College Senate Bulletin

Bulletin No. 15
April 14th, 2003

Contents

Announcements:                      
Spring Senate Meeting Date
Senate Office Elections
Senate Resolution Opposing System-wide Assessment
Call for Nominations for 2002-2003 Richard Roark Award
Minutes of the Research Council - 6 March, 2003
Minutes of the Student Affairs Committee - 18 March, 2003
Minutes of the Executive Committee - 1 April, 2003

                                 
 

Correspondence:  Terence Bazzett, Department of Psychology,

Sturges 34; e-mail: bazzett@geneseo.edu; phone: (245)-5248

 

Announcements:

Spring 2003 College Senate Meeting Schedule: All meetings will begin at 4:00 P.M. and will be held in Newton 204.

·         May 6th

 

Elections for Senate Offices

Elections for Senate officers are currently under way.  Members of the college community who are eligible to vote will receive information sheets in campus mail with a listing of candidates and instruction for electronic voting procedures.

 

Senate Resolution Opposing System-wide Assessment

The University Faculty Senate recently gathered at a plenary meeting in Ithaca New York.  At that meeting, concerns were raised about growing interest in standardized system-wide assessment among some members of the SUNY Board of Trustees.  The SUNY Senators and Campus Governance Leaders present at the plenary voiced unanimous opposition to such system-wide assessment.  The Senate leaders have asked that each campus present to their faculty senate body, a resolution expressing opposition to system-wide assessment.  Below is a draft resolution that will be considered by the Geneseo Senate Executive Committee at their next meeting.  The Executive Committee welcomes input from faculty members regarding editing of this resolution before it is presented to the faculty senate at our final meeting on May 6th.  If you have any comments, please send them to bazzett@geneseo.edu

 

Geneseo Resolution Opposing System-wide Assessment

 

WHEREAS: SUNY System Administration mandated that each campus create and implement a campus-based Assessment Plan for the General Education Program, and

 

WHEREAS: SUNY Geneseo has invested significant time, energy and money in creating a General Education Assessment Plan, which was approved by Geneseo's Faculty Senate and SUNY GEAR, and is currently in the first year of a three-year cycle of implementation, and

 

WHEREAS: any new mandated system-wide standardized General Education Program Assessment would disrupt and devalue campus-based assessment, and

 

WHEREAS: any new mandated system-wide standardized General Education Program Assessment would interfere explicitly with fundamental academic freedom and ultimately undermine the philosophy, rigor, and comprehensive nature of SUNY Geneseo’s General Education program, and

 

Whereas each SUNY campus is unique, having a different purpose and different levels of selectivity in admissions procedures, and

 

Whereas the SUNY system does not have adequate funding for existing mandates, and

 

Whereas the SUNY Board of Trustees has provided no compelling reasons, evidence, or problems warranting a standard general education assessment,

 

Therefore be it resolved, that the faculty of SUNY Geneseo will continue to utilize campus-based assessment and will not support any plan to implement system-wide assessment procedures.

 

Call for Nominations - 2002-2003 Richard Roark Award

Shortly after Richard Roark's untimely death in 1970, a group of his friends established an award to honor his memory. Richard's friends described him this way: "Richard was a special kind of human being who valued the humane and ethical above all else. He was a scholar and intellectual who treasured learning and especially books with which, he thought, every person could access the accumulated knowledge of all previous civilizations."

 

The Richard Roark Award is given to a graduating senior whose scholarship and community service exemplify the qualities that were so important to Richard. The recipient is given a stipend to purchase books, and the recipient's name will be inscribed on a plaque displayed in the MacVittie College Union. Please submit nominations by April 21 to Terry Bazzett, Department of Psychology, Sturges Hall.

 

Minutes:

 

Research Council Minutes

March 6, 2003

Present: Nader Asgary, Douglas Baldwin, Douglas Harke, David Johnson, Roxanne Johnston, David

Meisel, and Paul Pacheco

 

The Research Council met on March 6, 2003 to review the applications to the Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship program.  Nader Asgary, Vice Chair of the Council, convened the meeting in the absence of the Chair, who is the faculty mentor of one of the applicants.

 

Ten applications were received for the four available $2500 summer fellowships.  The following four students were selected to receive awards:

1.        Amy Carey                                    Faculty Mentors:  Amy Sheldon & Eric Helms

2.        Caitlin Cornwell                            Faculty Mentor:    Ganie DeHart

3.        Suzanne Engel                              Faculty Mentor:    Michael Rozalski

4.        Rand Matthew McGee                Faculty Mentor:    Leonie Stone

Gregory Inzinna was chosen as the alternate and will be awarded the fellowship if any of the recipients decline their award.

 

Subcommittees of the Research Council recommended the following awards for  Spring, 2003:

1.        Research Travel Grants               $23,010 to 41 faculty

2.        Incentive Grants                           $  3047 to 7 faculty

3.        Senate Small Grants                     $    692 to 5 faculty

 

Hurrell/McNaron Award     Anthony Gu, Assistant Professor of Business

 

Undergraduate Research Awards will be reported later after the reviews for the April 4, 2003 cycle are completed.

 

Minutes of Student Affairs Committee

March 18, 2003

 

Committee Members Present: M. Lynch, J. Principe, L. Zoller, J. Sergio, C. Rowley,

J. Tang, C. Tang, M. Esch, B. Nash, C. Annala, M. Fratto

Guests: J. Remy, J. Lieberman

Committee Members Absent: K. Davies, W. Freed, R. Holthaus, D. McPherson, P. Simmons, T. Zollo

 

The meeting was called to order at 4:02 pm.

 

Old Business

CAS Update:

M. Lynch said that as of March 18th he had not heard back from CAS about SAC suggestions or about the results of the survey taken last semester.

Student Health and Safety:

M. Lynch sent out an email to a number of committees and individuals on campus regarding SAC's interest in exploring enhanced educational opportunities to promote student health and safety.  He reported that approximately 10 people responded to the email indicating that they were interested in brainstorming some ideas.  Currently M. Lynch is trying to establish a meeting time for everyone to come together and talk further about the issue.

Budget:

Discussion occurred about opportunities on and around campus for students to get involved in budget advocacy activities.  There is an upcoming lobby day in Albany.  It remains unclear what will happen with the budget.  There are no current plans to cut back on staff, but there is concern about dwindling resources, which ultimately may impact the quality of services that the college has to offer unless the situation improves.  J. Sergio brought up the issue of students not voting.  Perhaps getting more students registered to vote would encourage politicians to look after their interests more.  SAC discussed the idea of a letter writing campaign that would include not only students but parents as well.  The idea of getting alumni and people who have donated money to the college involved was also discussed.

Pledging Proposal:

M. Lynch said that he had talked to Dean Sancilio and Kathy Trainor about the issue of pledging and initiation activities sponsored by student organizations. They both acknowledged that there are occasional concerns about the pledging and initiation activities of some groups, but there are relevant college policies in place pertaining to things like hazing and the use of alcohol by members of the college community.  There was discussion about whether or not policy is being enforced.  J. Remy indicated that there are three or more groups that are not covered specifically by IGC or AGC, but are recognized by the college.  M. Lynch replied that it is his understanding that all college groups and individuals are bound by college wide policies.  There was some general discussion about what the specific concerns are.  Unauthorized use of alcohol seemed to be the primary concern.  C. Annala pointed out that it might be students in general (not just certain student organizations) who need to be educated on the dangers of drinking.  J. Lieberman told the group a little about SA policy.  College sponsored events have to be alcohol free. There are consequences for groups that do not follow policy.  There haven’t been many incidents this year.  SA gets involved when violations are brought to their attention.  There was some discussion about what the best approach would be to address the situation.  Rather than create new policy targeting a handful of student organizations, perhaps it would be better at the beginning of each semester to remind all student organizations that pledging and initiation activities are to be alcohol-free.  It was suggested that SAC send a letter to Tom Rodgers (Director of Campus Activities) asking him to contact all student organizations at the start of the year and remind them of relevant college policy.  SAC will review this suggestion at the next meeting.

 

New Business

Students with Disabilities:

J. Tang had brought to the table the issue of students with disabilities.  There is concern on the part of some students and faculty that they are not receiving adequate support in meeting the needs of students with disabilities.  This issue will be looked into further in future meetings.

Student Printing Accounts:

M. Lynch brought up a point raised by K. Davies regarding student printing accounts.  Some majors and classes require that students print out more pages per semester than do other majors / classes.  As a result, they may incur additional printing costs.   Perhaps it would be more fair if students' printing accounts could be "weighted" by taking into consideration the particular courses they are enrolled in each semester.  SAC will discuss this issue in more detail in future meetings.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 5: 27 pm

 

Respectfully submitted,

Michael Lynch, Ph.D.

Chair, SAC

 

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

1 April 2003

Present:  T. Bazzett, C. Dahl, B. Dixon, G. Drake, C. Freeman, E. Gillin, W. Gohlman, R. Hartman, J. Lovett, M. Lynch, J. Zook

 

Call to Order

Chair Bazzett called the meeting to order at 12.48PM.

 

Adoption of Agenda

The agenda was adopted without corrections.

 

Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the Previous Meeting printed in Senate bulletin 13 were approved with the following corrections:

 

Change Jan’s Report from “The Committee wanted to avoid foisting a huge amount of governance decisions on the Faculty” to

“The Committee wanted to develop a governance structure that balanced meaningful faculty participation on College governance with the demands on time and energy that were required.”

 

Reports

Chair’s Report

1. Chair Bazzett congratulated Provost Dixon on her appointment as President of Truman State College in Missouri.

2. Nominations Committee Chair A. Eisenberg was rounding up the final candidates for Spring Elections. Bazzett said the ballots would go out on Monday, with a week available for casting votes. Bazzett praised M. Stopha for her work on the website. Also, he noted that there was still no candidate for Senate Secretary.

 

President’s Report

1. President Dahl said that the Commission on Diversity and Community has been working on a statement; he shared a draft version with the Executive Committee. Dahl wanted to bring this to Senate for discuss and would seek the Senate’s endorsement. He would like Central Council to discuss this as well. Dahl saw this statement as an important expression, particularly in a season when the legal debate on affirmative action was taking place. He did not characterize the statement as a policy statement, but it would go on record on record as the sense of the College

 

The statement, Dahl said, emphasized the educational and philosophical purpose of diversity. It also showed that our sense of diversity was not circumscribed, but embraced the notions of race, gender, sexual orientation, class, physical ability, etc.

 

2. Dahl also announced he would be lobbying Senators and Congressmen in Washington for funding.

 

Bazzett asked how the diversity statement would be used. Dahl said we would give it to job candidates, present it at new Faculty and Staff orientation, and publicize the statement in other ways.

G. Drake gave suggestions for editing one of the sentences about naming; Dahl said the sentence represented long and serious debates that had to be considered in the final wording. Lynch asked about the link between excellence and educational diversity, and Dahl thought this was an important connection to clarify.

 

3.   Dahl was consulting Department Chairs about appointing an Interim Provost. He particularly wanted to maintain seamless academic affairs functions during the transition. He looked forward to a strong search for a new Provost that we could possibly bring to a close by January.

 

J. Zook asked if this would be a national search. Dahl agreed. This would match both our affirmative action policies and precedent.

 

Dahl said that the College wants to place an ad in The Chronicle of Higher Education by the fall semester..

 

C. Freeman asked whether the Interim Provost could come from outside the College. Dahl said no—we would need continuity for this sort of interim position.

 

Dahl urged Executive Committee members to talk with h about any aspect of this process.

 

4.   Dahl has been assembling a Constitution and By-Laws Committee.

 

Provost’s Report
Provost Dixon expressed her mix of excitement over her new position and her sense of loss at leaving Geneseo. She then made two announcements:

 

1.   Intersession has been eliminated. Spring Semester 2004 will begin on 12 January. Dixon said she was grateful to all who participated in discussions about Intersession policy. She noted that the total number of people who came to Faculty/Staff forums was 55. She had also met with Faculty Affairs Committee.

 

The Provost has proposed to the President that S. Bailey be promoted to Dean of the College without a national search. The “Albany Plan” allows for such administrative promotions in to women and minorities. The Provost noted that this position was rare among American colleges and that the Constitution had no provision for a search for this position. The Department Chairs had no problem with her proposal. Moreover, the Provost noted, Bailey also provided continuity.

 

The Executive Committee saw no problems with this proposal, and W. Gohlman thought this was a good idea. Dahl reminded the Committee that any comments on the merits of the case should be made privately; our discussion here was procedural.

 

G. Drake (Secretary) asked when graduation would take place. Dixon said graduation in 2004 would be on 8 May; Spring Break would start on 8 March.

 

Vice-Chair’s Report

No report.

 

Former Chair’s Report

J. Lovett’s Governance Committee met recently. They have received another packet of governance materials to consider and would be probably be meeting with the President soon. The Committee was curtly looking at the roles and terms of Senate Officers; the structure and number of members of the Senate; the definition of  “Faculty”; and the distinction between College vs. Senate Committees. Lovett thought that the Committee’s report might not be ready for next spring as the Committee may need an additional semester to examine all of the appropriate issues.

 

 

Committee Reports

University Faculty Senator’s Report

W. Gohlman said that the University Faculty Senate would meet at Cornell this weekend. J. Bulsys (Communication) would be attending in Gohlman’s place; Chair Bazzett was also planning to attend.

 

Gohlman said the University Faculty Senate had concerns about Statewide Assessment.

 

Faculty Affairs Committee Report

R. Hartman said her Committee had met before Spring Break. They discussed Intersession and also how to create registration times that would not conflict with class times.  Dean of the College S. Bailey has stressed that registration schedule has not been finalized, and she asked for input.

 

Policy Committee Report

E. Gillin reported that his Committee had also met before Spring Break. The Committee passed a modification of the grade appeals process. The Committee would also be discussing the School of Education proposal to alter admissions policy.

 

Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Report

J. Zook said her Committee would meet this afternoon and have proposals to go into the Senate Bulletin. 

 

Student Affairs Committee Report

M. Lynch said that his Committee had continued discussing student health and safety. SAC has solicited campus committees to develop seminars on these issues. SAC would set up an initial planning meeting in the next couple of weeks.

 

SAC has also been discussing a proposal related to alcohol policy in pledging and initiation activities and whether a policy existed to cover this. The Committee passed a resolution asking the Director of Campus Activities, T. Rodgers, to send out a reminder each semester to all college organizations about the College’s alcohol policy.

 

Old Business

There was no old business.

 

New Business

There was no new business.

 

Adjournment

Chair Bazzett adjourned the meeting at 1.15PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Graham N Drake

College Senate Secretary