Breadcrumb

About Milne Library

 Library Statistics

83.6% of Geneseo students used library resources last year.

  • Total space: 70, 591 square feet
  • Annual visitors: 741,956 (2015-2016)
  • Hours open per week: 109.5 (regular semester hours)
  • Reference questions answered: 1,784 (2015-2016)
  • Library instruction sessions: 457 (2015-2016)
  • Print resources: 516,700
  • Current serial subscriptions: 1,500
  • CDs, audiocassettes and recordings: over 5,000
  • Total number of volumes in Teacher Education Resource Center: 29,758
  • Number of volumes in Juvenile/Young Adult Collection: 16,864
  • Number of volumes in Curriculum Resources Collection: 12,894
  • Computer workstations: 90
  • Multimedia classrooms: 5
  • Staff members: 30


Mission Statement

The mission of SUNY Geneseo Milne Library is to connect the College community to information, ideas, and works of imagination. To support the College as a center of excellence in undergraduate education, we provide instruction and expertise in the organization, evaluation, and use of information resources. We strive to create an intellectual environment that promotes the search for knowledge and a passion for lifelong learning.

Students working in Milne Library

Dr. William J. MilneLibrary History

Who was Milne?

Milne Library is named after Dr. William J. Milne, who was the first Principal of the Geneseo Normal School from 1871 to 1889, and his brother, Dr. John M. Milne, who was Principal from 1889 to 1903. Milne Library was completed in 1966.

What does Fraser have to do with the library?

In addition to Milne, the library maintains the Fraser Study Center, located on the top floor of Fraser Hall. The Fraser Study Center houses a variety of study environments for students and a closed storage area for periodicals. Retrieval from Fraser Study Center is available through Milne Library’s Information Delivery Services’ online request form.

Fraser Hall is named after Bertha Paine Fraser, who was one of the first two women appointed to Geneseo Normal School's Board of Visitors. Fraser was the College's main library from 1956 to 1966 and housed the School of Library and Information Science from 1965 to 1983. Fraser Hall also housed the Business Library until the late 1990s, when the collection moved to Milne.