The Bertha V.B. Lederer Gallery presents exhibitions of contemporary local and national artists, Geneseo art faculty, student work. The Brodie Fine Arts Building opened in 1966 and the Bertha V.B. Lederer Fine Arts Gallery was dedicated to its namesake in 1981. Bertha V.B. Lederer (1912 - 2009 ) began teaching at the college in 1945 and went on to chair both the college Art Department and the Division of Fine Arts. She was deeply dedicated to encouraging an appreciation for the arts. Bertha Lederer founded the Genesee Valley Council on the Arts and supported arts in education through her service as college liaison to the National Arts & Humanities Foundation, the New York State Council on the Arts, the State Education Department in the Arts, and the American Association of University Women. Lederer's philosophy of art in education was one of developing aesthetic awareness: "Art education...should teach them how to see..." Her legacy lives on in the exhibitions and related presentations in Bertha V.B. Lederer Gallery.
Lederer Online Gallery
We pleased to present this recent addition to the colleges exhibition venues born out of necessity due to current circumstances. It was, however, part of our plan to engage in this 21st century opportunity for artists and our community.
The Bridge Gallery provides exhibition space for the museum studies minor and student exhibits.
Gallery B2 is located within the Bertha V.B. Lederer Gallery. Its purpose is to exhibit objects and artifacts held in other collections
on the campus of SUNY Geneseo. Gallery B2 broadens the scope of exhibitions and at the same seeks to encourage faculty and students across disciplines to view and access Gallery B2 as a site of experimentation allowing for the development of interdisciplinarity between art, the humanities, and the sciences.