Our Upper-Level Experience Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) are designed to support students in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years at Geneseo. These LLCs are focused on supporting the solidifying goals and values of our upperclassmen students: providing spaces for them to study, gather, and create; provide resources for students looking for outside of the classroom learning opportunities; personal workshops to work on resume building, cover letters, internship applications, work-study, etc.
- Lounge spaces are specifically designed as individual and group study spaces or as locations that groups can meet to work on projects (for classes, student organizations, or other projects)
- Targeted advertising and support for Study Abroad experiences, volunteer and service activities, GOLD Certifications, and other experiential and hands on opportunities that will expand students' in-the-classroom learning
- Direct connection with the Department of Career Development to help students discover opportunities for internships and work in their fields of interest and to develop skills necessary to get jobs and internships
What is a Living-Learning Community?
A Living-Learning Community (LLC) is a group of students who choose to live together in a Residence Hall to explore a common interest. Each LLC has a shared academic component (e.g., a course, faculty-led workshops, a service trip) and is strengthened by co-curricular experiences that align with the community's interests and goals.
The Learning Outcomes of our Living-Learning Communities are from the GLOBE document, which outlines outcomes for all SUNY Geneseo students upon graduation:
- Integrative Inquiry: To ask meaningful questions connecting personal experiences to academic study and co-curricular life; to synthesize multiple bodies of knowledge to address real-world problems and issues.
- Application and Transfer: To adapt and apply skills, theories, and methods gained in one or more domains to new situations.
- Reflection: To reflect upon changes in learning and outlook over time; to make personal, professional, and civic plans based on that self-reflection.
The Upper-Level Experience LLCs prepare students to be successful upon returning to SUNY Geneseo. Residents will develop a variety of social skills to help them strengthen existing interpersonal relationships with faculty, staff, and other students as well as creating new relationships as their interests begin to narrow. Residents are offered opportunities to pursue their interests at their own pace and comfort level and the LLCs support students in navigating gateways for on- and off-campus connections.
Students living in an Upperclassmen Experience LLC will:
- Create meaningful relationships with each other and lasting connections with staff and faculty
- Explore their own passions as they identify the different pathways to achieve institutional and career benchmarks
Upper-Level LLC Values
Advocacy | Autonomy | Independence | Supportive
How to Apply
All housing placements for are based upon application review. Applicants must have submitted complete answers to all questions in the application to be considered for placement. Only those who submit an application by the housing deadlines listed on the housing selection website may be considered for placement. You can find more information on the housing process at housing for incoming students.
For any questions or concerns, contact the Department of Residence Life (email@example.com or 585-245-5726) or the Associate Director for Educational Initiatives, Dr. Meg Reitz, (firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-245-6363)
Are you a faculty or staff member interested in getting involved?