Sue Ann Brainard
Research Instruction Librarian
Milne Library Subject Guides Profile
Schedule a Consultation Appointment!
Areas of Responsibility:
- Library Instruction
- Liaison to English and History Departments
- Student Research Consultations
- MLS, SUNY Albany
- BA, English, Mount Saint Mary College
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Librarianship, 2004
Service to College:
- Letchworth Park Advisory Committee, 2015-
- General Education Committee, 2015-
- Middle States Committee
- Curriculum Review Committee
- College Senate, Elected Senator, 2010-present
- Local Studies, a National Movement: Toward a Historiography of the Black Freedom Movement, conference volunteer, 2006
- College Senate, Departmental Representative, 1997-1999, 2001-2004
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2014-2015, 2002-2004, 1997-1998
- Graduate Affairs Committee, 2001
- Student Affairs Committee, 1998-1999
- English Department Assessment Project, 2000-2002
- Nominated student winning student for the RACCE Outstanding Adult Student Award, 2001
- Faculty Advisor to Geneseo Swing Kids (a student dance club) 1999-2001
- Assessment Planning Committee, 1999-2001
Service to Library:
- Celebrating Geneseo Authors Committee, 2011-2017
- Scholarly Communications Committee, 2011-2015
- Search Committee for Social Science Librarian, 2015
- Search Committee for Reference/Instruction Librarian, 2006
- Bylaws Committee, Chair, 2004-2005
- Search Committee for Coordinator of Library Instruction, 2000, 2003
- Search Committee for Collection Development Librarian, 2003
- Library Mission Statement Goals Subcommittee, 2002
- Middle States Committee, 2000-2001
- Assessment Committee, Coordinator, 2000-2001
- Interim Co-Coordinator of Library Instruction, 2000-2001
- Committee on Reappointments, Promotions, and Selective Salary Adjustments, 1996-2000, chair 1997-2000
- Search Committee for Reference/Instruction Librarian, co-chair, 1999
- Search Committee for IT Librarian, 1997-1999
- Reference Area Task Force, 1997-1999
- Mentor Committee, 1998-1999
- Coordinator of Humanities Collection, 1997-1999
- Public Access Committee, 1996-1999
- Web Page Focus Group Committee, 1998
Service to Profession:
- SUNY Librarians Association Annual Conference, Local Arrangements Chair, 2006
- SUNY Librarians Association Library Instruction Committee, 1998-2002
- CIT Conference Planning Committee, 2000-2001
- SUNY Librarians Information Literacy Working Group, February 2000
- SUNY Librarians Request For Proposal (Information Literacy Online Tutorial) Committee, 1998-1999
- SUNY Librarians Association Representative, 1998-2000
GOLD Workshops (Ruby Certificate):
Geneseo Organization for Leadership Development Workshops
- Fake News
- Fair Use
- Advanced Database Searching
- Swoger, B. J. M., Brainard, S. A., & Hoffman, K. D. (2015). Foundations For a Scholarly Communications Program: Interviewing Faculty at a Small Public Liberal Arts College. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, 3(1): eP1219. doi:10.7710/2162-3309.1219
- Jacobson, Trudi, and Timothy Gatti, eds. Teaching Information Literacy Concepts: Activities and Frameworks from the Field. New York: Library Instruction Publications, 2001. Five chapters contributed (three as coauthor).
- "Reference Roving." Rassmatazz (Newsletter of the Reference and Adult Services Section of the New York Library Association), Spring 1996.
- “Question Authority” and “Searching the Hidden Web,” two workshops for the Pittsford School District, July 2005. (Invited)
- “Using Google to Search the Hidden Web.” Two-hour workshop at Rochester Regional Library Council Training Center, July 2004. (Invited)
- “Using the Ebsco Databases.” Two-hour workshop at Rochester Regional Library Council Training Center, June 10, 2002. (Invited)
- “Revisiting Innovative Instruction.” Presentation given at the SUNY Librarians Association Conference, Buffalo, New York, June 7, 2002.
- “Innovations in Library Instruction.” Presentation given at the SUNY Librarians Association Conference, Corning, New York, June 6-8, 2001.
- “Web Search Tools.” Presentation for Library Development Day, Genesee Valley BOCES, October 2000. (Invited)
- “Basic Database Searching." Five three-hour workshops at Rochester Regional Library Council Training Center, April 1999, July 1999, July 2000. (Invited)
- “Basic Database Searching.” Presentation given at the New York State Library Assistants Association Conference in Rochester, June 2000. (Invited)
- "Using a Web Page as a Classroom Management Tool." Poster session at the SUNY Librarians Association Conference in Queensbury, New York, June 1999.
- "Evaluation First: a new approach to teaching the web." Paper presented at the Conference on Instructional Technologies in Rome/Utica, New York, June 1999.
- "The Problems of Integrating Information Technology into the Curriculum: Lessons from Bio 201 Information Technology in Biology." Paper co-presented (with Professor Robert Simon) at CIT Conference in Rome/Utica, New York, June 1999.
- "Evaluation First: a new approach to teaching the web." Paper presented at the Online World Conference in Washington D.C., October 1998. (Invited)
- "How they search and what they search for: an analysis of actual search queries on the Internet." Paper presented at the SUNY Conference on Instructional Technologies, Cortland, New York, June 1998.
- "Curriculum Relevant to the SCLD Information Literacy Initiatives." Web page presented at the unveiling of the SUNY Librarians Association web site, SUNYLA Conference, Fredonia, June 1998.
- "Using Classroom Assessment Techniques in Library Instruction Classes." Poster session at SUNY Librarians Association Conference, Cortland, June 1997.