Thea 290 London Theatre Seminar: Meeting at JFK:
Be there 2 hours before w/ passport and 2 bags.
My cell phone is 585-727-1630. Get me your cell phone # in case we have trouble meeting up. My number will be active in London.
2. Student ID card or ISIC card
3. Health Insurance card
4. Check your ATM card for fees and availability abroad; there is no fee on the UK side
5. Check your cell phone for plan in Europe. Most likely it WILL NOT function at all without adding an international plan, and itŐs cheaper to buy a phone and pay as you go in England.
6. If your phone doesnŐt work, youŐll need an alarm clock.
7. I highly recommend you ask Santa for a pocket map of central London.
8. It is generally warmer than Geneseo, but still winter. Pack accordingly. High will be 40Ős, maybe some days in 50Ős, low will be 30Ős. It is unlikely to freeze.
9. You have free laundry in the building. DonŐt overpack.
10. You can dress casually at the theatre. DonŐt overpack.
11. Bring walking shoes or boots; we will walk A LOT.
12. Adapter for electronic devices: you won't be able to plug in any American electronic device w/o an adapter -- think computers, phones, razors, etc. Some devices also need a converter because the current in the UK is 220, not 110. There is one adapter you'll need for England and another one for France-- generally they come in a bundle. Any travel store or a travel section of a dept store (even Target) will have these.
13. 2 bags: Plan to have a smaller bag you can pack to go to Paris -- it's just 2 nights. Think of a big one and a more portable one for the overall trip, and the more portable one (only) coming along to Paris.
Some of these appear on our syllabus when we are visiting something nearby. I am not mentioning the things we are all doing together as part of the course.
1. Westminster Abbey
2. Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
3. Camden Town markets
4. The Eye of London
5. St PaulŐs Cathedral
6. Cabinet War Rooms
7. Namco Station
8. Madam TussaudŐs
9. Thames River Tour
10. Tate and Tate Modern Galleries
11. National Gallery
12. Burrough Market (FOOD)
13. Harry Potter , Jack the Ripper, etc. walking tours
14. 221B Baker St – Sherlock Holmes Museum
15. Charles DickensŐ home/museum
16. Harrods Food Halls