GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo is addressing bullying head-on with a daylong program Feb. 4 focusing on the growing national issue. "Wipe Out Bullying" will examine the problem at schools and in the workplace through lectures, discussions, a film screening and other sessions.
On campus for the program will be Jamie Nabozny, recently named a Defender of Human Rights by the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights, who will deliver the keynote address on his experience of being bullied at 7:30 p.m. in the MacVittie College Union Ballroom. Growing up, Nabozny was targeted for being gay and harassed. He ended up hospitalized and in surgery from a beating.
Nabozny fought back to help ensure that others receive a safe education, whatever their sexuality. His life has become a documentary, "Bullied: The Jamie Nabozny Story," which will be shown at 10 a.m. in the MacVittie College Union Ballroom.
"We are very fortunate to have Jamie with us for this important community forum," said Tom Matthews, associate dean of leadership and service at SUNY Geneseo. "Bullying is a growing national issue all around us that is often made worse by the pervasive media in our society. We want to do our part to educate people on the problem."
Other sessions during the day include an examination of whether vigorous debate can turn into bullying within the scope of academic freedom; a workshop on educating students with a social conscience to stop bullying; and sessions for K-12 school staff members on recognizing, preventing and intervening with bullying.
Here's a list of the day's events open to the public:
• 10 a.m. "Bullied: The Jamie Nabozny Story" screening (MacVittie Union Ballroom)
• 12:30 p.m. "Academic Freedom: Can Vigorous Debate Turn Into Bullying?" (macVittie Union Ballroom)
• 2:30 p.m. "Inspiring a New Generation: Educating Students With A Social Conscience to Stop Bullying" (MacVittie Union room 114)
• 4:15 p.m. "Recognizing, Preventing and Intervening with Bullying for K-12 School Staff" (MacVittie Union Ballroom)
• 5:45 p.m. "Preventing and Intervening With Bullying and Harrassment: The Role of Student Leaders and RAs" (MacVittie Union Ballroom)
• 7:30 p.m. "Bullied: The Jamie Nabozny Story" guest speaker (MacVittieUnion Ballroom)
The program is co-sponsored by SUNY Geneseo Residence Life, GOLD Program, Student & Campus Life, Center for Community, Student Association, Activities Commission, Ella Cline Shear School of Education, Geneseo Chapter of United University Professions and New York State United Teachers.
Media Relations Manager