.
- Scanning for Accessibility, Mobility and Beyond, NW ILL & Resource Sharing Conference, September 17, 2004.
- W-ILLiad 2004, OCLC ILL & ILLiad User’s Meeting, ALA Conference, Orlando, June 27, 2004.
- Oberlander, Cyril, Organized 2nd Annual Western ILLiad User’s Meeting, May 20-21, 2004.
- Western ILLiad User’s Meeting Keynote / Conclusion, 2nd Annual Western ILLiad User’s Meeting, May 20-21, 2004.
- Statistics for ILL & Collection Development, 2nd Annual Western ILLiad User’s Meeting, May 20-21, 2004.
- Customizing Routing & Other Workflows, 2nd Annual Western ILLiad User’s Meeting, May 20-21, 2004.
- Document Delivery & Distance Education, 2nd Annual Western ILLiad User’s Meeting, May 20-21, 2004.
- Digitizing the Stacks: Creating and evaluating a mobile wireless
library workspace, co-presented with Judy Anderson, Online NW, Feb. 20,
- Direct Delivery, A solution to the double delivery dilemma, ALA RUSA
MOUSS ILL Discussion Group Meeting, Midwinter Meeting, Jan. 10, 2004.
- Digitizing the Stacks: Moving a Scanner to the Shelf in a Wireless
Environment – The Wireless Book Truck Pilot, co-presented with Judy
Anderson, Library Online Conference 2003, Oct. 23, 2003.
- Direct to Patron Delivery, panelist presentation at Northwest Interlibrary Loan Resource Sharing Conference, Sept. 11, 2003.
- The Seventy-percent Solution: assessing criteria for model fund
allocations, group presentation, NASIG pre-Conference, June 26, 2003. Link
- LibStatCAT, Library Statistical Collection Analysis Tool,
co-panelist with Dan Streeter et al. for Collection Assessment, The
Acquisition Institute at Timberline Lodge, May 19, 2003.
- ISO Interlibrary Loan Requesting, PORTALS Resource Access Committee, May 2, 2003.
- Implementing Odyssey as a region, co-presented with Shawn Styer, NW ILLiad User’s Meeting, March 28, 2003.
- ISO ILL & ILLiad, co-presented with Shawn Styer, NW ILLiad User’s Meeting, March 28, 2003.
- Center for Research Libraries, Orbis and Interlibrary Loan, presentation for History faculty and students, January 15, 2003.
- STATCAT, OCLC Interlibrary Loan user’s group, Eugene, September 18, 2000.