Interim Library Director
- Collection Development
- Technical Services
Areas of Responsibility:
- Leads and manages library technical services operations and collection development activities
- Oversees acquisitions of print and electronic resources (books, journals, databases, etc.)
- Liaison to Communication department
- Reference collection development in English, Communication, American Studies and Film Studies
- Student and faculty research consultations
- MLS, University at Buffalo
- BA, English, SUNY Geneseo
- Individual Development Award, UUP Professional Development Committee, 2004-2005; 2007-2008
- RRLC Scholarship to the ARL Library Management SKills Institute I: The Manager, 2008
- Faculty Incentive Award, Tompkins-Castile Bank, 2005
- Sylvia Chu Memorial Scholarship, SUNY Librarians Association, 2003
- Lambda Alpha National Anthropology Honor Society
Service to College:
- Sexual Assault Teach-In Facilitator (Spring 2011), 2010-2011
- Student Conduct Board, 2008-present
- Faculty Learning Community, 2007
- Web Development Standards Team, 2007-2008
- Race, Campus & Culture Teach-In Facilitator (Spring 2008), 2007-2008
- Marshal at the 140th College Commencement, May 13, 2006
- Hurricane Katrina Teach-In Facilitator, Fall 2005
- College Senate, 2005-2007
- At-Large Senator (under 6 years), 2006-2007
- Departmental Representative, 2005-2006
- Student Affairs Committee, 2005-2007
- Summer Reading Program Committee, 2004-2006
- Summer Reading Book Discussion Leader, 2004-2008
Service to Library:
- Scholarly Communications Team, 2009-present
- Milne Wiki Committee, 2008-present
- Exhibits & Programming Committee, 2008-present
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Term Renewal Guidelines, member, 2008
- Library Management Team, 2008-present
- Help & Evaluation Guides Subcommittee, Chair, 2008-2009
- Collection Development Team, Chair, 2008-present
- Search Committee, Information Delivery Services Librarian, 2008
- Search Committee, Information Technology Instructor, 2008
- Librarian Salaries subcommittee, 2008
- Federated Searching Subcommittee, 2008
- GLOCAT Search Results subcommittee, 2008
- GLOCAT Collection Codes subcommittee, 2008
- GLOCAT Team, 2008-2009
- GLOCAT Study Group, 2007-2008
- Blog Content Subcommittee, Chair, 2007-2008
- Committee on Reappointments, Promotions and Discretionary Salary Increases, member, 2006-2009; Chair, 2007-2008
- Search Committee, Reference/Instruction Librarian, 2006
- Web Development Committee, Chair, 2005-2008; member, 2008-2010
- Web Content Subcommittee, Chair, 2006-2008
- Web Marketing Subcommittee, 2006-2008
- Friends of Milne Library, member of decorating committee, 2004
- Friends of Milne Library, webmaster, 2004-2006
- Faculty Bylaws Review Committee, 2004; 2007
- Information Delivery Services (IDS) Group, webmaster, 2003-2008
- ALEPH Redesign Committee, 2003-2004
- Creation Station Project Support Team, 2003-2004
- Co-authored with Timothy Bowersox, Cyril Oberlander and Mark Sullivan, Getting It System Toolkit: The GIST of making informed decisions and workflow of buying, borrowing, downloading or viewing. The 29th Annual Charleston Conference Proceedings, Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC. November 7, 2009. (In press, forthcoming).
- Pitcher, K., T. Bowersox, C. Oberlander and M. Sullivan. Point of Need Collection Development: The Getting It System Toolkit (GIST) and a New System for Acquisitions and Interlibrary Loan Integrated Workflow and Collection Development. Collection Management, 35: 3, 222-236.
- Pitcher (nee Merrill), Katherine E. Rev. of The Best of the Show: A Classic Collection of Wit and Wisdom, by Bill Scheft. Library Journal v130 n11 (June 15, 2005).
- ---. Rev. of Love, Poverty, and War: Journeys and Essays, by Christopher Hitchens. Library Journal v130 n1 (January 2005).
- ---. Rev. of Big Russ & Me: Father and Son: Lessons of Life, by Tim Russert. Library Journal v129 n12 (July 2004).
- ---. Rev. of The Fourth Network: How FOX Broke the Rules and Reinvented Television, by Daniel M. Kimmel. Library Journal v129 n10 (June 1, 2004): 150.
- ---. Rev. of The Checkbook and the Cruise Missile: Conversations with Arundhati Roy, by David Barsamian. Library Journal v129 n7 (April 15, 2004): 106.
- ---. Rev. of Tales from the Times: Real-Life Stories To Make You Think, Wonder, and Smile, from the Pages of The New York Times. Library Journal v129 n5 (March 15, 2004): 86.
- ---. Rev. of The Penguin Dictionary of Epigrams, by M.J. Cohen. Library Journal v128 n19 (November 15, 2003): 57.
- ---. Rev. of How Free Can the Press Be?, by Randall P. Bezanson. Library Journal v128 n18 (November 1, 2003): 109.
- ---. Rev. of It's a Man's World: Men's Adventure Magazines, the Postwar Pulps, by Adam Parfrey. Library Journal v128 n16 (October 1, 2003): 90.
- ---. Rev. of Front Page: Covers of the Twentieth Century, by Stephane Duperray and Raphaele Vidaling. Library Journal v128 n12 (July 2003): 96.
- ---. Rev. of Broadway Boogie Woogie: Damon Runyon and the Making of New York City Culture, by Daniel R. Schwarz. Library Journal v128 n7 (April 15, 2003): 99.
- ---. Rev. of Media Wars: News at a Time of Terror, by Danny Schecter. Library Journal v128 n10 (June 2003): 134.
- ---. Rev. of This Just In: What I Couldn't Tell You on TV, by Bob Schieffer. Library Journal v128 n1 (January 2003): 128.
- ---. Rev. of A Job to Die For: Why So Many Americans are Killed, Injured or Made Ill at Work and What To Do About It, by Lisa Cullen. The Shy Librarian v3 n1 (Spring 2003): 30.
- ---. Rev. of Making a Literary Life: Advice for Writers and Other Dreamers, by Carolyn See. The Shy Librarian v3 n1 (Spring 2003): 30.
- ---. Rev. of The Virginís Knot, by Holly Payne. The Shy Librarian v3 n1 (Spring 2003): 31.
- ---. Rev. of Banned in the U.S.A.: A Reference Guide to Book Censorship in Schools and Public Libraries, by Herbert N. Foerstel and Censored 2003: The Top 25 Censored Stories, by Peter Phillips and Project Censored. Library Journal v127 n20 (December 2002): 105-106.
- ---. Rev. of Journalism After September 11, ed. by Barbie Zelizer and Stuart Allan. Library Journal v127 n16 (October 2002): 109.
- ---. Rev. of The Guardian Columns: 1998-2000, by Julie Burchill. Library Journal v127 n13 (August 2002): 111.
- ---. Rev. of Chain of Love (Keten van liefde), dir. Marije Meerman. Educational Media Reviews Online 2003. 25 June 2003. http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/emro/emroDetail.asp?Number=1250.
- ---. Rev. of Lights for Gita, dir. Michael Vo. Educational Media Reviews Online 2002. 25 June 2003. http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/emro/emroDetail.asp?Number=1073.
- ---. Rev. of Children of the Seven-Headed Snake: The Sacred Waters of Cambodia, dir. Didier Fassio. Educational Media Reviews Online 2002. 03 February 2005. http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/emro/emroDetail.asp?Number=977.
- ---. Rev. of Between the Lines: Asian American Womenís Poetry, dir. Yunah Hong. Educational Media Reviews Online 2001. 03 February 2005. http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/emro/emroDetail.asp?Number=914.
- ---. Rev. of Precious Cargo: Vietnamese Adoptees Discover Their Past, dir. Janet Gardner. Educational Media Reviews Online 2001. 03 February 2005.
- The Getting It System Toolkit: The GIST of making informed decisions and workflow of buying, borrowing, downloading or viewing, co-presented with Timothy Bowersox, Cyril Oberlander and Mark Sullivan, at the Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC. November 7, 2009. Peer-reviewed.
- Putting It All Together: Designing a Library Website Using Project Management Techniques, presented at the 6th Annual Brick & Click Academic Libraries Symposium, Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, MO. November 3, 2006. Peer-reviewed.
- Getting It System Toolkit: Empowering Users & Libraries, and Optimizing Gift and DeSelection and More, co-presented with Cyril Oberlander and Mark Sullivan,at the SUNY Librarians Association Conference, SUNY Brockport, Brockport, NY. June 18, 2010. Peer-reviewed.
- Faculty Outreach: Strategies, Challenges, Tools and Tips, co-presented with Bonnie Swoger and Morgan Gwenwald at the SUNY Librarians Association Conference, SUNY Brockport, Brockport, NY. June 17, 2010. Peer-reviewed.
- GIST Demo and Feedback, co-presented with Timothy Bowersox and Mark Sullivan at the Information Delivery Services (IDS) Conference, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY. August 5, 2009. Invited speakers.
- Tweet to Me: Twittering Libraries and Librarians in SUNY, co-presented with Wilfred Drew, Carleen Huxley and Alesia McManus at the SUNY Librarians Association Conference, Onondaga Community College, Syracuse, NY. June 18, 2009. Peer-reviewed.
- Getting it Right: reshaping and redesigning acquisitions workflow in an academic library, co-presented with Timothy Bowersox at the WNY/O ACRL Spring Conference: Get it Where You Can: the Changing World of Collections and Acquisitions, St. Catharines, Ontario, CN. May 8, 2009. Peer-reviewed.
- Library and Information Science: The Job Hunt, a panel presentation participant as part of the 3rd Annual HIRE Education Conference, School of Education, University at Buffalo, Amherst, NY. November 15, 2008. Invited speaker.
- Traditional Communication Delivered Through New Technologies: A Library- Faculty Collaboration, co-presented with Virginia Jurkowski (SUNY Geneseo) at the 2008 SUNY Conference on Instructional Technologies, Genesee Community College, Batavia, NY. May 28, 2008. Peer-reviewed.
- Utilizing Blogging for Class Assignments, a poster session co-presented with Virginia Jurkowski (SUNY Geneseo) at the SUNY Geneseo Conference on Faculty-Student Partnerships: Current Trends of Technology in Teaching & Learning, SUNY Geneseo, Geneseo, NY. May 18, 2007. Peer-reviewed.
- Federated Searching: Just Because You Can, Does it Mean You Should? , co-presented with Stephan Macaluso (SUNY New Paltz), Mark Sullivan (SUNY Geneseo) and Colleen Lougen (SUNY New Paltz) at the 4th Annual SUNY ALEPH User's Group Conference, Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Johnstown, NY. October 9, 2006. Peer-reviewed.
- Pitcher, Katherine E. and Elizabeth Argentieri. “Marketing with Minerva: A Successful Library Fundraising Campaign”, a poster session presented at the SUNY Librarians’ Association Annual Conference, Geneseo, NY, 2006.
- Pitcher, Katherine E. and Mark Sullivan. “Delivering the Goods: Using Statistics and Data Analysis to Improve Information Delivery Services”, a poster session presented at the Eastern New York ACRL Spring Conference, Hamilton College, Clinton, NY, May 15, 2006.
- “Blogging for Librarians: Find & Read Blogs by Others! Create and Publish Your Own!”, a workshop presented at Southeastern New York Library Resource Council, Highland, NY, November 17, 2005.
- “Blogging for Librarians”, a workshop presented at Duchess County BOCES, Poughkeepsie, NY, November 16, 2005.
- “Alternative Press Resources”, workshop presented at the Rochester Regional Library Council, June 16, 2005.
- “Blogging 101: An Introduction to Blogging for Librarians”. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, New Paltz NY, 2005.
- “Friends Making Friends: Panel”. Co-presenters: Katherine E. Merrill and Elizabeth Argentieri. New York Library Association, Annual Conference, October 22, 2004.
- Merrill, Katherine E.; Davies, Kimberly; and Harrington, Alice. “Focus on Five: Using the First Five Minutes of Class to Grab Your Students’ Attention”. SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, Cortland, NY, 2004.
- “Civic Engagement Week: Multiple Perspectives on the Patriot Act: Panel”. Co-presenters: Katherine E. Merrill, Dr. Jeffrey Liles and Dr. Harry Howe. Presented as part of the GOLD Leadership Certificate Program, SUNY College at Geneseo, Geneseo, NY, February 16, 2004.