College Senate Bulletin

Pages 61-116
2 Nov. 2001
Contents

Page Topic
61 Contents
Announcements:
62 Fall 2001 College Senate and Senate Committee MeetingSchedule
62 Senate Bulletin Mailing List
62 Fall Elections
Minutes:
62 Executive Committee Meeting, Oct. 23, 2001
67 Undergraduate Academic Curriculum Committee, Oct.23, 2001
81 Undergraduate Academic Policies, Core, and ReviewCommittee, Oct 30, 2001
83 Undergraduate Academic Curriculum Committee, Oct.30, 2001
98 Graduate Academic Curriculum Proposals
114 Agenda: College Senate Meeting, 6 Nov, 2001




Correspondence: Janice A. Lovett, Departmentof Biology,
Bailey 210; e-mail: lovett@geneseo.edu; phone: 245-5413
Announcements:


Fall 2001 College Senate and Senate Committee Meeting Schedule
November 6 College Senate Meeting
November 20 Executive Committee Meeting
November 27 Faculty Affairs Committee at 4:00 PM inWelles 111
Stydent Affairs Committee at 4:00 PM in Bailey 211
December 4 College Senate Meeting

Senate Bulletin Mailing List
Any member of the College Community may receive an individual copy of the College Senate Bulletin. If you would like to receivea copy please send your name as you would like it to appear onthe mailing label and your campus address to the Senate Chair,Janice Lovett, lovett@geneseo.edu or 210 Bailey.


Fall Elections

Corrected ballots with new UserID and Voting Keynumbers for the fall elections were mailed to all of the TeachingFaculty on November 1. The new ballots show the corrected spellingof Dvid Robertson’s name. Electronic votes will be tallieduntil 5 PM on November 16, 2001.
Minutes:

College Senate Executive Committee

October 23, 2001
12:45 p.m.
Wadsworth 204

Present: T. Bazzett, J. Bushnell, C. Dahl, B. Dixon, G.Drake, C. Filice, B. Gohlman, C. Leary, J. Lovett (Chair), J.Mclean, D. McPherson.
REPORTS

Chair's Report

Chair Lovett reported on three items of interest:

1. On Friday, 26 October,Geneseo representatives will attend the University Faculty SenateMeeting at the Fredonia campus.

2. Geneseo’s representatives to the AAC&U (AmericanAssociation of Colleges and Universities) conference in Virginialast summer met again here after having sent a report to the President.Some material from that report will go to Faculty Affairs Committeeand Student Affairs Committee soon.

3. By Friday of this week or Monday of next, Lovett willsend out numerical codes for those voting in the upcoming electionsfor Faculty Personnel and Nominations Committee, and then ballotingwill continue for approximately two weeks. Eligible part-timeteaching faculty (which includes part of the adjunct faculty)will be sent ballots as well, and Lovett will check with Personnelto confirm the list of those eligible.
President's Report

1. C. Dahl noted atthe outset that he had had a productive meeting with the AAC&Uteam. He went on to observe that the College Senate has some veryinteresting work to do in diversity issues and the connectionbetween Student Affairs and academic life that can dovetail withthe Commission on Diversity’s mission. This work can alsomove the College into some new territory by seeing how studentactivities outside the classroom may relate more closely to in-classactivities. The Senate Chair, the Provost, the President and somemembers of the AAC&U team will create several “mini-charges” related to these endeavors.

2. The Administration continues to monitor the budget situationin Albany. The current “Budget Call Letter” is working with last year’s State Operations Budget—which means, in effect, a $1.2 million cut in funds this year.We expect the SUNY system will make the case that SUNY is a keyplayer in reviving the economy and rebuilding the State in everysense.

3. The SEFA campaign is in full swing, chaired by DebbieHill. Charitable organizations definitely need the College Community’s help after 11 September’s events.

4. A SUNY system meeting in Albany recently looked againat transfer-of-credit issues with some promising research undergirdingthe discussion. Dahl expects some good recommendations soon.

5. Dahl reminded the Committee that this is Cultural HarmonyWeek, with presentations from several different perspectives.He especially commended the presentations on 27 October aboutinternational and political issues related to 11 September.

Former Chair C. Leary askedif the President had a timetable for appointing the Task Forceon Tenure and Promotion. Dahl said this would be done about themiddle of November.

University Senator B. Gohlman had heard from a UUP member at SUNYBuffalo that a member of that campus’s College Councilhad asked SUNY Buffalo’s President to cut the budget by10% and renegotiate wages. Gohlman wondered if President Dahlhad heard anything of the sort. Emphatically no, Dahl said. TheCollege will follow the Governor’s Budget Call Letter.
Provost's Report

1. Last year or earlier,Provost B. Dixon asked departments to change the time when theyreview new faculty in their first two-year contract—inthe fall of the second year rather than spring of first year.This allows for more experience and more SOFI scores, etc. Allinitial reports Dixon has received regard this system as muchbetter. It is completely in keeping with AAUP standards and ourcontracts as well.

2. The Chief Academic Officers of SUNY Campuses are startingtheir meeting later this week and will be discussing transferissues.

3. Dixon said that the Middle States experience has revealedsomething the College left out of its preparations: we did notcollect a completely updated vita on every faculty member.

Vice-Chair Bazzett asked whether all faculty applyfor DSI (Discretionary Salary Increases) every year? Not in thesame way, Dixon replied. Bazzett then inquired whether Dixon’s office could mandate an annual update. Dixon thought that somesort of cycle of updating would be fine, though it need not beannual.

President Dahl speculated that the College could tweak the end-of-yearactivity reports so that information could be automatically addedto faculty CVs. Lovett, meanwhile, thought it might be helpfulto send out a standard format to be used for vita.

D. McPherson wanted to know whether anyone might be offended byhaving a CV on display? It's on public record. C. Leary said heknew of some people at other institutions who might object. CVson file, for instance, can be ordered by anyone through Freedomof Information Act. McPherson replied that CVs contain no personalinformation, only professional. It would be an advantage to theCollege to have such information open and accessible.
Past Chair’s Report

As Co-Chair of Budget Committee,Past Chair C. Leary met with Vice-President for AdministrationKen Levison. Together they plan to write a letter to Dahl suggestingthat the composition of the Budget Committee embrace some additionalmembers: the current Vice-Chair and a staff member, perhaps chosenfrom the elected members of Senate.

Dahl was reminded that he has been discussing with the Provostthe composition of the Strategic Planning Committee. Provost Dixonthought it would be good to have the Vice-Chair on the BudgetCommittee; that puts the Chair, Vice-Chair, and Past Chair ona three-year term.

Bazzett was concerned that, with the small pool of candidateswilling to be considered for Vice-Chair already, additional dutiesmight reduce the job’s desirability even further.
Vice-Chair’s Report

1. Vice-Chair Bazzettreported that the Excellence Committee has met once. The Committeeis completing its visits for excellence awards in teaching. Twonominees declined this year, but there is still a full slate.

2. J. Bushnell and Bazzett have been discussing a UCC issuewith Dean Susan Bailey. UCC presently approves courses for corecredit; prior to this, the same courses have been approved bya Core Committee. In essence, these courses are being reviewedtwice. Bazzett remembers proposals that came from a Core Committeewere basically rubber-stamped, assuming that the Core Committeehad already examined the proposed courses at length. The problemwas that this created extra paperwork for UCC plus a requirementof sending the course proposals through the Dean’s Officetwice.

Dean Bailey explained that the Core Committee can’t make a motion for change of curriculum in Senate; such motionsmust go through the Chair of UCC. Bazzett was been wonderingif we could streamline the process a bit. Perhaps we could allowthe Core Committee to bring a change to the floor of the Senate.Or we could permit the Chair of UCC to bring such motions beforethe Senate without UCC consideration.

Bazzett also asked Bailey if UCC had a specific function in itsre-reviewing courses. In general, Bailey replied, UCC examineshow a course fits into the curriculum rather than whether it satisfiescore requirements. Yet the Core Committees also do this, anyway.Furthermore, she could not remember a substantial objection byUCC to a Core Committee course.

Lovett voiced the need to check Constitution on this matter. Shewas not certain whether this would require deliberation by thePolicy Committee or an actual amendment to the Senate Constitution.

The only other time that Core Committee recommendations wouldneed to come to Senate is the case in which a course has beenon the books for a while and then gets considered for Core lateron. And, Bazzett added, the course still currently goes throughboth Core Committee and then UCC.
Treasurer’s Report

No report.
University Faculty Senator’s Report

B. Gohlman reported that theupcoming University Senate meeting in Fredonia would look at transferabilityof credit. Also, Geneseo will be asked to set up a website forUniversity Senate. Documents such as the minutes of Board of Trusteesmeetings could then be downloaded and posted onto the website.
Central Council Report

No report.
COMMITTEE REPORTS


Faculty Affairs Committee Report
J. Mclean announced that hisCommittee would meet this afternoon. The Committee has been discussingthe fact that the guidelines for continuing appointment and promotiondoes not conflict with the goals of the Task Force on FacultyEvaluation and Development, so the Committee will go ahead withthat goal.

Dahl has to look again at the charge for the Task Force. If theTask Force is going to be reevaluating roles and rewards completely,perhaps revising the standards at the same time might be confusing.

Provost Dixon wanted some more background on this activity inthe Faculty Affairs Committee. Mclean recalled that two yearsago, one of the Committee’s charges was to look at guidelinesfor promotion to Associate Professor and for continuing appointment.The issue was not one of changing policy but simply to make thewording of the guidelines more clearly express what occurred inpractice. Thus, as Mclean presented the matter at the last ExecutiveCommittee meeting, he was under the impression that the FacultyAffairs Committee would take a look at the guidelines. The TaskForce, meanwhile, would look at how to evaluate faculty, not necessarilyat what they would be evaluating faculty against.

Dixon said that this was not her understanding of the Task Force’s charge. She thought, rather, that the Task Force was actuallygoing to be looking at the whole evaluation, including criteriaand standards.

Dahl thought it would be productive for Faculty Affairs to lookat the recommended charge on the Committee on Evaluation. TheTask Force on Faculty Roles and Rewards deals with defining serviceand teaching, etc. Those are philosophical issues that may affectthe language of the actual standards and guidelines.

Mclean said that he saw the purpose of the guidelines right nowwas to ask whether teaching is an important part of this consideration.

Dixon saw this a bit differently. The paragraphs passed by Senateare criteria. Standards are determined by each department—i.e., how one meets these criteria within the particular discipline.Dixon has been working with departments to define these clearly.

Mclean said that when he was on last year’s Faculty AffairsCommittee, the idea for the Task Force seemed to be to standardizemechanisms—filling out evaluation forms, getting betterSOFI questions, etc.

Dahl noted that one implication of the Task Force’s chargewas that of expanded definitions of faculty roles and how theseare evaluated. Questions about how to evaluate teaching and serviceare inextricably linked with standards, which are in turn basedon a set of definitions. So the definitional questions will beaffected by the way the Task Force looks at the evaluation system.Having said that, Dahl still thinks Faculty Affairs should takea look at this matter to see if any changes are needed. But ifthose changes are made now in a “vacuum” whilethe College is in the midst of a 2-3-year evaluation system, wemay have to rechange things.

Mclean assured the President that the Committee would not takea look at this matter until the Task Force is up and running.

Dahl replied that answering questions about setting specific evaluationstandards may be difficult or impossible to answer when priorquestions are still open in this 2-3-year process.

Graduate Affairs Committee Report
Since the Graduate AffairsCommittee Chair could not attend today’s meeting. J. Lovettasked whether the UCC Chair’s Handbook could be adaptedto the GCC. Vice-Chair Bazzett thought this would be easy to adapt;he will check with the Dean’s Office.

Policy Committee Report
No report.

UCC Report
J. Bushnell reported a fullagenda for the Committee’s meeting today and anticipatesthe same for next week.

Student Affairs Committee
No report.

OLD BUSINESS
FTPDC (Faculty Teachingand Professional Development Committee)
Provost Dixon said the FTPD Committee would come up with a formto add to the Constitution in the spring so that the FTPDC wouldbecome a formal committee in the Constitution

GEAP (General Education Assessment Plan)
D. Gordon has told Lovett that the GEAP will be sent to Senatesoon.

NEW BUSINESS
There was no new business.

ADJOURNMENT
Chair Lovett adjourned themeeting at 1.37PM.

[Faculty from the Executive Committeemet with Dr Elizabeth Larsen from the Middle States Review Team.Larsen is a member of the English Department at West Chester University,West Chester, Pennsylvania.]


Minutes of the Meeting of the Undergraduate CurriculumCommittee
October 23, 2001

The meeting was called to order at 4:00 in Sturges 113.

Members Attending: J. Bushnell (chair), R. Vasiliev, M. Stolee, M. Chang, M. Oberg,G. Towsley, K. O’Gara, C. Wixson, A. Weibel, P. Pacheco,J. Zook, J. Sieffert, H. Howe
Visitors: S. Bailey, P. Murphy, S. Bandoni-Muench,J. Boiani, W. Edgar


The minutes of the meeting of September 25 were unanimously approvedas distributed.

A. ProgramRevisions
The following program revisions were unanimously approved

1. BA inArt Studio
2. Asian Studies Minor
3. BA in Mathematics

There was somediscussion of the overlap of the History courses in the AsianStudies Minor with HIST 327. It was reported that HIST 327 maysoon be removed from the offerings.
In Part A of the Related Area Requirements for the BA inMathematics CSCI 141 should be added. It was inadvertently leftout.

B. New Courses
The two new courses were unanimously approved.

1. HIST230 – Modern Ireland, 1550 to the Present
2. HIST 337 – The British Isles, 1485-1714

It was notedthat HIST 230 needs the course rotation data and credit hour designationadded. HIST 337 should have the phrase “and one ofeither HIST 105 or 106” deleted from the prerequisites.

C. Course Revisions
The course revision to SOCL 211 was tabled .
The following course revisions were unanimously approved:

1. ARTS365
2. BIOL 342
3. CHEM 320
4. CHEM 334
5. MATH 140
6. MATH 237
7. MATH 366
8. PHIL 393
9. SOCL 213
10. SOCL 215
11. SOCL 220
12. SOCL 230
13. SOCL 325
14. SOCL 347

A minor changein the revision of the Philosophy course was accepted. The coursedescription should read “ Students with a serious interestin Philosophy are advised to write a thesis: a lengthy, originalessay on a special philosophical issue.”

D. Other Business
Susan Bailey announced that she would be forwarding to themembers of the committee several course revisions for coursesin Dance. These will be sent in electronic form since they arevery similar changes in a series of courses.
Several other documents for consideration at the next meetingwere passed out to members present.


The meeting was adjourned at 5:00PM.

Respectfully submitted by Gary Towsley