Transfer Registration Information -- Frequently Asked Questions

When do I register for classes & how will I know what classes to take?

  • Geneseo reserves seats in courses for incoming transfer students to ensure you have access to the courses required in the necessary timeline for completing your degree. Reserved seats are set aside for new students and not available for current students. For this reason, incoming students are not disadvantaged by registering throughout the spring/summer.
  • In order to register for reserved seats, faculty advisors in the Office of Academic Planning & Advising will work with you (new transfer students) via phone and your Geneseo email account to prepare a draft schedule for your first semester on campus. Upon building your schedule, our advisors will contact you to discuss questions or concerns you may have.  Make sure you are accessing your Geneseo email account regularly.
  • Students will be registered for classes in the order in which they sign up in the registration queue.
  • In future semesters you will have the opportunity to select your courses and register yourself in consultation with your faculty advisor.

What do I do if I want to make changes to my schedule?

  • You will have the opportunity to make changes to your schedule prior to the start of the semester when significant conflicts warrant the need to add/drop classes. Significant conflicts include: change of major, repeat coursework, family/childcare/work obligations, Division III sports, etc.
  • General scheduling changes can be made during the add/drop period in the first week of classes. We strongly advise that new students not make changes to their schedules without consulting an advisor or the Office of Academic Planning & Advising. Your first Geneseo schedule may include prerequisite courses for upper-level study or access to courses offered on a rotating basis.

What do I need to do to prepare for registration? 

  • Please complete the Course Registration Survey (New Student Programs will send you a link). Completion of the survey will place you in a queue to have your schedule prepared by faculty advisors in the Office of Academic Planning & Advising. 
  • Send final copies of your official transcripts, complete with grades, to SUNY Geneseo’s Admissions Office. This includes:
    • Previous college credit.
    • College credit received through high school courses.
    • Your high school transcript and AP test scores. AP scores should be submitted to SUNY Geneseo directly through the College Board. 

Please note: SUNY Geneseo requires an official transcript (complete with final grades) from each college where you've received credit, even if you "attended" the course through your high school.  If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Academic Planning & Advising at (585) 245-5541.

How can I find out how my credits have transferred in?

  • You can view your current transfer credits by logging into your DegreeWorks account. Prior coursework that has been entered into the system will display on your account. Courses that have not been articulated and those we have not received final transcripts for will not be reflected on DegreeWorks.
  • To access your DegreeWorks account, please go to and select “DegreeWorks” (the big green check). Further directions are provided in the communication you received by the Office of New Student Programs.
  • Students who have not yet accepted their offer to attend Geneseo should contact the Office of Admissions at: 585-245-5571 to speak with a transfer admissions counselor.

How can I meet with an academic advisor before classes begin?

  • While we are currently unable to host in-person appointments, our advisors are happy to speak with you by phone during designated hours. While spring classes are in session, incoming transfer students can book phone appointments with staff in the Office of Academic Planning & Advising. 
  • To schedule an appointment, please visit:
  • During the summer, designated faculty advisors will be on hand in the Office of Academic Planning & Advising to consult with students by phone appointment. Further information will be provided when you receive a copy of your preliminary course schedule.
  • Faculty advisors and academic department representatives will also be available during the transfer sessions of New Student Orientation to provide information about degree programs and course sequencing.

When will I meet my academic advisor? 

  • You will be assigned a faculty advisor in your major within the first three weeks of the semester. This information will be posted to your Knightweb ( account when your faculty advisor is assigned.
  • If you have not selected a major, you will be matched with a faculty advisor who specializes in helping students think about choosing an academic direction. Upon choosing a major you will be reassigned to a faculty advisor in your new department.

We are excited that you will be joining us and look forward to supporting you on your academic journey. Please feel free to contact us with questions regarding this process by calling (585) 245-5541.