Eating Healthy on Campus
Sifting through the many options to eat on campus can be daunting. Below are tips to help guide you towards healthier choices. Happy eating!
- An easy way to incorporate plant-based eating into your diet. Choose from a variety of fresh vegetables, proteins, and a selection of house-made stir-fry sauces, including coconut curry, which is a source of healthy fat. Choose the olive-canola oil blend for a source of healthy fats, which help with the absorption of vitamins found in the vegetables. Ask for brown or jasmine rice for a serving of whole grains.
- Choose black bean hummus to add extra plant-based protein to any sandwich
- Chipotle tempeh is available as a vegan protein options on any Clio's sandwich. This option also contributes good bacteria for a healthy gut environment.
- Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fat, add to any sandwich.
- Asada has several size and style options - including a little burrito and burrito bowl for a lower carb option. Load up your burrito bowl, burrito or tacos with healthy ingredients such as crumbled tofu, pineapple chicken, guacamole, Asada beans, Rajas, black bean and corn salsa and pico de gallo.
- Build a salad, soup or rice bowl with your choice of vegetables, protein and dressing.
- Choose sesame tofu for a plant-based protein option
- Add on kimchi for a dose of probiotics to keep your gut and immune system healthy.
- Our newest gluten-friendly station boasts a rotating daily menu that includes a variety of options. Customize your meal with plant based protein options such as tofu, falafel, and quinoa to boost nutrient quality.
- JEM Smoothies offers customizable fruit and veggie smoothies. You can use soy milk, coconut milk, juice, or tea as a dairy free base. Pick up to three fruits or veggies, including, pineapple, mango, berries, peach, kale and spinach! Try adding some ginger for a kick and anti-inflammatory benefits, or a protein powder to make your smoothie into a meal. Look for the specialty smoothie of the month!
- The black bean burger is a healthy, vegan alternative that packs 9 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber at only 160 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.
- Limiting red meat? Try the turkey burger, with 31 grams of protein, this option saves you on calories and fat, but still packs in the protein.
- Go for the grilled chicken breast and grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion and mustard for a lighter grilled option.
- Choose from a variety of dark, leafy greens such as romaine, spring mix and baby spinach as well as your choice of veggies and lean proteins including hummus, beans, tofu, chicken, and egg.
- Add sunflower seeds, flax seeds, olives or avocado for a source of healthy fat, which helps your body use the vitamins found in vegetables
- Choose olive oil and vinegar as your dressing to get an extra dose of healthy, anti-inflammatory fats
- Goodfellas features made-to-order pasta sautés. Go for veggies, grilled chicken, shrimp, white beans, and whole grain or gluten free pasta. Pick marinara sauce for a dose of the antioxidant lycopene, found in tomatoes.
- Choose black bean soup for a vegan option to warm you up on a cold day
- The HUB's breakfast menu, which is available for both breakfast and lunch, features turkey sausage and omelets and egg white scrambles with your choice of veggies and cheese.
- Prepared daily by our professionally trained sushi chefs, sushi is a fresh way to get a serving of veggies and omega-3 rich fish.
Books & Bytes
- Books & Bytes features local, organic and Fair Trade coffee and an oatmeal bar with fruit and nut toppings.
- Choose 7 bean vegan soup for a protein and fiber packed snack break during your studies.
- For lunch, try a veggie-packed hummus wrap for a delicious and healthy vegetarian lunch. Sandwiches are available in whole or half sizes for portion control.
- Choose 2 eggs or egg whites any way to start your morning off with a healthy dose of protein that will carry you through the day
- Made-to-order salads are available with Gardein Vegan Chick'n as well as wraps and panini style sandwiches.
- Choose grilled vs. crispy chicken for a healthier option, and add avocado or hummus for a more filling and nutrient-dense salad!
- Round out your meal at the Chowhound with water and a piece of fresh fruit!
Letchworth Dining Complex
Max's Market: Maxine's, Smokehouse and Butcher's Block
- Smokehouse's healthy offerings include veggie burgers or a chicken sandwich with healthy toppings such as roasted mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, and egg.
- At Butcher's Block, create your own healthy salad, wraps, or our new Buddha Bowls with a wide array of greens and toppings including grilled chicken, turkey, tofu, and garden nuggets. Add quinoa to get a serving of whole grains, or choose cauliflower rice of a low-carb, paleo base.
- 100% real fruit smoothies are always available, and you can choose to add in a supplement to turn your smoothie into a meal.
- Maxine’s now offers vegan ice-cream on a rotating, seasonal menu.
- Max Market has a wide variety of healthy retail options such as toasted bean blends, mixed nuts, whole grain popcorn, multigrain chips, hummus and pretzels, and Greek yogurt.
Food Studio North
- Food Studio North features many health-conscious cuisine options, including Arugula, the hot spot for vegan entrees. This is not your run of the mill salad bar-try the sweet corn, tomato and avocado salad, roasted sweet potatoes with chimichurri, or Vegan Enchiladas. There are always gluten-friendly options available at all of the stations, including Kasha, our designated Gluten-friendly kitchen.
- Healthy and exciting fare include vegan tofu raviolis in Pomodoro sauce, Vegetable samosa, mini pitas with falafel, tahini sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers and hummus, and many more healthy and delicious recipes in the restaurant’s two-week cycle menu. There is also a vegan vanilla cake with strawberry frosting.
DASH at the Commons
· Fair trade, organic, and freshly brewed coffee is always available
· Find a wide selection of grab & go sandwiches, salads, and wraps, as well as healthy snack options for on-the-go eating
Grab & Go
- Grab & Go items are made fresh daily from our central kitchen and delivered to the restaurants around campus. Not all restaurants carry every item, but you will find many of these wherever you dine.
- Flavored hummus, such as roasted jalapeno and roasted garlic (6oz container, three servings per container), is a healthy snack or topping for sandwiches.
- Grain shakers with or without chicken and vinaigrette-based dressings pack in a lot of plant-based nutrition on the go. Starting in Spring of 18’ will also feature BLT Barley shaker salad, vegan Mexican shaker, and Mediterranean shaker, along with Bento Boxes
- Tomato Cucumber salad, Balela Salad, and Pineapple Salmon Salad feature lean proteins and veggies to fill you up without weighing you down so you can power through your afternoon.