Are you passionate about LGBTQ issues? Do you want to develop your facilitation and leadership skills while making concrete contributions to making Geneseo a more welcoming and inclusive place? Want to get to know LGBTQ & ally faculty & staff and work alongside them?
Become a Safezone trainer
Dr. Alice Rutkowski (English/Women’s & Gender Studies) offers an academic course EVERY SPRING that teaches students the information and facilitation skills they need to feel prepared to facilitate Safezone workshops. WGST 232: Safezone Train-the-Trainer is a 2 credit course, M/W, 9:30-10:20 and students must apply for admission. The link to the student application is listed in Step 1 in this page below. The class is a mix of content (LGBTQ history, terminology, contemporary issues and problems) and training in public speaking, group facilitation and collaboration.
requirements: students must have a demonstrated interest in (but don't have to identify as) LGBTQ issues; must be available the whole academic year for which they apply. Minimum qualifications for acceptance are listed below. Applications for the training program are open now.
Applications are available now and are due Monday, October 18, 2020 at 5 pm. No late applications can be considered. Accepted students will be given permission to register for the course by the instructor.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Faculty, Staff, and Administration Trainers:
All Faculty, Staff, and Administrative individuals who are interested in becoming a SUNY Geneseo Safezone trainer should directly contact Dr. Alice Rutkowski in person, by phone, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Becoming a Student Safezone Trainer: Minimum Qualifications
- Successful completion of the online application including reference and transcript information (see below)
- Available to serve as a Safe Zone trainer the following semester (without skipping a semester to study abroad, etc.)
- An interest in LGBTQ+ issues
Scan the QR Code or Click the button below for the 2021 Student Train the Trainer Application
Student Instructions for Applying Online to the Safezone Trainer program
Step 1: Complete all questions on the online application
To access the online form, please click the button bar below.
Step 2: Submit an unofficial transcript *and* your reference information via email to email@example.com. Instructions for creating a pdf file of your transcript are below. In addition to attaching your transcript, the body of the email should list the names, titles, email, and phone numbers of two people who are willing to be contacted to answer a few questions about you. References are not required to write letters. At least one reference must be a current faculty or staff member at Geneseo (As the current Safezone coordinator, Dr. Rutkowski cannot serve as a reference for any applicants).
- In a separate window, go to Knightweb and login.
- Click the "Student" tab
- Click the "Student Records" tab
- Click "Academic Transcript" and select "All Levels" as the Transcript Level and "Web Transcript" as the Transcript Type
- Then press "Submit" to view your transcript
- Go to File and select "Print"
- Within the printing option, typically towards the top, find the "PDF Creator" icon or option and click
- Under the "Document Title" name the file YOURLASTNAMEtra.pdf and click "Save"
- Save it to your desktop
- Now that you have your transcript saved as a PDF file on your desktop, attach it to an email to submit along with your reference information
Students who successfully who are selected for the course will be enrolled for two credits of WGST 232 by permission of the instructor.
If you have additional questions about our program, please contact Dr. Rutkowski, Department of English: firstname.lastname@example.org