Student Life Core Purpose and Focus
The Department of Student Life administers the campus living program (formerly Residence Life), the MacVittie College Union, and selected co-curricular educational and assessment initiatives. Opportunities for student engagement and learning within the department include the all-college hour speaker series, Geneseo Late Knight, living learning communities and residential college houses, student organizations, Upstate Escapes, the Victor E. Knight mascot program, and Weeks of Welcome, as well as a number of student leadership and applied learning opportunities. We pursue ways to collaborate with Geneseo students, faculty, and staff to support our students as they pursue their individual educational goals by challenging students to better themselves, demonstrating an ethic of individual care, and building a strong, vibrant campus community.
Student Life Intention, Passion, and Vision
It is the intention of the Department of Student Life to provide and to identify opportunities for students that result in increased learning, greater self-awareness and a clearer sense of purpose.
Our passion is the improvement of the human condition through the expansion of a caring community. (Campus Life: In Search of Community p. 47)
It is the vision of the Department of Student Life to create a systematic and strategic co-curricular core that is nationally recognized by coordinating the annual identification and promulgation of the Student & Campus Life core co-curriculum; programs and activities offered through the co-curriculum.
- To provide opportunities for students to learn, interact, lead, reflect, program, question and have fun. (How College Affects Students p. 647)
- To provide safe and inviting places where the college community can gather to engage, live, and flourish.
- To provide commonly shared experiences that promote belonging and connectedness with a mutual respect for the unique contributions of each individual.
The Department of Student Life develops socially responsible citizens who promote a sense of community as engaged learners.
1. Each student will become a socially responsible citizen. (SCR, LD)
2. Each student will contribute to a sense of community at Geneseo and beyond. (SUPVS, ECSS, AD)
3. Each student will develop a passion for lifelong learning. (CEAA, HL, ID)