College Senate Bulletin

 Bulletin 3  
17 September 1999
 
 

Contents  
Page  Topic
29 Calls for Nominations
  Excellence Awards and Distinguished Ranks
  Nominations Committee
29  Announcements
  First Fall College Senate Meeting Date
  Upcoming Committee Meetings
30  Messages from the Chair
  Reminder for UCC/GAAC Proposals
  Welcome to Undergraduate Student Senators  
30-31 Agenda -- 21 September College Senate Meeting
  Minutes
32-36 Executive Committee (10 Sept.)
36-58 Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (14 Sept.)
59-61 Alphabetical List of 1999-2000 College Senate Membership

 
 

_______________________________________________________________

Correspondence: Becky L. Glass, Department of Sociology, Sturges 122C
E-mail: senate@geneseo.edu Phone: 245-5336
__________________________________________________________________

CALLS FOR NOMINATIONS

I. Excellence Awards and Distinguished Ranks

Nominations are now being accepted for the following SUNY Ranks
 
 

  Distinguished Teaching Professor
  Distinguished Service Professor
  Distinguished Librarian
  Distinguished Professor

And for the following Chancellor’s Awards:
 
 

  Excellence in Teaching
  Excellence in Librarianship
  Excellence in Professional Service

Nominations for these ranks and awards must be submitted in writing by Monday,
September 20, 1999 to Chris Leary, College Senate Vice Chair, Mathematics Dept.,
South 324D. Confidential nominations should consist of a 1-2 page nomination letter
describing the nominee’s qualifications for the award or rank.

Please see pp. 14-17 of Senate 99-00 Bulletin for a description of the criteria and eligibility for these awards and ranks.

II. Committee on Nominations

Nominations are now being accepted for three positions that will become available on the Committee on Nominations December 1, replacing Ellen Kintz, Dan Repinski, and Patrice Case. Please give your nominations to one of the members of the committee: Kintz, Repinski, Case, Randy Bailey, Wendy Pogozelski, or Anne-Marie Reynolds by September 20, 1999.

An All-College Meeting will be held October 19 to receive the committee’s report and accept nominations from the floor.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

First Fall 1999 College Senate Meeting Date

September 21

The meeting will be held in Newton 204 and begins at 4:00 pm

Upcoming Committee Meetings

Faculty Affairs Committee will meet Tues, Sept. 28, at 4:00 pm in South 209.

Student Affairs Committee will meet Tues, Sept. 28, at 4:00 pm. Check with Chair Emilye Crosby for location. Dr. Bonfiglio and Rich Farquharson will speak to the committee about Community and Diversity.

Undergraduate Curriculum Committee will meet Tues, Sept. 28, at 4:00 pm in Sturges 112.
 

MESSAGES FROM THE CHAIR

UCC/GAAC Proposals

I'd like to remind all Departments that before they submit undergraduate or graduate curriculum proposals to either UCC or GAAC, one printed copy and one electronic copy of the proposal must be submitted to the Office of the Dean for administrative review. The Dean's Office will respond within seven working days, after which Departments are asked to submit 15 copies of the proposal to Terry Bazzett, UCC Chair, or Judy Bushnell, GAAC Chair.
 

Welcome Undergraduate Student Senators

The Undergraduate Senators for 1999-2000 are:
 
 

Keith Barnes (Policy) Alexis Henshaw (UCC)
Jeszadiah Eisenberg (SAC) April Kupper (SAC)
Sara Emhoff (SAC) Jacalyn Lee (SAC)
Brian Falk (FAC) Wendy Sander (SAC)
Kevin Hahn (UCC) Veronica Sapio (SAC)
Amy Happ (UCC) Jamie Seymour (Policy)
Bethany Haskins (FAC) Emily Spillman (Policy)

 
 

College Senate Meeting

21 September 1999

4:00 pm, Newton 204

Agenda


Adoption of Agenda

Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meetings
(4 May 1999 College Senate, 98-99 Bulletin, pp. 400-402
4 May 1999, 1999-2000 College Senate, 98-99 Bulletin, pp. 403-404)

Senate Reports
 
 

President's Report C. Dahl
Provost's Report B. Dixon
Chair's Report B. Glass
Treasurer's Report M. Mohan
University Faculty Senator's Report J. Bulsys (for E. Wallace on sabbatical)
Central Council Report A. Gridley

Reports of the Standing Committees
 
 

Undergraduate Curriculum T. Bazzett

 
First Readings
Biology  
New Course: Biol 334. Biology of Cancer (pp. 38-44 )
Communicative Disorders and Sciences  
New Course: CDSc 320. Manual Language Systems (pp. 45-50 )
Education  
New Course: Educ 365. Cultural Pluralism and Education in the United States (pp. 51-58)
Undergraduate Academic Policies, Core, and Review B. Gohlman
Graduate Academic Affairs Judy Bushnell
Faculty Affairs N. Schiavetti
Student Affairs E. Crosby
Unfinished Business

New Business

Report on
The State Task Force's Recommendations for the Implementation of the Board of Trustees'


 
General Education Requirement B. Dixon

Adjournment

____________________________________________________________

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

--Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977
 
 

Minutes of Senate Executive Committee

September 10, 1999

Present: B. Glass, C. Leary, J. Ballard, M. Mohan, A. Gridley, N. Schiavetti, B. Gohlman, J. Bushnell, T. Bazzett, E. Crosby, J. Bulsys, K. Cylke, C. Dahl. Absent: B. Dixon.
 
 

Call To Order: Chair B. Glass called the meeting to order at 3:50 pm.

Adoption of Agenda: The agenda was moved, seconded, and approved as printed.

Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the Executive Committee Planning Meeting on August 27, 1999, were approved as printed on pp. 24-27 of College Senate Bulletin #2.

President’s Report (C. Dahl): The President reported on three items:

  1. The trustees have not yet approved a financial plan for the State University, and it is unlikely that there will be a final college budget before the end of September. The current spending authority for needed supplies is limited. It appears that the $32,000,000 needed for the 1995-1999 contract will be in hand, but the source of the funds is not clear. It is also unclear how funds will be allocated across SUNY campuses, but Geneseo will probably be okay. The Budget Planning Committee, chaired by Jim Boiani, did a good job last year in prioritizing spending items. It appears that most of the higher priority items will be covered this year. President Dahl will produce a written report to share with the college, detailing the Budget Committee recommendations and the outcomes of those recommendations.
  2. President Dahl will meet on September 23, 1999, with the Commission on Diversity and Community. The commission’s report is on the web. Many recommendations can be met soon. The charge to the commission for the coming year will in part be to track efforts in recruiting faculty, minority students, and international students; but the commission will also be asked to focus on continuing dialogues on determining how we can work toward diversity/community goals at Geneseo, and on identifying goals for which we may need outside help.
  3. In keeping with the emphasis on establishing a Teaching/Learning Center and other efforts in furthering the scholarship of teaching, President Dahl is working to schedule on October 6-7 a keynote speaker — hopefully the head of the Derek Bok Center at Harvard — to address department chairs, FAC members, and others.
Provost’s Report (B. Dixon): No report.

Chair’s Report (B. Glass):

  1. The Intersession/Summer School Committee has been formed and will meet on September 16, 1999. The committee will be chaired by Bob O’Donnell (Biology). Members are B. Evans (Foreign Languages), C. Coate (Business), I. Vasiliev (Geography), G. Drake (English), J. Allen (Psychology), K. Jones (Communicative Disorders & Sciences), C. Haddad (Mathematics), K. Sugarman (Education), K. Broikou (Associate Dean of the College, Office of Grad. Studies/IntEd/SumSes), L. Sancilio (Interim Dean of Students), B. Ristow (Associate Provost). Two students will be appointed to the committee by A. Gridley. One will be a student with Intersession and/or Summer Session experience, and the other will be a student with no such experience.
  2. At-large Senator Jo Stone will be replaced for the 1999-2000 school year by Beth McCoy (English). Maria Lima will be the new representative for the English Department. At-large Senator Stacey Edgar will be replaced by Michael Teres (Art). The Art Department will provide a new department senator.
  3. B. Glass received a communication from University Faculty Senate President Joe Flynn that included a forwarded message from the Chair of the Senate at Old Westbury College. The message included an appeal for support on two issues. The first raised concerns about a recent search for a new President of the College. According to the message, the search was not conducted nationally, was not advertised, was conducted within eight days, and was conducted by the College Council rather than by a properly constituted and representative search committee. The second issue concerned a Land Transfer rider that passed the Assembly as part of the budget bill. The legislation allegedly allows for commercial development of environmentally-sensitive college-owned land, with little connection between the development plan and academic goals of the College. The two issues reportedly are connected because the recommended candidate is allegedly one who will support the land sale. Old Westbury requested that other SUNY Senates pass a resolution in support of their opposition to these two issues. B. Glass provided copies of the message to members of the Executive Committee and requested discussion of the issues and guidance in determining the response of our senate.

  4.  

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

    In discussion of the Old Westbury communication, B. Glass noted that no other information on the issues has been sent to her, but it seems that the absence of an appropriate search committee would be verifiable. A. Gridley asked how helpful it is for our senate simply to support the resolution, and whether there might be more we could do. J. Bulsys noted that the level of support from across the SUNY campuses influences the University Senate response, and from there can influence the actions of the Chancellor. J. Bulsys also asked what precedent we have for supporting resolutions that pertain to one campus. He stated that Joe Flynn (President of University Faculty Senate) has been working on the details of the Old Westbury controversy, but that the topic has not yet come before the University Faculty Senate. B. Gohlman noted that last year’s resolutions regarding the Trustees’ actions originally came from University Faculty Senate, and were then approved by individual campuses. He suggested that time may be important in this case because the Trustees are holding a workshop on September 14. B. Glass noted that she will attend a meeting of Campus Governance Leaders at University Faculty Senate next week, at which the Old Westbury controversy is on the agenda. Other members of the Executive Committee noted that the search for the Old Westbury President apparently violates the Trustees’ own policies for presidential searches, which were written by Trustee DeRussy, Chair of the Trustees’ Academic Standards Committee. In continuing discussion, several members noted that it was unclear why a response from our senate is needed at this time. C. Leary asked whether it was possible for the Trustees to go into "regular session" at their workshop on the 14th, and then to go ahead and approve the candidate. C. Dahl replied that such a course of action might be possible, but was unlikely. J. Bushnell asked that Exec. Comm. members be notified by email if more information comes in. All agreed that we needed to investigate further, but the consensus was that B. Glass (after CGL meeting) or J. Bulsys (as University Senator) should contact the Executive Committee if information they gather at their meetings indicates that our senate should consider a resolution on Sept. 21. B. Glass asked all to watch their emails Sept. 20. She may seek email feedback.

  5. The Provost will be included on the agenda for the Senate Meeting of September 21, 1999. She will report on the recommendations for implementing the Board of Trustees’ General Education Requirement. These recommendations were produced by the SUNY-wide committee on which Provost Dixon served.
C. Dahl noted that our own General Education Committee is working on how we may implement these requirements on our campus. A full report from the SUNY-wide committee is available from the Provost’s office. It is stated in terms of the expected outcomes for a SUNY graduate. C. Dahl noted that several interpretations of the recommendations are possible, but that one possible interpretation suggests that Geneseo may need to develop two new required courses. Vice-Chair’s Report (C. Leary): Nominations are due by September 20, 1999, for the following: Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching

Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service

Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship

Distinguished Teaching Professor

Distinguished Service Professor

Distinguished Professor

Distinguished Librarian

Treasurer’s Report (M. Mohan): Account balances are $4274.43 in the College Senate Fund; $1069.52 in the Roark Award endowment (principal); and $360.13 in the Roark Award income account. Email solicitation notices will be sent in early October to request donations to be designated for the Senate and/or Roark funds. A printed follow-up request will be sent to those not responding to the email. A work order has been submitted for hanging the new Roark Award plaque in the hallway of the upper level of the College Union (next to the old plaque). M. Mohan requested the help of the Exec. Comm. in bringing to her attention any members of the Geneseo community who are ill or bereaved, so that she can send appropriate greetings. Discussion of the Roark award ensued. Exec. Comm. members voiced general support for rolling over the income portion of the Roark award to the endowment, as part of the effort started several years ago to rebuild the principal. M. Mohan will obtain information from S. DioGuardi on the logistics of doing so. University Faculty Senator’s Report (J. Bulsys): The University Faculty Senate will hold its annual planning conference September 16-18. Chancellor Ryan will be at the conference on Saturday, the 18th.

Central Council (A. Gridley):

  1. Student senators will be announced by next week. A. Gridley is completing interviews with potential senators. Kevin Lee will handle committee assignments. Two students will be appointed to the Intersession/Summer Session Committee.
  2. The first Central Council meeting was held last Wednesday. Future meetings will be at 6:00 pm each Wednesday, in the Hunt Room of the College Union. Dr. Bonfiglio will join the next meeting.
  3. The Student Association office is back to full staff. An Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) Chair is still needed. The election for this position will be held in conjunction with the first-year students’ elections (in mid-October).
  4. Student planners will be mailed to all on-campus students. Off-campus students can pick up a planner at the Student Association office (while supplies last).
  5. A student senator retreat will be held on Saturday, September 25, 1999, at the Campus House.
Faculty Affairs Committee (N. Schiavetti):
  1. FAC will meet Tuesday, Sept. 28, 1999. Two items are on the agenda: the SOFI discussions and the discussion of the relation between tenure and promotion guidelines. M. Stolee will meet with the committee to discuss contract-related issues and provide relevant documents to help the committee stay within its purview. FAC will soon form focus groups to discuss each of the two issues (SOFIs and tenure/promotion guidelines). B. Glass noted that she has asked a Work/Study student to examine the 1988-1990 Senate Bulletins to seek the origin of the printed statements on "College Guidelines for Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure."
  2. N. Schiavetti reported that a faculty member recently phoned him about an issue, and he would like input from the Exec. Comm. about whether or not the issue is appropriate for FAC to take up. The faculty member was concerned about a possible violation of academic freedom when departments set uniform requirements across multi-section classes.
  3.  

     

    Discussion: C. Dahl suggested that the faculty member should begin by seeing the Dean of the College to discuss the issue. Several Exec. Members noted that the specific situation may need more general discussion regarding departments making multi-section courses comparable across sections. B. Gohlman noted that in contract-related disputes, "past practices" are usually enforceable. N. Schiavetti reviewed the definition of "academic freedom," and noted that it was unclear whether this particular instance falls in the realm of a "general issue" for FAC to discuss or an individual concern that should be addressed through administrative channels. K. Cylke suggested that if the faculty member is not being sanctioned by the department, then academic freedom is probably not the issue. If the issue were a more general issue, it might be appropriate for FAC. K. Cylke emphasized that if one faculty member’s academic freedom is violated, the matter is of general interest to all faculty. J. Bulsys agreed, but noted that any grievance should go through administrative channels first. A. Gridley noted that the same advice (to go through appropriate channels) was given to a student who complained last year of suspected retaliation for SOFI remarks. B. Glass summarized the discussion, which points to a recommendation that the faculty member speak to the Dean about the issue.

  4. N. Schiavetti noted that the charge for FAC includes a requirement that at least one administrative senator be on the committee. B. Glass will locate a new member for the committee to meet this requirement. N. Schiavetti also noted that J. Kirkwood was included on the list of FAC members, but that he is actually on UCC.
Graduate Academic Affairs (J. Bushnell): No report.

Policy Committee (B. Gohlman): No report.

Student Affairs (E. Crosby): The committee will meet at 4:00 pm on September 28th (place to be announced). Dr. Bonfiglio and Rich Farquharson will speak to the committee on Community and Diversity issues.

Undergraduate Curriculum (T. Bazzett): The committee will meet next Tuesday (September 14, 1999). Much business is expected this year.

Unfinished Business: B. Glass called for continued discussion of the possible contributions Senate can make to the efforts outlined by the Commission on Diversity and Community.

B. Glass shared some notes from a conversation she had with Bob Owens, who chairs the Commission. He is pleased that Senate will be working to contribute to the efforts. C. Dahl will share with Exec. Comm. his written response to the Commission. President Dahl noted some of the problems involved in addressing the commission’s recommendations. First is the need for better data gathering techniques. Second, it is difficult to tie together the efforts of different departments and units of the college. Dahl will include in his report the assignment of responsibilities to specific individuals/committees for meeting goals, for tracking progress toward goals, and for revising goals as needed. In the next year, the Commission will need to focus on determining "how it feels to be Geneseo students or faculty from diverse backgrounds." It is likely that such persons face different requirements, expectations, and supports. The question for Geneseo is how the community can be more welcoming, and what else we can do. E. Crosby noted that faculty from diverse backgrounds often provide different kinds of service or other contributions. The question of how these special services are valued is important. B. Glass agreed that faculty from ethnic minorities, women, and non-heterosexual orientations often "draw" students from such groups seeking advice. The extra time and energy required for these faculty to meet these demands may not be taken into account when questions of retention or continuing appointment arise. B. Gohlman suggested that discussion of these issues continue through future meetings of the Executive Committee. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 4:01 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Joan C. Ballard

Secretary of the College Senate

Minutes of Undergraduate Curriculum Committee

Sept 14th, 1999

Members Present: S. Bailey, K. Hahn, A. Happ, A. Henshaw, H. Howe, K. Jones, J. Kirkwood, B. Mason, J. Morse, O. Nicodemi, M. Stolee, R. Vasiliev, S. West

Excused: R. Goeckel

Guests: J. Lovett, N. Schiavetti, D. Showers

Chair Terry Bazzett called the meeting to order at 4:08 p.m. Agenda was approved, and next meeting date of 9/28/99 was announced. No previous minutes were available for approval.

I. Course and Program Change Proposals.

A. New Course Proposal, BIOL334 Biology of Cancer - (J. Lovett -representing). S. West questioned a prerequisite of 300 level (BIOL300). Lovett explained BIOL300 acts to "track" a sequence of courses, all of which offer the prerequisite basis for BIOL334. Question was raised as to whether prerequisites for BIOL300 should then also be included in description of BIOL334. Lovett assured the Committee that biology students were aware of all prerequisites for BIOL300 and addition of extra description was not needed. J. Morse suggested that purpose and objectives for the course should be made clearer, perhaps omitting references to student attendance in previous offerings. R. Vasiliev felt for purposes of our Committee this section was adequately written. Committee consensus was reached that no revisions were necessary. Proposal approved unanimously.

As a point of clarity, Morse asked what happens when a single department member is responsible for teaching a course and that department member leaves. S. Bailey noted that in this case the course was dropped from the bulletin.

B. Revision of a Major Program, allow Computer Science requirement to include selection of CSCI 114, 121, 131, 141 in addition to CSCI 104 as currently listed.- (H. Howe -representing). K. Jones noted a lack of justification for proposal. H. Howe offered to speak to this issue; Incoming students often have enough computer science background that CSCI 104 is redundant or too remedial. This proposal offers more flexibility for higher level programming courses. T. Bazzett asked if C- or higher is still required for these proposed courses. S. Bailey noted that the C- is implied in that this is a general requirement in the School of Business major as noted in the Bulletin. O. Nicodemi questioned the selection of CSCI courses noting that CSCI 121 (Fortran) may be considered "outdated" while CSCI 219, which intuitively appeared to be a more applicable course, was not listed. H. Howe noted that courses listed were selected in part based on requirements for CSCI minor often chosen by School of Business majors. S. Bailey also noted that courses proposed all satisfied core requirements, and that this was also part of the selection process. However, revision to CSCI major will exclude CSCI 104 as fulfilling a requirement. In light of these issues it was suggested by M. Stolee that the proposal be tabled until the next meeting, at which time it could be reconsidered with justification of course selection from the School of Business. T. Bazzett and H. Howe offered to forward the concerns of the Committee to the School of Business. Proposal tabled unanimously.

C. New Course Proposal, EDUC 365 - (D. Showers -representing). O. Nicodemi asked for clarification on when the course would be initially offered, noting that the proposal listed Fall 2000 offering as "experimental". D. Showers noted that "experimental" should be deleted from proposal, and that first "real" offering would be Fall 2000. O. Nicodemi then asked if it was the purview of the Committee to address staffing concerns. S. Bailey said "yes" noting that the Committee works in checks and balances with the Dean's office. O. Nicodemi then raised concerns regarding proposal for a new course considering the large number of adjuncts currently used by the School of Education. She also noted that currently offered courses (i.e. INTD 203 & EDUC 203) appear to overlap content with the proposed course. D. Showers noted that currently all courses being offered by EDUC are adequately staffed and that the proposed course represents an upper level elective course that will be offered on a regular basis. He also explained that future program changes (to be dictated by new State regulations) will likely significantly change staffing responsibilities within 3 years. The present proposal is a course that can be staffed currently. State changes will drive future staffing changes. J. Morse also noted that INTD 203 lacks focus on urban diversity that EDUC feels is important. Students have also requested more urban education courses. M. Stolee added that the proposed course will likely satisfy a future requirement for more pluralistic courses. Proposal approved unanimously.

D. New Course Proposal, CDSC 320 - (N. Schiavetti -representing). M. Stolee asked if EDUC students will be taking the course, and if it will be redundant with content of ASL. N. Schiavetti noted that ASL taken by some EDUC students to fulfill language requirement is only used for communication with deaf students. CDSC 320 is designed to introduce students to ALL manual language systems and is structured quite differently from introductory ASL courses. M. Stolee noted that proposal included an "absence policy" and asked if that was acceptable under our guidelines. N. Schiavetti offered to change the requirement to more accurately state that students would not be penalized for missed "days" but rather for missed "quizzes". J. Morse asked if CDSC 320 would be required. N. Schiavetti said "no" but student interest was very high, and previous offerings of this content area had filled sections. S. Bailey pointed out that as proposed, syllabus contained grades of D+, D-, and F, which are not recognized in the Geneseo grading system. N. Schiavetti acknowledged the error and offered a change making grade ranges for D+, D and D- inclusive in a single range for a grade of D. The grade range listed for an F grade will represent the range for an E grade. Proposal approved unanimously.

Meeting was adjourned at 4:54 P.M.

Ren Vasiliev

Terry Bazzett