Skip to main content

 Graduation Records

Important Updates:

Graduation Application period for Spring 2021 submission will open January 4, 2020 - March 12, 2021.

Congratulations Graduating Seniors!

On average there are 1200 students applying to graduate each semester. Each one of you have unique individual experiences, backgrounds, and contexts, but there are many similarities, including the graduation process. The information on this page is intended to answer most of your questions about timelines and the graduation process. Don't miss out on any important information, read through each section and contact us if you have specific questions not answered here.

Important Terms to Understand


  • "To walk" during graduation means to participate in the Geneseo Commencement Ceremony. The ceremony is a celebration of your success. It is not to be confused with the term "to graduate".
  • "To graduate" means you will have completed all requirements of your declared curriculum (major(s), minors, etc.) and earned a baccalaureate degree from the College at Geneseo.
  • Conferred means that a final degree audit is conducted and your transcript is finalized.
  •  Diploma- serves as proof of your undergraduate degree (i.e. Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts)
  • Transcript- serves as proof of completing your major requirements. (i.e. Communications, Biology, etc.) (Major(s), Minor(s), Concentration(s) will not appear on your printed diploma)
Apply to Graduate

The Undergraduate Graduation Application is:

  1. Available in the "Student Records" section of your Knightweb account during open application periods. Students will be notified of open application periods, and available terms via campus email.
  2. Available to students who have 90 or more credits on their transcript (not on DegreeWorks). Credits will appear when earned. This means after all final grade submission processes are complete.
  3. Available to students who have NOT submitted an application previously.

Diploma Application for Master's Degree (graduate students)

Questions regarding the application can be directed to the Graduation Office in the Academic Advising office, Erwin 106.

Instructions for Updating Your Home Email Address


1. Begin at, select "Login using G#/PIN"

2. Enter your G# (G00XXXXXX) and six digit PIN, and Login

3. Select "Personal Information"

4. Select "Update E-mail Address(es)"

5. Select "Home E-mail" and Submit

Type of Email



6. Enter you email address and Submit

Home Email

Related Links:


Degree & Diploma Information

Degree Processing

Student degrees are processed at the end of the semester in which the Graduation Application is submitted. For example, if you submitted your Graduation Application in September, your degree is awarded in the Fall. Degree processing occurs after all campus wide end of semester processes have concluded. For example, if the semester ends in December, it will be January before degree conferral begins.

Degree conferral

Degree conferral is a time consuming manual process, meaning each student's degree is hand reviewed. Once the process of awarding each individual degree begins it will take 2-4 weeks to complete. You can check the status of your degree on your Academic Transcript, under Student Records in your KnightWeb account.  Once your degree is conferred, your transcript will clearly state Degree Awarded.

Printed Diplomas

Diplomas are printed by an off-campus vendor and sent to the address on your Graduation Application within 90 days after conferral. Your major will not be printed on the diploma (effective December 2016) because your diploma is proof of your degree. Your degree will appear on your official transcript, which is the most important proof of degree completion.

If you need to make other arrangements to receive your diploma, for an example an address change, you must request it by notifying the Graduation Records Office in writing immediately.

NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be further delays at the printer that SUNY Geneseo does not have control over.



Teacher Certification Candidates (School of Education and Adol. Educ.)

Required Information for Recommendation


Once you have completed your certification application through TEACH, you must print and submit your application information to the Graduation Records Office, along with a $10 processing fee.

The one-time, $10.00, fee covers the processing of Recommendations to the NYSED system and is separate from the $50 fee paid to NYSED to complete each certification. To avoid delaying your recommendation, we request you make payment by contacting Student Accounts (585- 245-5621). You may request that the receipt be emailed to you.

The application information can be found by returning to TEACH Home and selecting Account Information under the Inquiry Links heading. This will bring up a menu box, where you should select Certificates and then Go. Print the screen from your browser (How-to) to be submitted to the Graduation Records Office via email or parcel post. Please include your G# and graduation term (i.e. May 2020).

Your recommendation will not be processed without receipt of the application information and processing fee. 


Required TEACH information #1


Required TEACH information #2


Early Commencement Participation

Students who are in a teacher certification program and wish to participate in May Commencement ceremonies, due to fulling student teaching requirements, are eligible to complete an exception form seeking approval.  The form is not available until after the spring semester begins, and you must first apply to graduate in December (which will also be available by the beginning of the spring semester).

Students graduating in December can participate in May Commencement ceremonies.  Apply to graduate  in December and answer 'Yes' to the question asking if you wish to participate in Commencement Ceremonies.


Recommendation cannot be submitted until after your individual degree is conferred.  We also cannot submit our Recommendation unless we have your TEACH certification application information and processing fee on file.

Your transcript will always be your proof of completing your degree requirements. If you require completion verification, before your degree conferral, your most timely course of action is to request an official degree bearing transcript without delay. You can request an official transcript through the Registrar’s office. It is important to indicate that you want to “hold for degree. Otherwise, your transcript will be missing the essential information you need for verification. For more information about transcripts visit the Registrar’s FAQ webpage. Students with urgent transcript requests are conferred as soon as grading and all end of semester processes are complete.

If NYSED certification completion is necessary before your degree is conferred, you can obtain completed certification evidence on TEACH to provide to your employer.



Who can Walk

All potential graduates from the spring and summer semesters and those who graduated from the previous fall and winter semesters are given the opportunity to attend the commencement ceremony; provided you:

  • You have not previously had your name listed in a Geneseo Commencement Program
  • You have not participated in an earlier Geneseo Commencement ceremony for the degree you are earning


Signing Up


Students must complete the Application for Graduation by April 1 in order to be eligible to receive tickets for their guests at the Commencement ceremony and to have your name included in the Commencement Program. Students must also indicate on their application if they wish to attend (or not attend) the Commencement ceremony so that the College Bookstore and the Scheduling, Events and Conference Services can make the necessary arrangements.


Receiving Honors

Students who have earned the required GPA for Latin Honors and earned at least 45 credits at Geneseo by the start of the spring semester will receive an Honors Tassel at commencement. Please view the Commencement Website for the policy related to graduation honors for undergraduate students.




Have more Questions?

For more specific inquiries please email the Graduation Records Office.


Phone: (585) 245-5541 or (585) 245-5543


Mailing Address

Dean of Academic Planning and Advising
1 College Circle, Erwin Hall 106
Geneseo, NY 14454