College Senate Bulletin

Bulletin No. 4
October 7th 2002

Contents

Agenda: 2002-2003 All College Meeting, 8 October 2002
Agenda: 2002-2003 College Senate Meeting, 8 October 2002
Announcements:
Fall Senate Meeting Listing
2002 Candidates for Committee on Nominations
2002 Candidates for Personnel Committee
Welcome to New Senators
Minutes from College Senate Meeting, 17 Sept 2002
Minutes of the Student Affairs Committee, 24 Sept 2002
Minutes of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 1 Oct 2002
UCC Proposal Summaries
Senate Member List


Correspondence: Terence Bazzett, Department of Psychology,

Sturges 34; e-mail: bazzett@geneseo.edu; phone: (245)-5248

Agenda:

All College Meeting

October 8th, 2002

Call to Order


Nomination Committee Report

Presentation of the Nominees for the Faculty Personnel Committee
Presentation of the Nominees for the Committee on Nominations
Call for additional nominations for the Committee n Nominations

Adjournment

Agenda:

College Senate Meeting

October 8th, 2002

Call to Order

Adoption of the Agenda

Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meetings

pp. 26-29, Senate Bulletin #4 (this bulletin)

Senate Reports

President Christopher Dahl

Provost Barbara Dixon

Chair Terence Bazzett

Vice Chair Charles Freeman

Treasurer Maryellen Schmidt

University Senator William Gohlman

Central Council Joshua Lieberman

Reports of the Standing Committees of the Senate

Undergraduate Curricula Judith Bushnell

First Reading:

Revision of a Minor Program

Asian Study Minor - Add ANTH 301 to possible electives (p.32)

Course Revision

COMN368 (p.32)

ENGL222 (p. 32)

MATH213 (p.32)

Undergraduate Policies Edward Gillin

Graduate Academic Affairs Dale Metz

Second Reading:

New Course:

CDSC 436: Communicative Disorders Research (pp. 22-23, bulletin 3)

Student Affairs Michael Lynch

Faculty Affairs Rosanne Hartman

Old Business

New Business

Adjournment

Announcements:

Fall 2002 College Senate Meeting Schedule:
October 8 (Preceded by the All College Meeting at which the Committee on Nominations will report.)
November 12
December 3

2002 Candidates for Faculty Personnel Committee:

The Committee on Nominations has determined that the following individuals should be placed on the

ballot for election to the Faculty Personnel Committee (for a two-year term beginning December 1, 2002):

Ken Asher (Professor, English)

Doug Baldwin (Associate Professor, Computer Science)

Rose-Marie Chierici (Associate Professor, Anthropology)

Celia Easton (Associate Professor, English)

Dave Geiger (Professor, Chemistry)

Bill Gohlman (Associate Professor, History)

Ron Herzman (Distinguished Teaching Professor, English)

Sonja Landes (Associate Librarian, College Libraries)

Chris Leary (Professor, Mathematics)

Jan Lovett (Associate Professor, Biology)

Alan Lutkus (Associate Professor, English)

Paul Maclean (Associate Librarian, College Libraries)

Tom MacPherson (Associate Professor, Art)

Duane McPherson (Associate Professor, Biology)

Dave Meisel (Distinguished Professor, Physics)

Darrell Norris (Professor, Geography)

Robert O’Donnell (Professor, Biology)

Michael Oberg (Associate Professor, History)

Jeff Over (Professor, Geological Sciences)

Nick Paternostro (Associate Librarian, College Libraries)

Paul Schacht (Associate Professor, English)

Walter Soffer (Professor, Philosophy)

Dan Strang (Professor, Business)

Gary Towsley (Distinguished Teaching Professor, Mathematics)

2002 Candidates for Committee on Nominations:

The individuals listed below have agreed to run for election to the Committee on Nominations (for a two-year term beginning December 1, 2002). Additional names may be forthcoming, and nominations can also be made from the floor of the Senate on October 8th.

Ken Deutsch (Political Science)

Rachel Hall (English)

Alan Lutkus (English)

Michael Rozalski (Education)

Elias Savellos (Philosophy)

Melissa Sutherland (Mathematics)

 

Welcome New Senators:

After unanimous Senate approval of Rosanne Hartman (Communications) to serve as a Senator at Large replacement, Andrew Herman has been selected as a new Departmental Senator to represent the Communications Department. Congratulations and welcome Andrew.

Rosemary McEwen has been selected to serve as a Departmental Senator by the Foreign Language Department. Recent expansion of the Foreign Language Department has necessitated the need for an increase in their representation in the college Senate. Congratulations Rosemary and welcome.

Minutes:

Minutes of the College Senate Meeting

Newton 204

17 September 2002

Present: D. Anderson; C. Annala; S. Bailey; P. Barber; T. Bazzett; J. Bearden; T. Book; S. Brainard; T. Buggie-Hunt; J. Bushnell; M. Chang; J. Cope; C. Dahl; G. Dingeldein; G. Drake; A. Eisenberg; K. Farrell; W. Freed; C. Freeman; C. Geiger; R. Gifford; E. Gillin; W. Gohlman; G. Gouvernet; D. Granger; L. Hall; K. Hannam; R. Hartman; A. Herman; D. Johnson; J. Kirkwood; A. Kline; K. Levison; M. Lima; M. Lynch; D. McPherson; D. Metz; D. Norris; N. Paternostro; E. Pogozelski; R. Pretzer; S. Salmon; P. Schacht; M. Schmidt; A. Sheldon; M. Stolee; D. Sullivan; M. Sutherland; G. Towsley; A. Weibel; C. Woidat; R. Young; T. Zollo; J. Zook; A. Conklin; J. Colosi; M. Fratto; J. Garvey; A. Hassid; J. Lieberman; K. O’Neill; N. Passer; J. Principe; J. Remy; J. Rice; J. Sergio; C. Whalen; J. Winkler; P. Wong; L. Zoller. Guests: S. Frisch, S. Regina, L. Wrubel.

Call to Order

Chair Bazzett called the meeting to order at 4.05PM.

Adoption of the Agenda

The agenda was approved unanimously.

Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting (p. 363-369, Senate Bulletin 19, May 2002) were approved unanimously.

Senate Reports

President’s Report

  1. President Dahl described the new year as off to good start. We have strong enrollment with the highest freshman SAT scores in our history. The incoming class is a diverse and interesting group of people. Geneseo has also been ranked as the #2 public university in the Northeast and #24 in Kiplinger’s “Top 100 Values” in college education. Dahl conceded that the rating is superficial, but is good to have such ratings looking good rather than bad.
  2. The State Budget, however, does not look as pretty. Dahl and Vice-President Levison will publish a detailed report on how the College carved away the $1.45 million in cuts and how this affected the campus budget. If Senate desires, the President can also provide a line-by-line budget. We are preparing for another bad year; the College is asking Deans, Department Chairs and Directors to use caution in hiring. We may not conduct (or we may at least delay) some faculty searches, and we will restrict authorization for travel. But we do not have layoffs or cancelled sections: Dahl underscored his commitment to faculty employment and a full academic program for students.

So the prognosis for the current year is constraint. But we are doing a lot to make the College a good place for study and work because we have been careful.

We will not know much about the Budget until after the state elections. There could be a mid-year cut, but this is only a possibility. After the election, we may be able to discuss long-delayed issues in tuition policy.

  1. The Strategic Planning Group (SPG) has worked to define six goals and have presented them to the President. He will meet with the SPG and share the new College Planning Document with the Senate this fall.
  2. The College is planning symposia addressing what has happened to the world since Sept 11.
  3. The Commission on Diversity will meet Thursday and present a Statement on diversity; they may ask Senate to endorse this . The Commission will be reporting on campus atmosphere through student/staff response to surveys, etc. Dahl commended a teleconference on the 26th for all interested in building diversity and in addressing affirmative action as a legal issue. Becky Glass will facilitate the teleconference from Newton 208, with additional viewing locations throughout the campus.

Provost’s Report

Since the SUNY Chancellor had asked Provost Dixon to serve on a Task Force in Albany today, the President passed on here report.

  1. The Task Force on Faculty Roles, Rewards, and Evaluation is in a discussion phase, looking at Ernest Boyer’s book on this; they will be meeting for two hours a week to discuss these issues. The Task Force will keep the College in touch on a semester-by-semester with reports to Faculty Affairs, President, and Senate.
  2. The Provost encourages attendance at the Honors Convocation on 2 November. The Convocation will recognize both the scholarship among students during Family Weekend and also that of Geneseo Class of ’76 alumnus Leo Lambert, who will receive an honorary degree. Dr Lambert is President of Elon University in Elon, North Carolina. His specialty is faculty development, roles, and rewards, so he will show up a day early to conduct a workshop with the Task Force and interested faculty.

Chair’s Report

1. Chair Bazzett thanked the Student members for the list of Student Senators’ names; he was still waiting on the Graduate Senators’ names. He planned to have a complete list of Senate by next week. He also thanked those who volunteered as Committee Chairs.

2. B. Glass from the Teaching Learning Center (TLC) has notified Senate that the TLC (Milne 208) can be reserved for College Senate Committee meetings. Chairs may reserve through email or tlc@geneseo.edu

3. C. Bickle (Provost’s Office) will be making Senate Bulletins available online; Senators will also be receiving these.

4. After a problematic vote count on the second reading for a School of Education proposal last spring, Associate Provost Padalino suggested using electronic handheld voting devices, known as PRS devices. These devices would work faster than paper ballots and more accurately than hand counts. Bazzett stressed that we would not be using PRS devices for every vote. The process would be too slow for Curriculum Committee reports with fifty items of business. Instead, these would be used for occasions when we would have used hand counts or paper ballots in the past.

Vice-Chair’s Report

Using a high-tech drawing on the ELMO, Vice-Chair Freeman explained how to use the PRS devices. He explained the power button and how the buttons 1, 2 and 3 correspond to votes of AYE, NAY, and ABSTAIN, respectively. Each “clicker” (the colloquial name for PRS devices), he explained, also has a unique number (the number following “101” on the back of the device.

Freeman also pointed out the receivers set up in Newton 204, and he directed Senators to point their clickers towards the receivers in a practice vote. This allowed him to demonstrate the interface system on the screen that verifies that a clicker has registered a vote (without revealing the vote recorded by an individual clicker). The system also does not allow anyone to record a vote twice, and provides a color graphic to summarize final votes. While Freeman conceded that there were a few software issues to be worked out (for example, counting the precise numbers of votes) , he assured the Senate these would be resolved soon.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer M. Schmidt asked the Senate to let her know about any condolences the Senate might need to send out. Her email address is schmidt@geneseo.edu .

University Faculty Senator’s Report

W. Gohlman announced that the University Faculty Senate would meet 17-19 October in Purchase. Anyone with concerns to pass along to the University Faculty Senate should go to Gohlman or to Bazzett.

Central Council Report

1. J. Lieberman reported that Central Council would be meeting weekly at 6.15PM in the Hunt Room.

2. On the anniversary of the events of September 11, Central Council provided ribbons for students and anyone else interested in the remembrance; about 3000 people participated in observances.

3. A free airport shuttle bus to the Rochester airport will be available for students at peak times such as before and after Fall Break, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, etc.

Reports of the Standing Committees of Senate

UCC

J. Bushnell said that UCC would meet sometime before the next Senate meeting. Committee members should look for more information on email.

Policy Committee

No report.

Graduate Affairs

D. Metz moved the first reading on a new course:

CDSC 436: Communicative Disorders Research

The motion passed unanimously.

Student Affairs

M. Lynch said the Committee would meet next Tuesday. The Committee would continue discussion from last year of sexual assault and student alcohol abuse. The Committee would also develop new agenda items.

Faculty Affairs Committee

R. Hartman said her Committee would meet soon, and that she would contact members with the date and time.

Old Business

Bazzett explained that there had been a discrepancy in the voting for a School of Education proposal last spring. However, the School of Education was now reexamining resources, so they had withdrawn the proposal and would submit a revised proposal to UCC. For the moment, then, there would be no second vote.

New Business

Approval of New Members

1. C. Woidat (English) was nominated to replace Tze-ki Hon (History) as Senator-at-Large, under six years, 2002-2003. The Senate approved her membership unanimously.

2. R. Hartman (Communication) was nominated to replace J Fowler-Morse (School of Education) as Senator-at-large, over six years, 2002-03. The senate approved her membership unanimously.

Adjournment

The Senate moved to adjourn at 4.36PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Graham N Drake

College Senate Secretary

Minutes of the Student Affairs Committee

24 September 2002

Present: M. Lynch, C. Annala, A. Conklin, M. Fratto, W. Freed, J. Garvey, C. Geiger, G. Gouvernet, R. Holthaus, D. McPherson, J. Principe, J. Sergio, P. Simmons, C.M. Tang, J. Tang, L. Zoller.Guest: H Levine

The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

Old Business

Transportation

McPherson: New bus service is now available for student transportation. Efforts of Vice President B. Bonfiglio were recognized.

Lynch: Asked if there were any plans to if assess the new bus service was meeting student needs.

McPherson: Indicated that Bonfiglio may have more information about assessment.

Discussion: Service; routes; how costs covered; need for additional promotion and assessment.

Sexual Assault

McPherson: Reviewed relevant points from SAC minutes of April 16, 2002. Possibility of a student-based advocacy and support group for victims; some students have been trained by Planned Parenthood.

Levine: Discussed problems with having a designated Health Service staff member for sexual assault. Instead, the all of the Health & Counseling staff received training over the summer on dealing with victims of sexual assault.

Lynch: Asked Levine about the training of the Health & Counseling staff.

Levine: The staff received training from an area professional on rape crisis. She indicated that the nurse practitioners and psychologists have a good understanding about interacting with victims. She also pointed out the need to have periodic refreshers for the entire staff.

McPherson: Discussed the option of using the University Police web page to report sexual assault and said that progress on this issue should be checked. Also pointed out that there is transportation available for victims.

Lynch: Asked for input on what the next steps should be for this year.

Levine: (1) Share information between the SAC and the Sexual Violence Awareness Committee. (2) The need to get information out to students where they can go for help, there is currently a plan to place stickers in bathroom stalls that should be in place this fall. (3) A brochure for students is in the works. (4) Updates to the Sexual Violence Awareness Committee web page are underway to include in-depth and detailed information about where to get help. (5) Levine also explained rationale for using Noyes hospital instead of Strong (Less crowded, so victims do not have to wait possibly several hours for attention during a very stressful time.)

Tang, C-M: Suggested that we should focus more on prevention this year.

Levine: The Sexual Violence Awareness Committee is primarily concerned with prevention, input from the SAC would be very helpful.

Student Alcohol Use

Lynch: Asked where the committee finished last year on alcohol issues

McPherson: Last year’s committee was just getting started. 1) Provide more alcohol free activities on campus. 2) Suggested working with local bars to avoid promotions that encourage risky behavior e.g. Ladies Night, etc. There were no specific projects outlined last year.

Lynch: Passed out detailed recommendations from student J. Remy as a possible framework for thinking about the issues.

Sergio: Suggested that education efforts may be falling on deaf ears. Resources may be better used elsewhere. Asked how much of an alcohol problem is there on campus.

Discussion: Alcohol use is prevalent among students.

Sergio: Problem may be more associated with age, wondered whether the alcohol problems are more of an issue for students under twenty-one.

Lynch: (1) Asked whether or not the SAC should survey the campus or if there is existing data that may inform this discussion. (2) The survey might identify related health and safety concerns.

Discussion: What are the penalties for being caught? What is campus policy about student drinking in general and about under-age drinking in particular?

McPherson: (1) Need to understand student health issues associated with irresponsible alcohol use. (2) What can we do to facilitate the maturation process, particularly if it is true that the alcohol problem is mostly an issue for under-age students?

Discussion: (1) University of Police or the Dean of Students may have data. (2) The use of the freshman seminar for discussing alcohol issues, perhaps lengthening the seminar to give adequate attention to sexual violence and alcohol issues.

Lynch: Issues related to student alcohol use will be an on-going discussion throughout the year. Lynch will meet with Bonfiglio to ask about data and discuss this issue.

Holthaus: A survey is going to be conducted by the Division of Student and Campus Life to assess Greek life, that data may be available to the SAC.

New Business

Lynch: Should the committee request a final report on the death of student Jeremy Byrnes?

Discussion: Incoming freshman and their parents had many questions that the Freshman Orientation Advisors could not answer during tours. The students had the impression that this was unacceptable to the parents. More information would help to clear up rumors, and address issues of safety. It was agreed that it would be healthy for the campus to receive more information.

Lynch: Asked about input on other issues for SAC to consider this year.

Sergio: (1) Student parking. (2) CAS meal plan.

Lynch: Proposed that the students select a liaison to work directly with him to help set the agenda for SAC meetings.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Michael Lynch

Chair, SAC

Minutes of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee

October 1, 2002

Members attending: Judy Bushnell, Gary Towsley, Liz Hall, Denise Sullivan, Joshua Winkler, Kathleen O’Neill, Pei Lin Wong, Sue Ann Brainard, Anna Kline, Joseph Cope, Barbara Welker, Amy Stanley

Visitors: Tze -Ki Hon,, Ed Spicka,

The meeting was called to order at 4:00 in Sturges 114.

Action on Courses and Programs

1. Revision of the Asian Studies Minor. This revision adds ANTH 301 to the possible electives of the program. A question was raised. Does this course cover Asian religion as a significant portion of its content. The response was that Asian religions form 2/3 of the contents of this course. Passed unanimously.

2. Revision of COMN 368 Research in Media and Cultural Studies: This is a revision of the description of the course. Passed Unanimously.

3. Revision of ENGL 222 Exploring the Renaissance. This revision would allow a student to take this course twice for credit if the content of the two offerings were significantly different. Passed unanimously.

4. Revision of MATH 213 Calculus for the Social Sciences:This revision adds MATH110 and MATH 112 to the possible prerequisites for the course. Passed Unanimously.

Old Business

1. The old on-line form for course revision or submission would not allow easy amendment. The newest version of the form does allow easier editing.

2. There is still a problem with the on-line versions. The checked boxes do not always give a clear indication of yes or no. It appears that using Netscape as the browser improves the situation somewhat but may irritate Bill Gates. The Dean’s office will look into the problem.

New Business

There was a request to change the meeting time to 3:00 on Tuesday. This change would result in a conflict for several committee members so the time for the meeting will remain 4:00 on Tuesdays.

Motion to Adjourn

Respectfully submitted by Gary Towsley whose spell checker is temporarily unavailable.

UCC Proposal Summaries:

(Full text proposals are available for review by contacting the Office of the Dean of the College)

Program revision - Asian Studies Minor. Add Anth 301: Ethnography of Religion to the list of courses eligible to fulfill the minor. Rationale: Dr. Zhiming Zhao, the Anth 301 instructor, is a specialist in the

ethnography of Chinese religion and makes extensive use in the course of his research data on religion in China and Hong Kong.

Course revision: Comn 368: Critical Studies in Mass Media. Change course title to Research in Media and Cultural Studies. Change description to: This course explores and applies selected textual, qualitative and critical perspectives in media studies, as well as an overview of major trends and developments in contemporary research in this area. Research methods in media and cultural studies are emphasized.

Prerequisite: Comn. 251. 3(3-0) Rationale: The change will: provide the Journalism and Media Studies track with a research-oriented course comparable to Comn 380, Communication Research, the research methods course in the Interpersonal/Organizational track; give the course a broader focus than its current focus on cultural and critical analysis of media; provide a research methods component; broaden the courses emphasis so that more faculty will have the expertise to teach it.

Course revision: Engl 222: Exploring the Renaissance: (Subtitle). Add to course description: May be taken for credit twice under different subtitles. Rationale: Engl 222 features a variety of topics that have in common the central learning outcome of enabling students to write critical analyses of Renaissance texts. However, the areas of Renaissance literature covered by different sections of the course do not overlap. For example, Love and Money in the Renaissance studies Renaissance plays, lyric poems, and essays. Harry Potter and the Renaissance Epic, by contrast, uses a popular twentieth-century text as a means to introduce

students to readings in Renaissance epics. The change will align with other English slot courses.

Course revision: Math 213: Applied Calculus. Change prerequisites to Math 110 or Math 112 or 4 years of high school mathematics. Not available to students with credit for Math 221. 4 (4-0). Rationale: Both Math 110 and Math 112 contain the algebra and analytic geometry necessary for success in Math 213. Math 112 also contains a fair amount of trigonometry which is not utilized by the School of Business in their coursework. Students who arrive with a weak math background would be well advised to spend their time with aspects of college algebra; Math 112 would still be a good choice for students who need more than one semester of calculus.