SUNY Geneseo

Spill Response and Reporting Procedures

This document is designed to provide general Spill Response and Reporting Procedures. Individual departments using or maintaining hazardous chemical or substances are required to develop specific response procedures and maintain spill response kits or equipment for spills or releases of these chemicals.

Petroleum Products

According to Article 12 of the New York State Navigation Law - any spill of a petroleum product must be reported. There is no such thing as a spill of a petroleum product that is too small to report.

Other than Petroleum Products

Other chemicals or compounds do have di minimis exceptions for very small spills. NYSDEC Bulk Storage Regulations require a spill of ethylene glycol or PCBs be over one pound to require reporting. Even leaks of refrigerant gases have specific reporting requirements.

A "spill" is a release to the soil (including the sidewalks and the driveways) or water (including groundwater). Emptying product into a bucket or drum is not a spill. Spilling product on the floor in a building is also NOT a spill.

Spills from Campus Equipment and Activities

Spill Response Procedures:

The best way to respond to a spill is to prevent it before it happens. Immediately stop any equipment that develops a leak. Do not operate equipment with obvious leaks or worn hoses.

Spills cannot be washed to the sewer! Action must be taken to prevent spills from reaching a sewer!

Vehicle Fluids: Equipment should have "spill kits" (absorbent material and buckets) on board.

Turn off engine. Do not drive the equipment back to the garage.

Place absorbent material or buckets under leak immediately to collect leak.

Radio or phone for assistance.

Heating Plant: Block floor drains to prevent leak entering storm sewer.

Contain with "pigs". Clean up with absorbent material.

Soil spills: Must be "dug up" and disposed of. May require DEC approval of procedure.

Contact EHS for specific procedures.

Elevator Vaults: Drum liquid. Absorb petroleum product on "pigs" or absorbent material.

Water without petroleum product may be released to the sanitary sewer.

If petroleum product cannot be separated, entire drum must be disposed of.

Laboratory and Art Academic department procedures for spill response are to be followed. EHS

Studio Chemicals is to be contacted (during business hours) to ensure proper disposal.

In situations involving very large quantities of chemicals or chemicals of unknown or high toxicity, evacuate building and call UP immediately. Report chemical identities, if known, and approximate quantities. UP will contact Livingston County Emergency Response (911).

Spill Reporting:

During Office Hours (8 AM - 4 PM)

Complete form and bring to EHS

EHS will make DEC "spill call" (226-2466 or 1-800-457-7362), if required.

Off hours: (4 PM - 8 AM)

Small leaks of petroleum (less than 5 gallons)

Complete form and send to EHS next working day

EHS will make DEC "spill call" (226-2466 or 1-800-457-7362), if required.

Off hours: (4 PM - 8 AM)

Large leaks (auto accidents involving campus vehicles, tank ruptures, heating plant fuel tank or system leaks, etc.)

Report situation to University Police, they will contact EHS.

Spills from non-campus equipment

Leaks from Vendor trucks, Route 63 accidents, and/or contractor equipment are the responsibility of the operator or owner of the equipment. Leaking

The spill should be reported to the DEC by the vehicle operator.

Report situation to University Police, they will contact EHS. If vehicle operator does not report spill to DEC, EHS will call DEC.

Spill must be cleaned up by vehicle operator or owner. DEC must be contacted to ensure that occurs - otherwise campus may be held liable for entire cleanup cost.

Disposal of clean-up waste and debris:

Small amounts of petroleum clean-up wastes, that are not dripping, can be double-bagged and disposed of in the Clark dumpster.

Extremely large quantities (soil spills), and any dripping petroleum cleanup materials, clean up materials from ethylene glycol and all chemical spill wastes resulting from campus equipment or activities should be containerized or drummed for disposal. Notification(s) of the need for disposal of these wastes must be made by the generating department to EHS.

All wastes from cleanup of spill resulting from non-campus equipment MUST be taken off site by those responsible for the spill. The campus will not store or dispose of contaminated material for off-site entities.

If it leaked from equipment belonging to another entity - the spill, the clean-up, and any required disposal are the responsibility of that entity.