- Meet with tutor(s) prior to first tutoring session to develop a “semester-plan”*
- Set up a regular meeting schedule to discuss feedback and suggestions (meeting may be substituted with an alternate form of correspondence if necessary, i.e. email, telephone, paperwork)
- Introduce tutor to student if meeting location and time permits
- Offer suggestions for student-specific lesson planning, materials, behavior management, etc.
- Outline short and long-term goals for the semester
- Answer tutor questions
- Provide or suggest appropriate and safe work environment for tutoring sessions (tutoring setting must be supervised by school personnel).
- Utilize tutors in ways that promote the goals of the America Reads or America Counts program
For America Reads, please refrain from utilizing tutors to help with lessons associated with subjects other than reading or writing (such as math, science, social studies, etc.) Remember that America Reads tutors are only trained to tutor literacy skills, and therefore should not assist with other subjects or serve as teacher aides.
For America Counts, please refrain from utilizing tutors to help with lessons associated with subjects other than math (such as reading, social studies, science, etc.) Remember that America Counts tutors are only trained to tutor math, and therefore should not assist with other subjects or serve as teacher aides.
- Meet or correspond with tutor at regularly scheduled time
- Exchange feedback on student improvement
- Provide additional suggestions on lesson planning, materials, and behavior management as needed
- Provide feedback on tutor strengths and offer suggestions for improvement
- Complete end-of-semester tutor and program evaluations
- Share any problems, concerns, or comments with America Reads program coordinators
***For liability reasons***:
Discipline problems are not the responsibility of the tutor, although tutors should be taught how to handle any problems that may occurAmerica Reads and Counts tutors are not to be left in charge of or alone with the children at any time
America Reads tutors should not assist children to or in the bathroom