Earth History: Paleontology, Stratigraphy
Office: ISC 230
Ph.D. Texas Tech University
M.Sc. University of Alberta
B.S. Allegheny College
Post-doctoral, 1990-91, Research Associate, Department of Geology, Texas A&M University , College Station , TX (Advisor – Ethan Grossman)
Ph.D. (Geology), 1990, Texas Tech University , Lubbock , Texas (Advisor – James Barrick)
M.Sc. (Geology), 1985, University of Alberta , Edmonton , Alberta (Advisor – Brian Chatterton)
B.S. (Geology, Biology Minor), 1982, Allegheny College , Meadville , Pennsylvania
2000- Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, SUNY College at Geneseo, Geneseo , NY
1996-2000 Associate Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, SUNY College at Geneseo, Geneseo , NY
1991-1996 Assistant Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, SUNY College at Geneseo, Geneseo , NY
1990-1991 Visiting Assistant Professor/Research Associate, Department of Geology, Texas A&M University , College Station , TX
1989-1990 Instructor, Department of Geosciences, Texas Tech University , Lubbock , TX
Directed Research (Undergraduate)
- Wilcott, M., 2004, Givetian and Frasnian ash beds in western New York .
- Heath, K., 2004, Geology of Mackay Nature Reserve, Caledonia , New York .
- Neal, K., 2004, Conodont-rich horizon in the Windom Shale.
- Julian, M., 2004, Benthic foraminifera from the Georgia Bight.
- Demyanick, B., 2003, Geologic map of Sonyea Quadrangle.
- Norton, A., 2003, Geology Honors Thesis, Magneticsusceptibility of Upper Devonian strata, Alberta , Canada .
- Heath, K., Kartis, V., Lester, M., and Wilcott, M., 2003, “Madjack” – analysis of Quaternary gravel - New Mexico .
- Langerlan, K., 2003, Geochemistry of unionid shells: a record of environmental contamination (w/C. Romanek, Savanah River Ecology Laboratory).
- Nowak, T., 2002, Correlation and Geochemistry of Eocene Ash.
- Rosscoe, S., 2002, Eifelian-Givetian Boundary in western New York .
- Castle, J., 2002, Geology Honors Thesis, Taxonomic diversity of the trilobite Phacops.
- Jones, M., 2001, Geologic map of Mt. Morris Quadrangle.
- Valvo, L., 2001, Graphical Correlation of Chattanooga Shale.
- Fuentes, S., 2001, Geology Honors Thesis, Biostratigraphy of the Olentangy Shale.
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, State University of New York, 10/03.
- Lockhart Professor of Geological Sciences, SUNY-Geneseo, 2000-2003.
- National Science Foundation-Research at Undergraduate Institutions: Upper Devonian black shales, $3,000 supplement to EAR-9614314, 8/99.
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, State University of New York, 8/98.
- National Science Foundation-Research at Undergraduate Institutions: Upper Devonian black shales in eastern North America, conodont biostratigraphy, Frasnian-Famennian mass extinction horizon, and absolute dates from associated ash layers, $75,000, PI, 2/97-12/01.
- Over, D.J., Hopkins , T.L., Brill, A., and Spaziani, A.L., 2003, Age of the Middlesex Shale (Upper Devonian, Frasnian) in New York State : Cour. Forsch.-Inst. Senckenberg, v. 242, p. 217-223.
- Brett, C.E., Turner, A.H., McLaughlin, P.I., Over, D.J., Storrs, G.W., Baird, G.C., 2003, Middle-Upper Devonian (Givetian-Famennian) bone/conodont beds from central Kentucky: reworking and event condensation in the distal Acadian Foreland Basin : Cour. Forsch.-Inst. Senckenberg, v. 242, p. 125-139.
- Over, D.J., and Rotondo, K.A., 2003, Biostratigraphic control on the Belpre Ash, Little War Gap and its bearing on the Devonian time scale of Tucker et al., (1998): IUGS Subcommission on Devonian Stratigraphy, Newsletter No. 18, p. 91-92 [imprint 2001].
- Over, D.J., 2002, The Frasnian-Famennian Boundary in the Appalachian Basin, Michigan Basin, Illinois Basin, and southern continental margin, central and eastern United States: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 181(1-3), p. 153-170.
- Crick, R.E., Ellwood, B.B., Feist, R., El Hassani, A., Schindler, E., Dreesen, R., and Over, D.J., 2002, Magnetostratigraphy susceptability of the Frasnian/Famennian Boundary (Upper Devonian): southern France , Morocco , Belgium , Germany , and Oklahoma (USA): Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 181(1-3), p. 67-90.
- Day, J.E., and Over, D.J., 2002, Early Famennian post-extinction brachiopod and conodont fauna in western New York State : Acta Paleontologica Polinca, v. 47(2), p. 189-202.
- Fuentes, S., Over, D.J., and Brett, C.E., 2001, Conodont biostratigraphy of “Olentangy” Shale in northeastern Kentucky: In Algeo, T.J., and Brett, C.E. (eds.), Sequence, Cycle and Event Stratigraphy of Upper Ordovician and Silurian Strata of the Cincinnati Arch Region: Kentucky Geological Survey, Guidebook 1, Series XII, Lexington, Kentucky, p. 136-143.
- Over D.J., and Rhodes, M.K., 2000, Conodonts from the Upper Olentangy Shale (Upper Devonian, central Ohio ) and stratigraphy across the Frasnian-Famennian boundary: Journal of Paleontology, v. 74, p. 101-112.
(Papers presented at regional/national/international meetings)
- Schieber, J., and Over, D.J., 2004, Age constraints on the formation of the Devonian Flynn Creek structure, Tennessee : Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 36(5), p.
- Over, D.J., Miller, C.G., and Kearsley, A., 2004, Holotype of Palmatolepis punctata (Hinde, 1879) is from the Rhinestreet Shale: Geological Association of Canada – Mineralogical Association of Canada Joint Annual Meeting, Abstracts and Program, v. 29, p. 87.
- Over, D.J., and Schindler, E., 2003, Depositional similarities in selected Late Devonian Kellwasser Horizons, Germany , Morocco , and eastern United States : Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 35(7), p. 384-385.
- Over, D.J., 2002, Conodonts and age of depositional sequences in the Chattanooga Shale, Upper Devonian, southern Appalachian Basin: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 34(7), p. 61-3.
- Lehane, J.R., and Over, D.J., 2002, Canid and rodent scavenging on Pleistocene Cave Bear: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 34(7), p. 66-21.
- Over, D.J., 2002, Upper Devonian conodonts from the Chattanooga Shale, southern Appalachian Basin, eastern United States : Strata (Eighth International Conodont Symposium – ECOS VIII), Serie 1, vol. 12, p. 51.
- Over, D.J., 2001, Kellwasser Bed (high Frasnian, Upper Devonian) equivalents in the Appalachian Basin: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 33(7), p. A37.
- Vacco, D.I., Sheldon, A.L., Over, D.J., and McCarthy, T.M., 2001, Geochemistry of a stratified pool in a flowing stream, Mount Morris , New York : Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 33(7), p. A231.