While you reside on campus, please be reminded that you are expected to abide by all federal and New York State Laws, College policies, the Student Code of Conduct, and Residence Life policies. The result of any COVID-19 policy or guideline violation may be removal from the residence halls.
Resident Assistants, Assistant Residence Directors, Residence Directors, and Area Coordinators reside in the the Residence Halls with you and are present to provide you with support and guidance. Their goal is to create opportunities for residents to meet one another, develop strong communities, and build lasting relationships - connect and engage. Part of their responsibility is to help you stay safe in the residential community. Residence Life Staff cannot do this work alone. Following COVID-19 policies and guidelines will help to maintain a safe environment.
Student Conduct and Community Standards
Student(s) found to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct and/or the guidelines imposed during the pandemic will be subject to student conduct sanctions and may be required to leave the residence hall for the duration of the semester. Please see The Code of Conduct online, COVID-19 Policies Mandatory Sanctioning, Geneseo Update, and the Student Handbook.
- Visitation guidelines are in place to discourage the spread of COVID-19.
- During Phase I, visitation is strictly prohibited. After move-in, non residents are not permitted to enter the residence halls. This includes residents from other residence halls, off campus students, family, and friends. In addition, residents may not enter another resident's room.
- Social gatherings of more than 10 residents or more than 50% of the room's capacity in public spaces are prohibited.
- Lounge, kitchen, laundry, and bathroom use is limited to 50 percent capacity.
- Participation in weekly pool testing for COVID-19 is mandatory. Sign-up here: myhealth.geneseo.edu
- NYS DOH guidelines as they pertain to COVID-19 must be followed - links: https://health.ny.gov/ and https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home
- COVID-19 Quarantine or Isolation
- If you test positive for COVID-19, you must isolate on campus in Jones Hall or safely at home.
- If you are a contact of a person who tested positive for COVID-19, you must quarantine on campus in Jones Hall or safely at home.
If you are found in violation of the code of conduct or any of the rules and regulations listed above, you will be removed from on-campus housing.
Practice physical distancing, wash your hands, and if you do not feel well, stay in bed and seek medical attention if appropriate. Be considerate of others.
- What can you do to stay well? Get sleep, wash your hands - a lot, limit your interactions with others, practice social distancing, go for a walk in nature, eat healthy foods.
- What if you don't feel well? Stay in your room and call the Student Health Center. (585-245-5736)
Please be reminded for your and our health and wellbeing, social gatherings are limited, but there are still opportunities to connect and engage. This includes student clubs and organizations as well.
- So how can you stay connected? Group Me, Google Meet, Whatsapp, Facetime, etc. Zoom is free through your Geneseo email account.
- Check and read your email throughout the day everyday.
- Join a student organization and go to a meeting.
- Attend RA SEEs (programs, events, etc).
- Hang out in the College Union or a Res Hall lounge.
- Invite another resident to play a board game.
- Reach out to an RA.
- Join Hall Council.
Other Things to Do?
You are only limited by your own creativity and COVID-19 guidelines, Residence Life and College policy, NYS DOH, and the law...
- Take a walk in the arboretum.
- Go snow shoeing, sledding, or cross country skiing.
- Bake cookies.
- Build a snow-person!
- Go for a drive.
- Get a treat on Main Street or just take a walk to Main Street.
- Binge watch something on Netflix.
- Do yoga.
- Create a spa day - facial, mani, pedi!
Important Contact Information
University Police (Emergency): 585-245-5222
University Police (Non-Emergency): 585-245-5651
Residence Life Main: 585-245-5726
Lauderdale Health Center: 585-245-5736
Dean of Students: 585-245-5706
Livingston County Department of Health: 585-243-7270
Jones Hall Quarantine Coordinator: 585-491-0983