Medical Crisis Services
- Geneseo Student Health and Counseling (Lauderdale Health Center, 585-245-5736/5716) is open Tuesdays from 8am – 7pm, and Mondays, Wednesday, Thursdays and Fridays from 8am – 5pm. Geneseo Health and Counseling does not provide medical crisis services although the health center can provide STI testing, emergency contraception, and referrals for care. (This is true of nearly all colleges and universities that are not affiliated with a major medical center). Students can contact Student Health and Counseling to schedule an appointment to discuss medical care options if desired.
- The College’s medical experts and law enforcement staff encourage(s) students who have been sexually assaulted to go to Strong Memorial Hospital (601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester NY 14642, 585-275-2100, general; 585-275-4551, Emergency Dept.) to be examined by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). If an assaulted student wants to keep open the possibility of prosecuting the perpetrator, s/he is advised to go to Strong Hospital for an examination and evidence collection. Strong Hospital has a unique Sexual Assault Forensic Examination Center staffed by SANE nurses (highly trained individuals who evaluate a victim’s medical status and collect/store evidence in the event of a criminal trial). The SAFE Center at Strong Hospital is open 24/7 and will administer emergency medical treatment and offer advocacy services. Other hospitals in the area can provide immediate medical treatment, although none currently are staffed with SANE nurses. The Police Department with jurisdiction where the assault occurred will be notified that a forensic examination is completed, but students are not required to file a criminal complaint or decide if they want to pursue legal charges at the time of medical examination.
- The Sexaul Assault Response Team (SART) can provide students seeking medical crisis services with hospital transportation. You can reach SART by contacting Pathways at (585)237-8860 from 8pm - 8am or by going to http://www.geneseo.edu/pathways
- The Livingston County Rape Crisis Hotline (now known as RESTORE) (1-800-527-1757) is available 24 hours to provide support and information, including information about crisis services. A trained advocate will offer to meet a sexually assaulted student at Strong or other hospitals to provide immediate support services.
- Other community resources include Lifeline, 1-800-310-1160 (TTY: 585-275-2700), RESTORE,1-800-527-1757, www.pprsr.org/rapecrisis, and Rape Treatment Information Center, www.911rape.org.