College Senate Bulletin

Bulletin No. 4

October 2, 2003

Agenda: All-College Meeting, October 7, 2003
Agenda: College Senate Meeting, October 7, 2003

    • Fall 2003 College Senate Meeting Schedule
    • Call for Nominations: Nominations Committee and University Faculty Senator
    • Nominations Committee Update
    • Graduate Student Senator Named
    • Professional Leave Review Committee Membership Update

Minutes: Executive Committee Meeting, September 23, 2003
Minutes: Student Affairs Committee Meeting, September 23, 2003
Minutes: Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meeting, September 23, 2003
UCC Proposal Summaries

Correspondence: Charlie Freeman, Department of Physics,

Greene 202; e-mail:; phone: 245-5286

Agenda: All College Meeting, October 7, 2003

Call to Order

Nomination Committee Report

Presentation of Nominees for Faculty Personnel Committee

Presentation of Nominees for Committee on Nominations

Presentation of Nominees for University Faculty Senator

Call for additional nominations for Committee on Nominations

Call for additional nominations for University Faculty Senator


Agenda: College Senate Meeting, October 7, 2003

Call to Order

Adoption of the Agenda

Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting

pp. 26-27, Senate Bulletin #3

Senate Reports:

President Christopher Dahl

Provost David Gordon

Chair Charles Freeman

Vice Chair Gregg Hartvigsen

Treasurer Errol Putman

University Faculty Senator Bill Gohlman

Central Council Liz Dance

Reports of the Standing Committees of the Senate

Undergraduate Curricula Cynthia Klima

First Reading:

Revision or modification of a course – Dance Minor (p. 41)

Deletion of a course in the Core – S/ - Anth 110 (p. 41)

Revision or modification of a course – Biol 381, 382, 395, 399 (p. 41)

Undergraduate Policies Harold Hoops

Graduate Academic Affairs Dale Metz

Student Affairs Michael Lynch

Faculty Affairs Rosanne Hartman

Old Business

New Business


Fall 2003 College Senate Meeting Schedule

October 7 (Preceded by the All College Meeting at which the Committee on Nominations will report)

November 4

December 2

Calls for Nominations for Nominations Committee, and University Faculty Senator

Nominations are being accepted for three positions on the Committee on Nominations. Terms for the positions currently held by Anne Eisenberg , Ed Pogozelski, and Kathryn Rommel-Esham will begin December 1st and last for two years. Nominations can be sent to any of the current nominations committee members: Anne Eisenberg, Rachel Hall, Edward Pogozelski, Kathryn Rommel-Esham, Melissa Sutherland, or Jasmine Tang.

The Committee on Nominations is also soliciting nominations for University Faculty Senator. Bill Gohlman's term as UFS expires on May 31, 2004. Terms for this position last 3 years. Nominations for this position can be sent to the nominations committee members.


Nominations Committee Update

The nominations committee will present a list of candidates for the Nominations Committee, Faculty Personnel Committee, and University Faculty Senator at the All College Meeting on October 7, 2003. Additional nominations for Nominations Committee and University Faculty Senator will be accepted from the floor during this meeting.

Graduate Student Senator Named

Welcome to Carrie Reilly (Education) who has been appointed by the Dean's office to serve as a Graduate Student member on the Senate. Ms. Reilly will serve on the Graduate Academic Affairs Committee.

Professional Leave Review Committee Membership Update

Leonie Stone will replace Avan Jassawalla as the Professional Studies Representative on the Professional Leave Review Committee. Dr. Stone's term will expire in May of 2005.

Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting, September 23, 2003

Present: C. Freeman, C. Dahl, D. Gordon, C. Faulkner, T. Bazzett, E. Putman, G. Hartvigsen, B. Gohlman, L. Dance, R. Hartman, D. Metz, H. Hoops, M. Lynch

Approval of Minutes: Last Meeting (Sept 9, 2003), p 22-24, Bulletin 2—approved


Chair's Report - Charlie Freeman: Fall elections moving along. E. Pogozelski has contacted all those eligible for Faculty Personnel Committee. Will ask each dept. to nominate four people, but only one from that dept. Nominations due by Oct. 1. Also looking for nominations for nominations committee and the University Faculty Senator. Foreign languages has named 2nd dept. senator: G. Gouvernet. S. Burwood still looking for 3 grad student senators. Voting: G. Hartvigsen will sign out PRS clickers to senators, and Charlie will run software. Joe Remy, a student, will be parliamentarian.

Dahl: Have we had grad reps in the past? When was this representation level determined? 1970s? We only have 59 full time grad students—total headcount about 250—less than 5% of total student population. Seems maybe there should be less than 3 grad student reps.—especially since haven’t been able to find any. Freeman: Will have governance committee look into this.


President's Report - Christopher Dahl: Since we met at Senate, not a lot of new items. Standing committees of college—research, general education, and strategic planning—exist as part of by laws but not technically senate. Current chair of general education committee is Paul Schacht—he and the committee propose to change charge and membership provisions. Charge should be directly related to evaluating and assessing; membership should come not from departments but from nine core areas. Procedurally the president will propose to senate and get senate’s advice. Will circulate proposal to executive committee and will see whether we want to move forward. The full general education committee from last year supports this move.

D. Gordon: The motivation comes in part from the middle states review, when T. Greenfield invited chairs of core committees to sit on general education and that worked well. Also, assessment process now in place and the changes will make assessment go more smoothly. The core committee chairs would also be on committee that reviews assessment and recommends changes.

B. Gohlman: general education committee started in order to put together core and follow mandates from Albany. Now their role is different.

Dahl: new structure will save time and effort—be more efficient in dealing with SUNY central. Also, greater faculty control over curriculum.

Provost's Report - Dave Gordon: SUNY research foundation has sponsored awards dinner for outstanding research contributions. We had four nominees and two winners: J. Over, K. Deutsch

Vice Chair's Report - Gregg Hartvigsen: Excellence awards: we have 18 nominees, including three distinguished professors. One issue is composition of committee: we don’t have anyone to represent library, and one nominee for excellence in librarianship. But need someone who has won excellence award in the past. Dahl: thinks its just tradition, not in writing. Some of Dahl’s appointees have not been winners. Freeman: nothing in senate constitution re: composition. Dahl: check with Laura Wrubel. Hartvigsen will ask someone in library.

Past Chair - Terry Bazzett: no report

Secretary - Carol Faulkner: no report

Treasurer - Errol Putman: no report

University Faculty Senator - Bill Gohlman: no report

Central Council - Liz Dance: Currently finding new advisor, who they hope to appoint at next week’s mtg. Also want to appoint student court. At tomorrow’s meeting there will be an open discussion of ideas for promoting diversity on campus.

Dahl: Suggests print up statement on community and diversity, so students can refer to it in their discussion.

Committee Reports

Faculty Affairs Committee - Rosanne Hartman: no report

Graduate Affairs - Dale Metz: no report

Policy Committee - Harold Hoops: Concern over fire alarms going off during exams, where to handle this issue? How to handle fire alarms during exam in way that is fair to students?

Dahl: The alarms are supposed to be a surprise, so the issue is what to do as faculty member.

Hoops: can faculty call someone to prevent them from doing fire alarms during exams?

Dahl not sure who determines when or whether campus has control. Perhaps FAC can consult with campus emergency coordinator.

Bazzett: Kim Dalton responsible for scheduling and campus police carry out.

UCC - Cyndy Klima: no report

Student Affairs Committee - Michael Lynch: first mtg. today

Old Business

Professional Leave Review Committee Nominations: two vacancies

  • Professional Studies Rep: Leonie Stone. All in favor. Motion carries
  • Social Sciences Rep: TBA (Identified three people interested in serving, they will choose which of the three)

New Business

Undergraduate Student Senators: Does student member of executive committee count as a voting member of senate?

Background: constitution calls for 14 student senators, divided into14 standing committees, but it also states there will be one student rep. in exec. comm. who is a voting member on that committee. Bazzett informs that we have 14 plus the one on the exec comm., so 15 voting members in Senate. How to resolve?

Dahl: That student rep. to exec. comm. will vote is implied. Usually that student is vice chair of SA.

Gohlman: constitution says history dept. has two voting senators, but we have four b/c of Gohlman and Faulkner. He would interpret constitution has implying that as well

Dance: Was student on exec. committee originally from 14?

Freeman: this would mean they had double duty. Constitution also explicitly lists that University Faculty Senator is voting member.

Gohlman: amend constitution? Or interpret it that way?

Hoops: similar issue to the grad student representation. If take one rep. from grad students can transfer to undergrad representation.

Freeman notes that grad reps all appointed to Grad Affairs

Dance: supports that idea.

Freeman: governance committee look into an amendment that looks into reducing grad membership to 2 and raising undergrad to 15.

Submitted by C. Faulkner

Minutes of the Student Affairs Committee, September 23, 2003

Committee Members Present: M. Lynch, C. Annala, E. Bock, K. Davies, S. Enam, W. Freed, C. Geiger, R. Holthaus, D. McPherson, B. Nash, J. Principe, C. Rowley, J. VanRemmen, L. Zoller, T. Zollo.

Committee members not present: J. Hyman, J. Tang

The meeting was called to order at 4:00 PM and started with an introduction of the members present.

Review of Old Business

Promoting Student Health and Safety: At the end of last spring semester, representatives of SAC, SHAC, SVAC, as well as personnel from the admission office and orientation office, met to brain storm ideas related to health and safety issues. The tasks were to identify the needs and how to implement different strategies in order to promote continuity with current related activities. A tentative plan to develop a First Year Seminar was proposed. M. Lynch said that we missed a window of opportunity for the Spring semester because proposals were due 9/22. M. Lynch suggested that we put together a proposal for Fall 2004. In the original planning meeting, L. Sancilio pointed out that faculty will need to be involved in the proposal in order for it to work, so we need to recruit some other faculty. C. Geiger mentioned that maybe we can go to give a single presentation to departments that offer first year experience courses. Chemistry as well as physics, geology and biology have a first year experience courses and may welcome a presentation on health and safety issues as part of the curriculum.

Alcohol and Substance Use: The College has a grant to help develop a coalition between the College and community surrounding the impact of alcohol consumption on campus and in the village. As part of this initiative, local law enforcement provided a workshop for local bar owners and their employees on dealing with fake identification. B. Nash was present at the meeting and reported that the meeting was informative and the bar owners were very responsive. They will be more efficient checking ID’s and be alert to identify intoxicated students and not serve more alcohol. J. VanRemmen said that the group that met to talk about alcohol and substance abuse included people from the college, the community and students.

Late Knight Programs: M. Lynch shared an article from the Lamron about Geneseo Late Knight activities. In response to the students need to have an alternative to going to the bars, some activities under Dr. Bonfiglios’s initiative have been created. J. Principe said that this program has started slowly but it is taking shape. Around 60 students meet every Friday and Saturday night to take advantage of the different activities sponsored by the Late Knight Program.

Students with Disabilities: Last semester J. Tang expressed a belief that there is not always adequate support for students with disabilities. She talked with Provost D. Gordon and B. Glass of the Learning Center to develop workshops related to this issue. One such workshop was held on campus this September. C. Rowley said that the new faculty were instructed in this issue as part of the New Faculty Orientation Program.

CAS: The Union and Mary Jeminson are open until 2 and 4 PM respectively. Students continue to express concerns about food service on campus. Students report that $300 has been taken from their meal plan to cover the costs of recent dining hall construction. Another concern is the restriction on using their meal cards at the Big Tree Inn. Students can use their cards only on Tuesday through Thursday and can purchase meals only for themselves. They cannot treat anyone else with their card. Also, their meal plan money is not carried over from one semester to another. On a positive note, the cafeterias offer a varied menu for vegetarian diets. C. Annala asked if there are any coffee places open late nights. The new Java cafe will be open late and during the weekend. M. Lynch asked the student members of SAC to generate a list of concerns for next meeting.

Finally, M. Lynch gave brief updates on last year’s activities related to pledging, the tuition increase, and student printing accounts.

New Business

T. Zollo brought up the issue of student health insurance. Parents are concerned about the rise of the health insurance fee and they are unsure about why they have to pay more if their kids have insurance at home through their family plan. R. Holthaus explained the difference between the health insurance plan and the health insurance fee. The health insurance fee is to cover counseling, medications such as antibiotics, antivirus, cold medicine, etc. It was mentioned that there are some health insurance plans that students can purchase if they do not have family insurance, for example Young and Linfoot offers insurance for independent students. M. Lynch, who is on the Health Advisory Committee, reported that SHAC had discussed student health insurance at great length last year. T. Zollo said that New York State provides a plan called Child Health Plus that may be available to students at a low cost. [N.B., Following the meeting, R. Holthaus did some research on Child Health Plus and reported to M. Lynch that the insurance only covers individuals to the age of 18.] Most of the student members of SAC did not know what health insurance benefits they had. More discussion about the different HMO coverages was discussed.

D. McPherson expressed his wish that SAC continue working on problems related to alcohol and sexual violence.

The meeting adjourned at 5:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Michael Lynch

Minutes of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, September 23, 2003

Members attending: Cynthia Klima-Chair, Ed Spicka, Denise Sullivan, Sid Bosch, Joseph Cope, Olympia Nicodemi, Darrell Norris, Bob Owens, Amy Stanley, Gary Towsley, Anneliese Weibel, Zhiming Zhao, Janine Giordino, Maria Levis

Excused: Anna Kline, Sue Ann Brainard, Kathleen Hursh. Katie O’Neill

Visitors: Ray Spear

The meeting was called to order at 4:00 in Welles 111.

Action on Courses and Programs

1. Revision of possible Bio courses used for major elective credit. A maximum of four hours from Bio 299, Bio 381, Bio 382, Bio 395 and Bio 399 shall be used toward the Biology major. Passed unanimously.

2. Confusion on Phys 362, 363 and 372 in proposals submitted, titles of pdf files, and rationale for course revisions. Tabled until further clarification.

3. Deletion of ANTHR 110 Introduction to Archaeology from the Social Science core. ANTH 101 classes will handle students taking this course for S/ credit. Passed unanimously.

4. Proposed major changes for BA in Geography. Not all could access this file via internet; tabled until next meeting.

5. Revision of required hours in Dance Technique from 8 to 6 because Dance 105 is only offered every two years. Passed unanimously.

6. Proposed new course, THEA 347 Sound Design, and proposed deletion of THEA 244, Stage Electrics and Sound. Discussion on a needed mechanism that would evaluate participation in crew work, creativity, what new “knowledge” is learned, and time invested, because this translates into participation becoming a large component of student’s grade. Question raised about size of class and potential inequality in students’ assignments, if they work on various campus productions. Questions raised on depth of analysis and research in a 3-5 page research paper, and if this is substantial enough for a 300-level course. Member from THEA department to be invited to discuss this further at next meeting.

Motion to Adjourn

Respectfully submitted by Janine Giordano.

UCC Proposal Summaries:

Full Text versions available on the web at

Revision or modification of a course – Dance Minor, reduce number of dance technique requirements from 8 hours to 6 hours (revised minor). Rationale: It is difficult for students to complete the requirement in Danc. 105 Body Conditioning because it is offered only every two years. Thus, we propose that it be made elective, reducing the number of dance technique requirements from 8 hours to 6.

Deletion of a course in the Core – S/ - Anth 110, no interdepartmental impact. Rationale: Introduction to Archaeology was placed in the S core a long time ago. At that time it was offered every semester at a class size of 90 students. In 2000, the Dept. of Anthropology created the course Anth 101 S/M Exploration of Human Diversity. This course is taught every semester with a class size of 240 students. This course includes a section on archaeology and is aimed at providing S/M core credit in anthropology to the general student body. Introduction to Archaeology is now aimed primarily at anthropology students and as an elective to interested students in other majors. For example, during Spring 2003, 22 out of 41 people in the course were anthro majors. None of the remaining 19 students took the course for core credit. The same pattern was true in Spring 2002. As Anth 110 is still in the S core, even though students do not use it for such, it still gets assessed this way. Therefore, I propose to remove its S core status and assess it within the anthropology sequence instead, which is where it now belongs.

Revision or modification of a course – Biol 381, 382, 395, 399 Revised course description. Add statement to description: A max of 4 credit hours may be applied toward a major in biology. Bulletin description: See current undergraduate catalog and add the following statement to each course description listed above: A maximum of four credit hours from Biol 299, Biol 381,Biol 382, Biol 395 and Biol 399 may be applied toward the major in Biology. Rationale: The following courses: Biol 299, Biol 381, Biol 382, Biol 395, and Biol 399 are being revised to state that a maximum of four credit hours may be used from these toward the Biology major. This is so that most of a student’s elective credits may not be comprised of these courses.