The Integrated Science and Policy Internship Program will be composed of the following elements: the internship (4 - 4.5 days/week), academic course (3 hours/week), and Leadership Forum. Students will also participate via the internet in lectures, discussions, and research projects through Geneseo's Integrated Science Center as well as in other science and research-based activities. This program offers 12 hours of academic credit (9 hours in internship and 3 hours of academic coursework at The Washington Center). Three additional hours of credit can be arranged individually with Geneseo faculty if student and faculty agree upon additional requirements. Academic and residential staff offer support throughout the program, and an academic advisory board from Geneseo and other SUNY campuses provide oversight for the academic program.
Internship placements will prepare students for professional positions in government, industry and nonprofits, as well as for graduate education. This program will benefit students from any SUNY university majoring in physical and biological sciences, or other science, social science or policy majors. Internships are 32 to 36 work hours each week with at least 80% of a student's time spent on substantive, non-clerical work, such as:
- Researching legislative and policy issues on scientific matters
- Researching survey data and analyzing reports
- Synthesizing research, translating information, and creating educational materials and concept papers
Internship placements can be in government agencies, corporations, or non-profit organizations, such as the Environmental Protection Agency, the Federation of American Scientists, Department of the Interior, Environmental and Energy Study Institute, National AIDS Network, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, World Health Organization Regional Office, and many more.
Scholarships are available to qualified applicants in the following amounts:
- $3000 awarded to up to three(3) SUNY Geneseo students per semester or summer. The $3000 scholarships are sponsored by the Office of the Provost at SUNY Geneseo. Preference will be given to Geneseo students in STEM fields.
- $2000 awarded to up to three(3) students in STEM internships per semester or summer. The $2000 scholarships are sponsored by TWC, and are for STEM students only.
In both cases, the scholarship amounts will be deducted from the student's Program Fee (SUNY Geneseo) or Housing Fee (TWC). Please see Program Cost pages for details.