College Senate Bulletin
State University of New York at Geneseo
College of Arts and Sciences

 

 

Correspondence: Dennis Showers, School of Education, South Hall 222C, email: showers@geneseo.edu, 245-5264

Note:  Page numbers indicate pages as per paper copy of the Bulletins

Bulletin No. 5

      Pages 36 - 44
      January 26, 2012

 

Contents

Page             Topic

37                    Agenda: Senate Meeting on January 31

38                    Minutes: College Senate meeting on November 8, 2011

41                    Minutes: FAC meeting on November 15, 2011

41                    Minutes: College Senate meeting on December 6, 2011

44                    Minutes: FAC meeting on December 31, 2012    

                       

Correction: In Bulletin #4, page 36, the minutes of the SAC meeting of November 11, 2011 reported that “Other: a ‘town-gown’ task force is being created: Jerry Alonzo (Geneseo resident; retired Judge) and Dick Hathaway (Mayor; retired Geneseo faculty) will serve as Co-Chairs.” This should state that the Task Force chairs have not been finalized

 

Agenda for Senate Meeting

January 31, 2012

Call to Order                                                                                                    5 minutes

Adoption of the Agenda (CSB #5, p. 38)

Adoption of the Minutes

            Senate meeting: November 8, 2011(CSB #5, pp.

            Senate meeting: December 6, 2011 (CSB #5, pp.

 

Guests/Other Reports                                                                                     15 minutes

            David Gordon: College Assessment Advisory Council

 

Senate Reports                                                                                               15 minutes

President                                    Christopher Dahl

Provost                                       Carol Long

Chair                                          Dennis Showers

Vice Chair                                  Jim Williams

Past-Chair                                  David Granger

Secretary                                    Cheryl Kreutter

Treasurer                                    Aaron Steinhauer

University Faculty Senator         Gregg Hartvigsen

Vice President, Student Asso    Tyler Ocon

 

Reports of the Standing Committees of the Senate                                         10 minutes

Undergraduate Curricula                Ren Vasiliev

Undergraduate Policies                  Jeff Over

Graduate Academic Affairs            Susan Salmon

Student Affairs                                Dan Repinski

Faculty Affairs                                James McLean

 

Old Business

 

New Business

 

Adjournment:  5:15  

    

College Senate Meeting Minutes

November 8, 2011

Present:

B. Ahmed, J. Aimers, J. Allen, K. Becker, R. Coloccia, C. Dahl, K. Davies-Hoffman, L. Dougherty, B. Evans, D. Farthing, V. Farmer, K. Felter, K. Fletcher, L. Gao, J. Giorgione, D. Granger, C. Haddad, K. Hannam, B. Harrison, G. Hartvigsen, A. Heap, A. Hernandez, S. Iyer, J. Katz, J. Kernan, M. Klotz, C. Kreutter, C. Leary, M. Lima, C. Long, J. Lovett, D. Mackenzie, T. Macula, V. Markowski, M. McCormick, J. McGarrah, P. McLaughlin, J. McLean, D. McPherson, J. Meagher, J. Miller, M. Mitschow, M. Mooney, L. O’Brien, T. Ocon, J. Over, P. Pacheco, E. Pogolelski, D. Repinski, D. Rescott, M. Rogachefsky, S. Russell, S. Salmon, E. Savellos, D. Showers (Chair), D. Simmons, M. Stolee, S. Stubblefield, A. Tajima, D. Tamarin, R. Vasiliev, H. Waddy, B. Weigman, J. Williams, A. Yauney

 

Guests

Dan Strang, Faculty Athletic Representative

Paul Pacheco, Research Council

 

Call to order

D. Showers (Chair) called the meeting to order at 4:04 PM.     

 

Adoption of Agenda

November 8, 2011 agenda accepted without objection

 

Adoption of Minutes

Minutes of September 13, 2011 accepted without objection.

Minutes of October 18, 2011 accepted without objection

 

Guest Dan Strang

Student athletes nominate faculty members who have provided strong support for SUNY Geneseo athletic  program.  These faculty are honored at a game.  This fall 34 faculty named.

 

Guest Paul Pacheco, Chair of Research Council

Reported on function of Research Council which is a Standing Committee of the College. RC functions to encourage and promote research, scholarly activities, and procurement of external funding. RC Chair Pacheco emphasized the broad representation of the campus community includes 12-20 teaching faculty, no more than one per department.  Information about the RC may be found: https://www.geneseo.edu/sponsored_research/research-council

           

Senate Reports

President’s Report – Christopher Dahl

  • Reported state budget process continues
  • Rationale tuition promise to prevent further deep cuts

Provost’s Report – Carol Long

        No report (Provost Long was away on business)

Chair’s Report – Dennis Showers

  • Circulated with agenda

Vice Chair’s Report – Jim Williams

  • Nominees for Chancellor Award Nominations are being screened

Past Chair – David Granger

  • No report

Secretary Report – Cheryl Kreutter

  • No report

Treasurer Report – Aaron Steinhauer

  • No report

University Faculty Senate Report – Gregg Hartvigsen

·         Report is available in College Senate bulletin. Noted campus concerns about shared services

·         President Dahl noted interlibrary load is a good example of importance of shared services

 

Student Association Report – Tyler Ocon

  • No report 

Undergraduate Curricula Committee Report – Ren Vasiliev

Motion proposal pre-requisite change

  • CSCI 216

Motion carried.

Motion second reading of new courses

  • FREN 374
  • GEOG 355
  • PISC 390
  • PSYC 331

Motion carried.

Motion second reading of Programs

  • BA Chemistry
  • BS Chemistry

Motion carried.

Undergraduate Academic Policies, Core and Review – Jeff Over

  • No report

Graduate Academic Affairs – Susan Salmon

  • No report

Student Affairs – Dan Repinski

  • SAC is discussing Good Samaritan Policy and issues of sexual assault on campus

Faculty Affairs – James McLean

  • FAC is discussing new procedures for SOFI administration

Old Business

Discussion concerning restructuring the Senate and faculty governance continued from October 18, 2011, meeting.  Chair Showers

  • Noted the if there is no immediate Past Chair, the Chairperson can appoint someone to fill this position.
  • D. Granger stated that reason for his remaining as Past Chair is to help with transition to new Senate format

Debate regarding Senate restructuring:

·       Why does Senate need to be smaller?

·       What influence does College Senate have?  Is it a function of size?

·       Chair Showers pointed to HERI Survey results to refocus on restructuring; for example,

o   College Senate has positive effect on college (response:  47.1% Strongly Agree or Agree)

o   College Senate is worthwhile use of time (response: 32.1 % Strongly Agree or Agree)

  • Chair Showers noted that Education Law/SUNY policies will determine President’s final decisions

Questions about other task forces such as Campus Safety Committee

  • Chair Showers noted that he set letter to faculty, asking for volunteers for these committees: received very few responses
  • President Dahl reported some of the committees are formed in response to edicts from outside SUNY Geneseo

General Meeting of Faculty

  • November 9 at 2:30 pm (All College Hour)

New Business

  • Savi Iyer, Dean of the College, stated that General Education has not changed.

Adjournment

Chair Showers adjourned the meeting at 5: 16 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl A. Kreutter, College Senate Secretary

 

Minutes of the Faculty Affairs Committee

November 15, 2011

Present:  J. McLean (Chair), J. Aimers, J. Allen, B. Evans, V. Farmer, L. O’Brien (arrived 4:55 pm), D. McPherson, E. Savellos, A. Sheldon, H. Waddy, R. Kahrs (student), Tabitha Buggie-Hunt (guest, Dean’s Office).

Excused: A. Eisenberg

Call to Order

McLean called the meeting to order at 4:05 PM.

 

1.     Chair’s Report: 

A) Teagle Grant: Chair J. McLean had forwarded FAC’s feedback to the Provost and also e-mailed the information to FAC.  Discussion ensued.  Concerns about how this possible arrangement might function were again expressed. The issue of possible “negative reciprocity” was raised. The chair will send the Provost another message to reiterate the committee’s concerns.

B) If a committee member is unable to attend a meeting for a valid reason and wishes to be listed in the minutes as “excused,” please notify the chair.

 

2.     Old Business:

Ongoing issues pertaining to Form H were discussed. Although a new Form H was approved by Senate in spring 2009, there is still the possibility for adjustment in what the Provost will decide to implement. Discussion revolved around whether or not an essentially dichotomous determination should be based on 3 or more performance categories, in lieu of the currently proposed “does not meet” and “meets.” There was also discussion of what “meets expectations” connotes. It was decided to reserve further discussion for another meeting.

 

3.     New Business

The online “public” display of SOFI results was discussed. One potential problem, among others that were mentioned, with making the results too easily accessible was that they could be used to support possibly injurious claims about faculty.  It was reported that, from the students’ perspective, it is helpful to know how many respondents the data for a given course represent.  It was decided to reserve further lively discussion for another meeting.

Adjournment

James McLean adjourned the meeting at 5:12 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Beverly J. Evans

 

College Senate Meeting Minutes

December 6, 2011

 

Present

B. Ahmed, J. Aimers, J. Allen, K. Becker, R. Coloccia, C. Dahl, K. Davies-Hoffman, L. Dougherty, A. Eisenberg, B. Evans, D. Farthing, V. Farmer, K. Felter, K. Fletcher, L. Gao, J. Giorgione, A.Ghuman, D. Granger, C. Haddad, K. Hannam, B. Harrison, G. Hartvigsen, A. Heap, A. Hernandez, S. Iyer, H. Jeong, R. Kahrs, J. Katz, M. Klotz, C. Kreutter, C. Leary, M. Lima, C. Long, J. Lovett, D. Mackenzie, T. Macula, V. Markowski, M. McCormick, J. McGarrah, P. McLaughlin, J. McLean, D. McPherson, J. Meagher, J. Miller, M. Mitschow, M. Mooney, L. O’Brien, T. Ocon, J. Over, P. Pacheco, E. Pogolelski, D. Repinski, D. Rescott, M. Rogachefsky, S. Russell, S. Salmon, E. Savellos, D. Showers (Chair), D. Simmons, M. Stolee, S. Stubblefield, A. Tajima, D. Tamarin, R. Vasiliev, H. Waddy, B. Weigman, J. Williams, A. Yauney

 

Guests

Jennifer Katz, Advisory Committee on Campus Security

James Milroy, Vice President for Administration & Finance

 

Call to order

D. Showers (Chair) called the meeting to order at 4:03 PM.     

 

Adoption of Agenda

Motion to adopt December 6, 2011 agenda.  Seconded

 

Guest Jennifer Katz, Advisory Committee on Campus Security

Committee meets bimonthly.  Separate from college government, its purpose is to improve code of conduct and how sexual assault is addressed.  For example, education materials are prepared and distributed such as the postcard re: sexual assault distributed to freshmen.    Work is ongoing.

President’s Report – Christopher Dahl

            No report (President Dahl is away on business)

 

Provost’s Report – Carol Long

·          Strategic Planning Group (SPG)

o   Purpose - shepherd strategic planning of college.

o   Action items include planning for budget and preparing list of key performance indicators (see website).

o   Last 18 months’ initiative - develop key performance indicators to measure progress on goals 

o   Works as receiver of info from other group; seeks input from variety of campus groups; feeds into SUNY Geneseo network; will receive reports re: college advisory council on assessment; college needs to close loop of planning --- instructing, assessment, planning, financial progress;

o   SPG welcomes ideas/comments.

·        Thanked faculty that responded to COACH survey

o   until mid-Jan to respond

o   49% response rate

·       AACSB upcoming to Business School

·       Middle States visit in Spring

·       NCATE (Education) visit in Fall

·       Enrollment Management

 

James Milroy, Vice President for Administration & Finance

·       Budget Request Summary

For first time in two years, there is a budget request.  Legislation must ask for requests before November 30.  At this point, simply a request but is not clear how money will be allocated to the campuses

 

Senate Reports

Chair’s Report – Dennis Showers

  • Currently two members to be replaced on Strategic Planning Group.  Chair Showers will submit names to President Dahl who will make final decision.

Vice Chair’s Report – Jim Williams

·       Finalizing Campus Excellence Committee recommendations

Past Chair – David Granger

  • RE: Budget Priorities Committee – discussing & word smithing descriptions of different functions of committee

Secretary Report – Cheryl Kreutter

  • No report

Treasurer Report – Aaron Steinhauer

  • Current amount in treasury: $509.34
  • Funds used for gifts for retirees/condolence
·  Source of funds is contributions by faculty.  
Checks should be made out to the Geneseo Foundation, with "College Senate Fund" in the memo line.  Please send them to Shiellee Adams in College Advancement, Erwin 11

University Faculty Senate Report – Gregg Hartvigsen

  • No report

Student Association Report – Tyler Ocon

  • No report

Undergraduate Curricula Committee Report – Ren Vasiliev

  • Next meeting February 7, 2012
  • Requested any information for new courses/programs be sent to committee prior to February 15 deadline

Undergraduate Academic Policies, Core and Review – Jeff Over

  • No report

Graduate Academic Affairs – Susan Salmon

  • No report

Student Affairs – Dan Repinski

  • Next meeting January 17, 2012

Faculty Affairs – James McLean

  • FAC requests comments and concerns regarding SOFI’s be forwarded to their FAC

Old Business

  • No discussion

New Business

  • Proposed amendment to add a fixed number of positions in each Senate Committee for non-Senators (See Article IX: STANDING COMMITTEES OF THE SENATE

Each Section describes one committee with a subsection delineating membership.

Proposed: to add, where appropriate in each section: “Up to four members of the committee may be teaching faculty who are not Senators. Members will be chosen by the Executive Committee from volunteers.”

  •  
    • Non-senators will be additional members of the committees
    • Volunteers could request particular committees they wish to
    • Concern about having XC choosing members 
    • Non-Senators will be voting members.
    • Question: How will committee work be effective if committees are larger (currently 15 people per committee--- adding four more would be cumbersome)?  Concerned that inflated committee size may dilute democratic function of Senate. 
    • R. Vasiliev suggested that those four extra will be teaching faculty.

 

Adjournment

Chair Showers adjourned the meeting at 5: 05 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl A. Kreutter, College Senate Secretary

 

Minutes of the Faculty Affairs Committee

December 13, 2011

 

Present:  J. McLean (Chair), J. Aimers, J. Allen, B. Evans, V. Farmer, D. McPherson, A. Sheldon, H. Waddy, R. Kahrs (student), Tabitha Buggie-Hunt (guest, Dean’s Office)

Call to Order

McLean called the meeting to order at 4:05 PM.

 

McLean noted that the meeting was called to discuss the Provost’s request for a way to get faculty advice on allocating new hires.  Approximately 17 new faculty are likely to be hired in the next two years, and searches will likely begin in the fall of 2012. 

 

Farmer noted that a single shared position between two departments was not successful from the perspective of her department.  Evans agreed.  Several members of the committee wondered if these sorts of positions were part of the Provost’s plans.

 

Questions raised in the discussion included: How would the advice process work?  Is there an overall master plan or sense of direction (e.g., from the Strategic Planning Committee or the Cabinet) that will influence hiring?

 

Allen suggested that student-faculty ratios might be something to consider.  Generally the committee wanted more information on the criteria that are being used to determine who to hire, and if there are none, some people suggested the committee could help develop them.  Changing student interests in majors and a vision for the college as a liberal arts institution were noted as two driving forces for these decisions that might be in conflict..

 

Since this would be a multi-year process, the turnover on the Faculty Affairs Committee was raised as an issue.  There was agreement that any committee involved should report to Senate.  All present felt that the Faculty Affairs Committee was itself the best option for providing the advice, even considering turnover.  If more rapid action was needed, then FAC could meet more often.

 

Chair McLean offered to draft a response to the Provost summarizing the discussion, which will be distributed by email.  It is hoped that revision of the response, and adoption by the committee, can take place rapidly by electronic means.  If that fails, the response will be finalized at the next FAC meeting, Jan 17, 2012.

 

Adjournment

James McLean adjourned the meeting at 5:10 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jim Aimers