Student FAQ


Residence Halls 


What are the on-campus accommodations (residence halls) like?


There are over 16 residence halls on campus, three of which are open during all school breaks and vacations (usually the Wyoming, Wayne (for freshmen only), and Stueben Halls are open during the breaks). Every international student at Geneseo is guaranteed housing all four years. There are two types of dorms: corridor and suite style.


How big are the rooms?


Rooms are typically 2.7 meters by 3.6 meters in suite style halls and about 3.6 meters by 4.8 meters in corridor rooms. Typically two people share a room. In a corridor style hall the rooms open into a long hallway. The women living in a particular section of a corridor have a bathroom which they share with one another. The men living in a particular section of a corridor also have a bathroom that they share with one another. In a suite style hall bedrooms open into a common living area that is shared by five to eight other students. Those same students share one bathroom located within the suite. A suite is a self-contained unit with bedrooms, a living area, and a bathroom for the people in that suite.


When can I move into my residence hall?


New international students will be notified about when they can move into their residence hall after they pay their deposit. If you need to move in earlier, please contact us by emailing Staff from the ISS office will be available to pick you up from the airport, train or bus station, and help you move into your room.


What type of furniture and equipment is already in the room?


Every room comes with 2 beds, 2 dressers, 2 desks, 2 nightstands, 2 lamps, 2 mirrors, 2 closets, 2 Internet connections.


Are there laundry and kitchen facilities in the residence halls?


Yes. Some halls have both facilities on each floor; others have them only on the lowest floor. The kitchen facilities (including a stove) are provided in addition to the cafeterias in case you would like to cook a meal for yourself.

Are there computers available in the residence halls?

Yes, every residence hall has a computer lab with 3-5 computers for students to use, but you are also required to bring your own laptop for class use. Each residence hall room is connected to a campus-wide network that is serviced by a T3 connection.


Can I access the Internet from the residence hall?


Yes, Internet access is included in your tuition and fees. It is available both in computer labs and in your own room.


When will I know who my roommate is?


The office of Residence Life will assign roommates in late July. At that time, they will give us your roommate’s name and address. Time permitting, we will send you this information so that you may contact your roommate before arriving in Geneseo.


What support services are available in the residence halls?


Each residence hall has a professional staff that is hired to help students solve problems and enjoy living in the residence hall. The staff includes a “Resident Director”(RD) and “Resident Assistants” (RAs). In addition, residents in the hall form a Residence Council which provides several activities and services throughout the year. There is also a computer technician assigned to each residence hall to help students with technical problems. Each residence hall has a Service Desk which is staffed every night. Students can borrow games, movies, supplies, or ask questions at the service desk.


What about safety in the residence halls?


Each building is secure and locked. Students may only enter their residence halls with a valid student identification card. Each bedroom has its own lock and the doors to suites have combination locks or keypads.



Food Services



What dining facilities are on-campus?


Each group of residence halls has its’ own dining facility (see map). Snacks can also be bought in the library.


In what style are the meals served?


Red Jacket Dining Hall (South Side of Campus, near Wayne Hall) and Letchworth Dining Hall (near Wyoming Hall) serve students in an “all-you-care-to-eat style”. This means that students pay for an entire meal and eat whatever items they want and as much food they want.


What is the food like?


Salads, grilled foods, vegetarian entrees, stir-fry, and American style foods are available at each meal.



Academic Life


What are classes like?


Classes at Geneseo are usually small and are always taught by professors, not graduate students or teaching assistants. Students are expected to contribute their own opinions and perspectives in class and be challenged by the class. Theoretical principles are usually presented in class, followed by the student’s unique application of the material learned. Typically, for one hour spent in class, three hours of study time outside of class is expected.


How do students behave in class?


Raising your hand and having the professor call your name allows you to ask a question or speak in class; calling out answers is not considered appropriate in the classroom. Snacks are generally allowed in class; soft drinks, coffee, or juice are typical. You should always ask your professor first if a snack is permitted.



Is class attendance required?


Geneseo faculty have a wide range of options for incorporating class attendance into their course activities, requirements, and grading procedures. Be certain to read each instructor's syllabus with care and ask questions during the first two or three days of class if you do not understand the instructor's standards. While faculty may not penalize students for a specific number of absences, many faculty include attendance and class absences as part of the grading for tests, projects, participation, presentations, and other class activities.


What is the typical size of a class?

The student to professor ratio is 20:1. Required entry-level classes may range from 25-200 students (e.g. Geography 123 has a size of 125). Intermediate level classes and courses in your major are smaller, typically between 14-35 students.


What tutoring services is available on-campus?


Almost every department on campus provides tutoring services for students. Such services include the Writing Learning Center, where students can get help with their papers; the Math Learning Center; and tutoring centers for science subjects such as Biology, Physics and Chemistry.


Where else on campus can I study besides my bedroom?


Students can find quiet-study areas at Milne Library, the Fraser Learning Center, and the College Union. Each residence halls also provides study lounges where students can study quietly.




Social and Recreational Opportunities


What types of social activities are there?


Concerts, off-campus parties, groups and organizations with service projects (volunteering to help others in charitable works), social groups, study groups, theatrical plays, and activities in the residence halls.


How do students dress for class, for social activities, etc.?


Class: comfortable clothes ranging from sweat suits, jeans and tee shirts, khaki pants and button down shirts. Baseball caps, sweaters, cargo clothes and book bags are popular. Comfortable shoes are important.


Social Activities: jeans and tee shirts, or skirts, khaki pants, button down shirts; a step up from casual dress.


What facilities are offered at the gym?


The university provides free access to the running track, swimming pool, ice rink, racquetball courts, tennis courts, and gymnasium.


It also has a state of the art Workout Center, which is open from 8am-10pm. The Workout Center includes free weights, nautilus equipment, treadmills, bikes, stair climbers, aerobics, etc. The gym is free if you live on campus.  If you live off campus there is a charge to use these facilities, $55 per semester or $100 for two semesters or $125 for the whole year.






How do I address adults?


Always call professors “Professor Smith” or “Doctor Smith”. When addressing co-workers, first names are usually appropriate. Bosses, if you have an on-campus job, and older adults should be addressed as Mr., Mrs., or Ms.


Can I work in Geneseo?


On-campus jobs are available for F-1 students. You need a social security number and a letter of authorization for employment from the International Student Services Office. F-1 students may NOT work off-campus until they qualify for practical training.


How do I obtain a Social Security Number?


An officer from the Office of Social Security will come to Geneseo during an orientation workshop to assist you in applying for a social security number. This process of obtaining a social security number does not grant you citizenship.


How do I receive mail in Geneseo?


Upon arriving in Geneseo, you will be assigned a mailbox. Your family and friends may send you mail by addressing it to:

[Your Name]

[Mailbox #]

10 MacVittie Circle

Geneseo, NY 14454



When you move out of your residence hall, you may want to rent a Geneseo Post Office Box, and have your mail forwarded there if you will be traveling home for the summer.


What transportation is available for my use?


There is a shuttle bus that runs from the campus all day long to the small plaza in Geneseo where Wal-Mart and the grocery store Wegmans are located. In addition, a bus goes to Rochester to shopping malls and entertainment districts on the weekends. These shuttle services are paid for by tuition and fees, and are free to SUNY Geneseo students.