- PhD, Philosophy, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Kenkyūsei, Obirin University
- MA, Philosophy, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- BA, Philosophy, Eastern Illinois University
Compassion in comparative (East-West) ethics, the intersection of environmental ethics and applied ethics, Dōgen, Watsuji Tetsurō
Publications and Professional Activities
- “Suffering Well: Understanding the Qualities of Suffering through the Martial Arts.” In Damon Knight and Graham Priest, eds., Philosophy and the Martial Arts. Routledge (forthcoming).
- Compassion and Moral Guidance. University of Hawai'i Press Society for Asian and Comparative Philosophy Monograph Series, 2013.
- Purifying Zen: Watsuji Tetsurō's Shamon Dōgen. University of Hawai'i Press, 2011.
- "The Meaning of Repentance in Dōgen's Shushōgi." In Jason Tetsuzen Wirth, Kosho Itagaki, and Brian Shūdō Schroeder, eds., A Commentary on Dōgen's Shushōgi: The Meaning of Practice and Verification. University of Hawai'i Press (forthcoming).
- "What Is the Value of Poverty? A Comparative Analysis of Aristotle's Politics and the Shōbōgenzō Zuimonki." In Roger T. Ames and Peter Herschock, eds., Value and Values: Economics and Justice in an Age of Global Interdependence. University of Hawai'i Press (forthcoming).
- "Shinran and Dōgen." (Translator.) In James W. Heisig and T.P. Kasulis, eds., Source Book in Japanese Philosophy. University of Hawai'i Press, 2011.
- American Philosophical Association
- Society for Asian and Comparative Philosophy
- Continental and Comparative Philosophy Circle
- Society for the Study of Philosophy and the Martial Arts