College Senate Bulletin

State University of New York at Geneseo

College of Arts and Sciences

 

Correspondence to Dennis Showers, School of Education, South 222C, showers@geneseo.edu, 245-5264

Note: Page numbers indicate pages as per the paper copy of the Bulletins.

 

Bulletin No.2

Bulletin No. 2

Pages 9-19

October 14, 2009


Contents

Page Topic

10 All College Meeting Agenda, 10/20/09

10 College Senate Meeting Agenda, 10/20/09

10 Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Proposals for Senate Approval 10/20/09

11 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes, 9/1/09

14 Research Council Meeting Minutes, 9/3/09

15 Faculty Affairs Committee Meeting Minutes, 9/29/09

16 Student Affairs Committee Meeting Minutes, 9/29/09

18 Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Meeting Minutes, 9/29/09

 

 

 

 

Agenda for the All College Meeting on October 20, 2009

Call to Order

Adoption of the Agenda

Nomination Committee Report: Jan Lovett

Presentation of Nominees for Faculty Personnel Committee

Presentation of Nominees for Committee on Nominations

Adjournment


Agenda for Senate Meeting on October 20, 2009

Call to Order

Adoption of the Agenda

Adoption of the Minutes


Senate Reports

President Christopher Dahl

Provost Carol Long

Chair Dennis Showers

Vice Chair Chris Leary

Past-Chair David Granger

Treasurer Gregg Hartvigsen

University Faculty Senator Maria Lima

Vice President, Student Assoc. Nicholas Kaasik


Reports of the Standing Committees of the Senate

Undergraduate Curricula Robert Owens

First Reading

Course Revision (Found on CSB…, page…)

PHIL 209, Phenomenology and Existentialism

PHIL 397 Seminar: Major Problems

PHIL 398 Seminar: Major Philosophers

Program Revision (Found on CSB…, page…)

Minor in Biology

Undergraduate Policies Leigh O’Brien

Graduate Academic Affairs Susan Salmon

Student Affairs Justin Behrend

Faculty Affairs James Bearden


Old Business

New Business

Adjournment


Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Proposals for Senate Approval

October 20, 2009


(Go to “Meeting1 Sept 29” folder at http://boxes.geneseo.edu/outboxes/DeanOfCollege/doc/UCC_pending/ to view the department proposal)


Course Revisions


PHIL 209, Phenomenology and Existentialism

Proposed description change:

An examination of some of the leading motifs of phenomenology and Existentialism. Thinkers and topics to include: Kierkegaard: Impossibility of an existential system; Faith and subjective truth; Teleological suspension of the ethical. Nietzsche: Death of God; Master morality, slave morality, and traditional morality; Will to power and the superman; Overcoming nihilism. Husserl: Critique of psychologism and historicism; Consciousness as intentionality; Grounding of knowledge and action on transcendental subjectivity; Life-world and the sciences. Heidegger: Meaning of Being and human existence; Authentic and inauthentic being-towards-death; Human existence, temporality, and history. Sartre: Being, consciousness, and nothingness; Existence precedes essence; Freedom, bad faith, and authenticity; Possibility of an ethics. Credits: 3(3-0) Offered every other year. 3(3-0)


Changed course number from 360 to 209 and removed existing prerequisite.


PHIL 397 Seminar: Major Problems

Proposed description change:

For advanced students. Focuses on a single philosophical problem, or a pair of problems (e.g., infinity, freedom and determinism, analyticity, induction). Topic varies from term to term, and student presentations comprise a significant portion of the course. Students can take it multiple times. Prerequisites: Permission of instructor. Credits: 3(3-0) Offered alternately with PHIL 398; one seminar will be offered each semester


The change is in the ability of students to take the proposed slot course multiple times.


PHIL 398 Seminar: Major Philosophers

Proposed description change:

For advanced students. Focuses on a single philosopher, or a pair of philosophers (e.g., Plato, Aristotle, Spinoza, Locke and Leibniz, Hume, Wittgenstein). Philosopher studied varies from term to term, and student presentations comprise a significant part of the course. Students can take it multiple times. Prerequisites: Permission of instructor. Credits: 3(3-0) Offered alternately with PHIL 397; one seminar will be offered each semester


The change is in the ability of students to take the proposed slot course multiple times.


Program Revision


Minor in Biology

Proposed description change:

20 semester hours in Biology which must include (1) BIOL 116, 117, 119; (2) BIOL 203 (Ecology); (3) BIOL 271 (Heredity) or BIOL 222 (Genetics); and (4) 2 three-hour Biology Electives (above the 100-level which are available for major credit). Biochemistry courses (with an approved waiver) or BIOL 210 (Nutrition) may be included for credit toward this minor.


Change requires approval for Biochemistry courses and the adds BIOL 210 as an accepted course.



Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

1 September 2009


Present: President Dahl, G. Hartvigsen, N. Kaasik, C. Leary, M. Lima, C. Long, L. O'Brien, D. Showers (Chair), B. Morgan.


Call to Order


Chair Showers called the meeting to order at 4:03 pm.


Adoption of the Agenda


The September 1, 2009 meeting agenda was unanimously adopted.


Reports


President – Christopher Dahl


President Dahl reported that this is going to be a very difficult year for the college due to budget shortfalls of $2.3 to $3.0 million. The college will be looking at ways to trim, make efficiencies, and increase resources to address the shortfall. College Administration will attempt to keep the college community abreast of budget news as much as is possible. He noted that the Six Big Ideas Committees will provide venues for the discussion of issues related to the budget and provide ideas for actual planning. He expects that the roles of the College Senate and Six Big Ideas committees will vary according what the situation warrants. For example, the College Senate will have a role where curriculum is affected and a different role in other areas. President Dahl proposed calling a special All College Meeting (as has been done occasionally in the past) to present the current SUNY Geneseo budget situation.


President Dahl reported that he will be responding to the August interim reports of the Six Big Ideas committees.


Provost – Carol Long


Provost Long reported that she has top agenda that includes the following items: Budget, Utilizing SPAG, Working Closely wit Executive Committee and Senate, and the various accreditation efforts coming up (Middle Sates, ACSB, and NCATE). Her three main areas of interest beside the agenda are Curriculum, International Education, and “the digital landscape” (aka Technology). Also demanding the Provost's immediate attention is the renovation of Bailey Hall. O'Brien asked the Provost to provide more detail regarding curriculum. The Provost believes that The Six Big Ideas will require thinking about curriculum. She is seeking grant money to fund that thinking in a formal way. She will also be looking soon for members of the SUNY Geneseo community to help with that thinking. The primary focus will be to increase academic strength and deal with budget. The budget issues are an opportunity for rethinking and strengthening the curriculum.


Senate Chair – Dennis Showers


Chair Showers reported that the Senate has 89 members. A few more will be added. Senate is down one at-large seat. The quorum for the senate at the time of this meeting is 45. Special meetings can be called by 9 members or senate. The Executive Committee has 14 members with a quorum of 8. Showers appointed David Granger as Past Chair. He asked the Executive Committee to donate to the Senate Fund.

Vice Chair – Christopher Leary

Leary reported that he was currently organizing the excellence awards committees.

Treasurer – Greg Hartvigsen

Hartvigsen described the function of the Senate Fund as supporting recognition of life events, Roark Award, and scholarships and grants. Reiterated Showers' request for donations of Executive Committee. He said that donations should be made to the Geneseo Foundation with Senate Fund in the memo line. Donations are tax-deductible. The current balance is $204.61.

Secretary – Brian Morgan

Morgan reported that SUNY Geneseo is moving to Drupal, an open source content management system, to replace the current SUNY Geneseo CMS and that the entire SUNY Geneseo website is being remade. He said that there may be some issues with the Senate website during the transition but that everyone would be happy eventually.

University Faculty Senator – Maria Lima

Lima reported that she will be attending the Plenary Session of the University Senate at SUNY IT (Utica). She will also meet the new Chancellor.

Vice President Student Association – Nicholas Kaasik

Kaasik reported that the process of appointing students to the College Senate is ongoing. Has 10 applications. Needs to fill 15 Undergraduate and 3 Graduate positions. Is confident that that will happen by time of first Senate session. Lima suggested that Kaasik come to classes to promotes Senate participation. Kaasik agreed. Showers reported that 2 of 3 Graduate positions are filled.

Undergraduate Program committee – Bob Owens

No report.

Undergraduate Policy Committee - Leigh O'Brien

No report.

Old Business

None.

New Business

Lima related that the Textbooks on reserve program in the Library is going well. Faculty have donated textbooks and Follett (new proprietor of bookstore) has donated $2000.00. Lima inquired whether Senate, as a body, can pass a resolution ban the selling of desk copies as this hurts both students and authors. Showers said that the College Senate had dine so in 1988. Lima asked what the process was, which committee, one would go to to start resolution. Showers said tat the Faculty Affairs Committee was the appropriate committee to begin the process. President Dahl condemned the selling of desk copies. Dahl suggested that a question before the Senate refreshing that question would be a good idea. Showers said he would search the archive for the original resolution.

Showers discussed the various plans under consideration for reconstituting the Senate. Showers discussed some constitution related issues that are essentially editorial. He stated that the order of the articles of the constitution should be changed. He also stated that there is a conflict between the title of what we call “The Chair of the Senate” and the definition/title in the constitution, and the definition/title in the Board of Trustees Policy. There is also a conflict between the name of the SPAG and SPG and for choosing and the length of the terms of Faculty members of that committee. The name of Student Services should be changed to Student and Camus Life. There is a conflict in the order of articles in the Constitution of the Senate. Finally, there is a question regarding whether Chairs must be teaching Faculty. See the following:

Chair of the Faculty (Article V Section 1)

  • The elected officers of the Faculty shall be the Chair,…

  • BOT Policies Article X, 2: “The chief administrative officer of the college shall be the chair of the faculty of each college. Each college faculty may provide for the selection of its presiding officer, in a manner to be specified in college faculty bylaws.



  1.  
    1.  
      1.  
        1.  
          1.  
            1.  
              1. SPAG, SPG

i Faculty members: Article X, 3, a, 4. “Four teaching Faculty”

ii. Article X, 3, b. 1. sets up processes for selecting and replacing 3

1. (b): Other than the initial one - and two - year terms, faculty terms will be for three years.

O'Brien Asked if this should be brought up piecemeal to the Senate or as a whole. Showers said some things could be brought whole and some in parts. Dahl saw it as being three things: editorial, clarity, and reconstituting the Senate. Showers said that thing on was largely housekeeping by the Executive Committee. Thing two would be brought before the Senate as a set of amendments. Thing three would be discussed by an ad hoc committee of the Senate before being brought before the Senate. Provost Long reiterated her support for shared faculty governance having come from an institution with a long history of such an arrangement.

Showers will send on work he and Assistant Provost David Gordon did on making College Assessment Advisory Council (coordinates assessment) part of the Constitution.

Adjourned: 5:00 pm

Respectfully submitted,

B Morgan

 

Minutes of the Research Council

September 3, 2009


Members Present: Michael Lynch (Chair), Anne Baldwin, Doug Baldwin, Lori Bernard, Emilye Crosby, Dan DeZarn, Savi Iyer, Chris Leary, Jani Lewis, Paul Pacheco, Denise Scott, Kazu Yokoyama


The meeting was convened by Michael Lynch at 4:00 PM.

 

Subcommittees

 

No changes in subcommittee membership were requested, and they will remain the same as last year, with the addition of three new SA student representatives who will serve on the Student Research and Travel Grants subcommittee:


Faculty Research Subcommittee

Chris Leary, Chair

Lori Bernard

Jani Lewis

Michael Lynch


Faculty Travel Subcommittee

Savi Iyer, Chair

Dan DeZarn

Denise Scott

Kazu Yokoyama


Student Research and Travel Grants Subcommittee

Michael Rozalski, Chair

Doug Baldwin

Emilye Crosby

Paul Pacheco


Students

Haleema Murtaza, SA President
Nicholas Kaasik

Mathe Kamsutchom


Election of Vice-Chair

Jani Lewis nominated Michael Rozalski to serve as Vice-Chair. Prior to the meeting, Michael had expressed a willingness to serve in this capacity. There were no other nominations. A motion to elect Michael Rozalski Vice-Chair was moved, seconded, and unanimously approved.


  • Review of Budget for the Year

Programs that had previously received reduced funding are now restored. Total funds available for the Undergraduate Research and Travel Grants has been increased to $60,000 for the year, with an increase in the maximum award per student per semester to $650 and an increase in the maximum hotel cost per night to $70. The Fall Student Proposal Workshop will be held on Tuesday, September 8th at 7:00 PM in Newton 201.


  • New Undergraduate Student Research Funding

Mark Scott, Executive Director of Campus Auxiliary Services, has informed Anne that $5,000 per year for five years will be provided by CAS in the name of Follett Higher Education Group to support undergraduate student research. After review of the various types of funding currently offered, Mr. Scott has suggested that two additional fellowships might be the best use of the funds. The only restrictions on the use of the funds are that they be used to support undergraduate research with faculty members, that they bear the name “Follett Higher Education Group,” that the funds be transferred to the Geneseo Foundation and administered by Sue Crilly in Accounting, if possible (which Sue has agreed to do), and that the funds would need to be transferred to the Geneseo Foundation by May 31st each year. Anne noted that Mr. Scott would like to make the first announcement to the college community regarding the Follett Higher Education Group funding and other initiatives that Follett has established. {Note: An additional stipulation not mentioned during the meeting is that if textbooks are to be purchased for a student project supported by the Follett funds, they be purchased through the campus bookstore.}


The Follett funds will be used to support two additional undergraduate summer fellowships each year and a draft revision to the undergraduate fellowships application will be sent to the Council members and to Mr. Scott for approval.


  • Revision to Summer Faculty Fellowship Forms

Revised instructions for recommendation letters were approved by the Council. The instructions will now request, “Letters of recommendation from two individuals who are familiar with your scholarly work. At least one letter must be from a reference outside the College. Letters must address the significance of the proposed work to the field and the ability of the applicant to successfully complete the project.” A revision will be sent to the Council members by email for final approval.


  • Possible Revisions to the Guidelines for the Research Development Awards

The Council began discussion of possible revision to the instructions for applications for course release Research Development Awards. The Council will return to this issue at its next meeting.


  • Collaborative Research Center Task Force Update

Michael provided the Council members with an update on the Collaborative Research Task Force and noted that the Task Force has discussed ways in which the Research Council may be able to facilitate initiatives aimed at increasing sponsored research on campus – e.g., perhaps in reviewing applications for seed money and/or in mentoring roles.


  • Possible Expansion of the Research Council Membership

A suggestion has been made that the Research Council be expanded to include representation by more, or all, departments. Pros and cons were discussed and the suggestion was tabled until the next full Council meeting.


The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 PM.


Respectfully submitted,

Michael Lynch, Chair, Research Council


Minutes of the Faculty Affairs Committee

 

 

September 29, 2009


Present: J. Allen, J. Bearden, S. Derné, D. DeZarn, A. Foley, J. Lewis, M. Liwanag, Y. Massen, D. McPherson, A. Sheldon, A. Steinhauer, B. Swoger

Excused: C. Adams, B. Colòn, F. Sheikh


Call to order:

J. Bearden called the meeting to order at 4:05 PM


Old Business


We reviewed the Final Report of the FAC 2008-2009 Academic Year and planned our agenda for Academic Year 2009-2010


  1. We decided to put the Faculty Mentoring Program on the back burner until we hear from Davit Parfitt at the Teaching Learning Center.

  2. H-Form Revision is waiting for President’s approval.

  3. Departmental Guidelines for Promotion – J. Bearden agreed to inquire about progress on this and report back to FAC.

  4. Block Schedule – This issue was put at the top of FAC agenda for the year. We discussed and number of issues and general unhappiness about the frequent changes in scheduling with no real faculty input.

  5. Student Opinion Forms – We placed this issue as the second item on the FAC agenda for the year. Several members reported dissatisfaction with the online student opinion forms and submission. We agreed to review the performance of this student opinion survey. Views were expressed about the low response rate and a proposal was made to encourage a return to a paper form administered in class.

  6. Task Force on Advising – We discussed the joint meeting FAC had with SAC last spring and the inconclusive nature of that discussion. We went on to talk about the long delay since the Task Force on Advisement reported and the lack of action since. It seems to be a general phenomenon that task force reports take years to implement, if at all. So, the third item on our agenda is a discussion of these issues related to task forces and to proceed on implementing some of the proposals of the Task Force on Advisement.


The meeting was adjourned about 5:00 PM


Respectfully submitted by J. Bearden



Minutes of the Student Affairs Committee Meeting

September 29, 2009

Present: Justin Behrend, Chi-Ming Tang, Victoria Famer, Susie Stuppert, Patrick Rault, Marilyn Klotz, Chip Matthews, Cheryl Kreutter, Amanda Barbarello, Derek Weng, Tyler Ocon, Jeffery Nathanson, Dayshawn Simmons, Kara Johnson, Andrew Herman, Atsushi Tajima

Justin Behrend opened the meeting at 4:00 p.m.

  • Administration

    1. Opening introductions from members

    2. Two more meetings scheduled for semester: October 27, December 1

  • Purpose SAC – overview by Justin

    1. Focus on student concerns – reason for large number of student reps

    2. Address issues and if necessary, bring to Senate

  • Issues addressed last year

    1. CAS on prices, profits, and food quality

    2. Celia Easton regarding new residence halls

    3. Graduation issues

      • Not the purview of this committee

      • Is an executive committee issue

    4. Advising issues

    5. Joint meeting with faculty affairs regarding scheduling

      • Potential to continue discussion this year

      • May be more adjustments from Dean’s office

  • Brainstorm of issues

    1. Minimal competency issues

      • Disparity between College policy and individual departmental requirements (e.g., C- in college policy versus other grades in departments)

      • The discrepancy is creating registration problems

      • Would like to have uniform policy

      • Consider inviting Del Brown to discuss complete registration process and address other questions

      • Another related issue regarding transfer credits from other schools (that might not be meeting our requirements)

    2. Foreign languages

      • Difficult to take 101 in a foreign language if you have past experience in that language

      • Need to clarify reason why a student can’t take 101 – is it an “easy A” issue or a decision from foreign languages

      • Availability of some of the courses can also be problematic – some of the classes (e.g., 201 and 202) not being available after the lower level classes have been started (e.g., 101 and 102)

      • This can have a negative impact on some majors that have a requirement through the 202 level (e.g., IR majors)

    3. Registration process

      • Class availability during summer orientation was limited to just 4

      • Need to discuss reasons and develop a fair policy

      • Need to think about how the new (possible) 4 class schedule would have an impact on this

        1. There is a lot of confusion about what a 4 class schedule even entails and how it would work

        2. Some would prefer a more focused class experience

    4. Students with physical disabilities or injured students

      • Very limited services for these students – especially regarding transportation

      • What role could county bus play in this?

      • What about the GEMs?

      • Celia Easton is looking into some possibilities with a pedal-powered vehicle

      • Student organization on ableism (Students Educating About Ableism) is also working on this

    5. CAS and Red Jacket

      • No eating facilities available in Southside Residences

      • Other facilities are far away and overly full

      • Red Jacket needed to be closed for renovations

      • There is a little shop available on Southside but has limited options

      • Pizza delivery option between 4-7 is not working well

      • The dorm facilities available for cooking are not working well

      • Any other food options would be nice to consider (e.g., hotdog truck)

      • Some options were discussed last year (like a direct shuttle bus) but were dismissed over the summer (not certain why)

      • CAS has said that Red Jacket should be opening in spring semester

      • CAS doesn’t seem to be open about their decision making and what is going on with RJ – some sort of communication

    6. Campus Bookstore

      • New store with Follett

      • How is it serving the students – pricing, facilities

      • Some of the book editions were incorrect, more expensive

      • Some good things – can look at books on the shelf, longer return policy

      • Sundance seemed to do the job better – books cheaper and correct

      • Need to recognize that it is Follett’s first time – need some time to adjust

      • Aside – Sundance did not participate in bidding option for renewing contract

    7. Flu issues

      • Campus response and concerns?

      • Like the availability of hand sanitizers, paper towels back in bathroom

      • Wondering about recent flu shots – are people confused about which vaccination is being administered?

    8. Policing and security

      • Are there concerns or issues to be raised while in process of hiring new chief

    9. Opinion poll from students

      • Available from Julie Rao

    10. Social issues

      • Fun day for whole campus

      • Moving homecoming to hockey schedule

  • Prioritizing of issues – to be taken to the Executive Committee

    1. Accessibility and transportation issues

    2. Registration and course availability issues

    3. Presentation by Julie Rao to explore issues raised in student survey


Minutes of UCC Meeting

Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Members Present: B. Owens (chair), G. Park, J. Yee, B. Harrison, M. Jensen, A. Kurtz, W. Gohlman, R. Coloccia, M. Stolee, A. Gu, J. Elmore, J. Lovett, G. Marcus


Guests: D. Brown, S. Iyer, C. Filice, K. Hannam


Chair B. Owens called the meeting to order at 4:02.


1. Adoption of the agenda. Owens explained the changes in the agenda over the past few days and asked committee to approve the recent inclusions. Agenda approved.


2. New Business

New Course:

-GSCI-288: Experimental: The Geology of Energy and Climate Change

The committee had some questions, e.g., do we need to approve an experimental course? This course is substituting for GCSI 200 in the spring semester. Is this a permanent change? Is this really a new course or a one-time experimiental? Since no one from GSCI was at the meeting to address these questions, the committee moved to defer consideration until the next meeting. S. Iyer will contact GSCI.


Course Revisions:

-PHIL 209, Phenomenology and Existentialism

Change number from PHIL 360 to PHIL 209 and remove prerequisites; also changes in course description. Rotation remains the same. Carlo Filice from PHIL was at the meeting to answer questions. The course is now an elective within the major, instead of a requirement. Program has already been changed to show this. Some members wondered about the number change from 300 to 200-level course; Filice explained this would mainly impact the amount and level of work expected from the students. Revisions approved.


-PHIL 397 Seminar: Major Problems:

-PHIL 398 Seminar: Major Philosophers

Discussion and voting on these revisions took place as a package. The main change is allowing the students to take either of these courses more than once. There is also a minimum competency requirement of C- or better. There was extensive discussion about how to take slot courses more than once and the college D repeat policy. Those questions did clarify discussion. Another issue was the PHIL department’s desire that a “D” grade would stand despite the college’s policy on D repeats. As a result of this discussion, the PHIL department withdrew its plans to have a grade of “D” stand. Both course revisions approved.


Program Revision:

-Minor in Biology

The change is adding Biol 210 and a BioChem course (with an approved registration waiver) to the minor. Approved.


3. New Business:

1. J. Lovett raised the question of current registration practices – that students who enter the college with no prior credits are consistently at a disadvantage. Is this something UCC can look into? D. Brown reported that the Records Office is looking into this and has some ideas, but no resources currently. Brown agreed to continue looking into this question. The Committee moved to ask the Senate Executive Committee to refer this question to an appropriate committee.


2. S. Iyer asked all to remember to send curriculum proposals to her as new

Associate Dean instead of former Dean Terry Bazzett.


4. Old Business:

Directed studies: There are several different ways students take directed study courses (reading, research, service to department, etc) plus tremendous variations in the numbers used. Should there be separate numbers for each type of activity? Should these numbers be consistent across departments? S. Iyer was asked to look into this to follow up T. Bazzett’s concerns from last year? Iyer agreed.


Motion to Adjourn: meeting adjourned at 4:52



Respectfully submitted, Meg Stolee