College Senate Bulletin

Bulletin 20  
2 March 2001
 

  Upcoming Meetings



 

Date   Room Time
13 March College Senate/All College Meeting Newton 204 4:00 p.m.
27 March SAC South 110 4:00 p.m.

 

__________________________________________________________________

Correspondence: Christopher C. Leary, Department of Mathematics, South 324D
E-mail: leary@geneseo.edu Phone: 245-5383
__________________________________________________________________

Contents

Comments from the Chair
Call for Nominations
2000–2001 Richard Roark Award
Minutes 
Executive Committee--27 February 2001
Student Affairs Committee--27 February 2001
Proposed Amendments to the Constitution 


Comments from the Chair

Call for Nominations

2000–2001 Richard Roark Award


Shortly after Richard Roark's untimely death in 1970, a group of his friends established an award to honor his memory. Richard's friends described him this way: "Richard was a special kind of human being who valued the humane and ethical above all else. He was a scholar and intellectual who treasured learning and especially books with which, he thought, every person could access the accumulated knowledge of all previous civilizations."
 

The Richard Roark Award is given to a graduating senior whose scholarship and community service exemplify the qualities that were so important to Richard. The recipient is given a stipend to purchase books, and the recipient's name will be inscribed on a plaque displayed in the MacVittie College Union. Please submit nominations by April 13 to Chris Leary, Department of Mathematics, South 324D.


 



 

 

Minutes

Executive Committee--27 February 2001

Attendance: C. Leary, C. Dahl, B. Dixon, E. Wallace, J.L.Liu, M. Lima, J. Bushnell, T. Bazzett, J. Lovett, A-M. Reynolds

I. Call to Order. C. Leary called the meeting to order at 12:45 p.m.

II. Approval of the Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting on February 13, 2001 were accepted.

III. Reports

Chair’s Report. no report.

President’s Report. President Dahl reported that the Memorandum of Understanding between the College at Geneseo and the State University of New York generated by the mission review process has been signed by the Chancellor and returned to us. The dates set for the campus visit of the Middle States Accreditation team are October 21 — 24, 2001. The President indicated the legislative ‘season’ is upon us — on February 16th he met with legislators and on March 6th a group of delegates from SUNY Geneseo will be in Albany for SUNY Day. The president states he would like to see more extensive and frequent visits from legislators to SUNY Geneseo. His office also plans to create an advocacy sheet, of specific points detailing what the College is asking for in the current legislative session. Dr. Dahl has been meeting with several state legislators in the Rochester area to make our voices heard. He thanked the people who were willing to meet Trustee Lou Howard - the president felt it was a very positive visit and would like to have more trustees on campus this spring. After some negotiation, the integrated sciences building project is moving forward. Final plans are being drawn up, and by fall we should be sending them out for bid.

Provost’s Report. No report.

Central Council. The Referendum on Mandatory student Fees was held on Monday, March 19th. The referendum passed along with the $7.00 added service increase. So the Student Association will be funded for 4 more years.

Treasurer's Report. Anne-Marie Reynolds reported that there have been a few responses to her email request for contributions to the College Senate Fund. She was encouraged to send out another email reminder before sending out a traditional mail request.

  1. Committee Reports

Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. T. Bazzett noted that the School of Education proposals will be considered at the UCC meeting this afternoon.

Student Affairs Committee. No report.

Graduate Affairs Committee. No report.

Faculty Affairs Committee. M. Lima presented a draft of a resolution (below) that FAC will bring to Senate on 13 March. The resolution asks that the President create a task force to review current methods of faculty evaluation and development. After a brief discussion, the President commended FAC for a job well done.

Amendments to the Constitution:

C. Leary thanked the members of the Executive Committee for their comments on draft amendments that he had circulated. General discussion included the question of the dates that terms end for current members of the General Education Committee and the Strategic Planning Group. If the appointment letters state dates that terms expire, the Constitution should reflect that fact. The President will look into this.

The Provost asked if we should set a maximum number of terms for those on the GenEd committee. The President asked if there are term limits on any senate committee. Although one or two committees have term limits, it is not the general practice. Dr. Dahl opined that we don't need to set term limits for GenEd, as we don’t for anything else. Becky Glass asked if there had been problems and the Provost said that general questions have been brought up.

Another issue raised was whether or not to demand that minutes be published for selected Committees of the Faculty and Committees of the College.

C. Leary said that he would incorporate the suggestions of the meeting into the draft amendments and circulate the revised amendments to the Executive Committee for further comment before publishing the proposals in the Bulletin.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:47

Respectfully submitted,

Chris Leary (Secretary pro tem)

[Editorial note: Many thanks to Casey Bickel for taking the minutes at the meeting.]


COLLEGE SENATE RESOLUTION FROM FACULTY AFFAIRS
 
 

Whereas, SUNY Geneseo’s Planning Goal #2 is to "recruit, support, and foster the development of a diverse community of outstanding students, faculty, and staff"; and

Whereas, the development and retention of outstanding faculty are among the chief means by which the College can realize its stated values of academic excellence, innovation, diversity, and tradition; and

Whereas, the College can best develop and retain outstanding faculty when the processes of evaluation and development form an organized, integrated, and comprehensive system;

Resolved, That the College Senate ask the President to appoint a task force (1) to study the existing processes of faculty review evaluation and development process and (2) to develop design an more systematic organized, integrated, and comprehensive faculty system of faculty evaluation systemand development.

Resolved, That the Senate ask the President to compose the task force in a way that insures adequate representation of the relevant constituencies of the College involved in faculty evaluation, including faculty of various departments, programs, and ranks, and the student body.

Resolved, That to assist the task force in its work, the Senate recommend the hiring of a professional consultant who will be remunerated by the College.

Resolved, That the Senate ask the President to incorporate, in his charge to the task force, an obligation to report to the Faculty Affairs Committee of the College Senate both annually and at the expiration of its appointment.


Student Affairs Committee--27 February 2001

Present: JeeLoo Liu (Chair), Hisham Almubaid, Ming-Mei Chang, Kim Davies, Gregg Hartvigsen, Tamara Hurlburt, Denise Sullivan, Chris Wixson, Amy Happ, Michele Brummel, Laura Taczak

Excused: Tom Feeley, Johnnie Ferrell, Berkeley Briggs, Rebecca LaFountain

Absent: Jennifer Guyer, Michael Oberg, Laura Stellrecht

Guest: Tabitha Buggiehunt

The Chair JeeLoo Liu called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM.

The SAC continued with the business left from last semester. During our last meeting (dated 11/28/00), we resolved to write a letter of support for the renovation of the College Union. Former student senator Steven Brown composed the first draft of the letter, and Committee members Chris Wixson, Gregg Hartvigsen and Kim Davies made several revisions. For the first fifty minutes, the Committee went through the drafted letter line by line to improve on the wording. JeeLoo Liu promised to produce a final draft to be approved at our next meeting.

The second issue on the agenda was the invitation from the Commission on Diversity for volunteers to collaborate with them on interviews with faculty/staff members. Kim Davies, Gregg Hartvigsen, Tamara Hurlburt and Denise Sullivan all volunteered.

The next issue on the agenda was to decide whether there was any new business for the SAC to take up this semester. Former student senator Jen Garvey made the following suggestions before she resigned from the position:

1). There have been many complaints that there are not enough sessions of each course scheduled, so students are getting closed out of classes in their majors. This seems to be a problem most prominent in science and communication, but pertains to all majors.

2). It was suggested that the library should have extended hours, particularly around finals. It would also be a great help if the building opened at 7:30 AM because many students need to print papers and projects before classes, which often start at 8 AM.

3). It was recommended that there be more information given by teachers about the course load for each of their classes before registration. For example, a BIO 100 class requires far more work than a 300 level class of a different discipline. This would allow students to be more prepared for the expectations of the classes, and help them manage their schedules more easily.

4). Students would also like to see more information posted on the Internet. Perhaps teachers should have a continually updated page for each of their classes.

5). A general advisor could be hired to make sure students are working towards the requirements they need to graduate. Many times assigned advisors give misinformation, or pressure students into taking classes they recommend or teach. One visit per year to this person could be mandatory for unbiased help and proper knowledge of the different obstacles which often prevent students from graduating on time.

6). Finally, there are still complaints about office hours. Some students claim that some professors' office hours are far too awkward (i.e. 8-10 AM). Maybe there could be mandatory afternoon hours at least once or twice a week when students have more time.

The brief discussion on each of the issues is as follows:The meeting adjourned at 5:10 PM.

1). Insufficient sessions would not be a problem that the SAC could solve. More faculty lines are needed, and the College is already working on reducing the ratio between faculty and students.

2). Kim Davies, a reference/instruction librarian, promised to bring up the suggestion of extended early morning hour at the librarians' meeting.

3). Professors often change their course syllabi from one semester to the next and thus cannot post a definite syllabus for the semester to come. Students are advised to speak with individual professors prior to registration to find out more about the course load, if that is their concern.

4). All professors do not equally possess Internet skills.

5). Ming-Mei Chang remarked that the Dean's Office was already doing the job of the suggested "general advisor." If students have any problem with their assigned advisor, they could be reassigned. Michele Brummel asked why advisors were not all well trained. Denise Sullivan reassured her that some changes are in the process.

6). Amy Happ did not think that it would be reasonable to have mandatory afternoon office hours. The Committee decided that the best way for students to meet with their professors outside the designated office hours would be to set up individual appointments.

The next meeting will be held on March 27th, at 4 PM, South 110.

Respectfully submitted,

JeeLoo Liu

Chair, SAC