College Senate Bulletin

State University of New York at Geneseo

College of Arts and Sciences


Correspondence to Dennis Showers, School of Education, South 222C,, 245-5264

Note: Page numbers indicate pages as per the paper copy of the Bulletins.

Bulletin No. 3

Pages 30-42

November 9, 2010


Topic Page

Minutes, College Senate meeting of September 21, 2010 31

Minutes, FAC, September 28, 2010 35

Minutes, Graduate Curriculum Committee, October 14, 2010 36

Minutes, Policy Committee, October 26, 2010 37

Minutes, Student Affairs Committee, October 26, 2010 39

Agenda: College Senate Meeting, November 16, 2010 40

UCC Proposals for consideration on November 16, 2010 41

Minutes, UCC, October 26, 2010 42

College Senate Meeting Minutes

September 21, 2010


C. Adams, B. Ahmad, J. Aimers, J. Allen, T. Bazzett, J. Behrend, S.A. Brainard, A. Bretl, C. Dahl, K. Davies-Hoffman, S. Derne, D. Farthing, K. Gentry, D. Granger, C. Haddad, P. Hamilton-Rogers, K. Hannam, G, Hartvigsen, A. Heap, A. Hernandez, H.Y. Jeong, R. Kahrs, J. Kernan, M. Klotz, C. Kreutter, C. Leary, A. Lewis, J. Lewis, M. Lima, C. Long, J. Lovett, D. Mackenzie, B. Marano, G. Marcus, V. Markowski, J. McGarrah, P. McLaughlin, J. McLean, D. McPherson, M. Mitschow, B. Morgan, L. O’Brien, T. Ocon, J. Over, B. Owens, G. Park, P. Rault, M. Rogachefsky, S. Salmon, B. Semel, A. Sheldon, D. Showers, T. Sochia, L. Spencer, A. Steinhauer, M. Stolee, B. Swoger, A. Tajima, L. Taraska, A. Watkins, K. Wong, J. Yee

Call to order

Chair Showers called the Senate to order at 4:02 p.m.

Adoption of the Agenda (CSB #1, page 2)

Motion by Meg Stolee, seconded

The agenda was adopted without corrections or additions.

Adoption of the Minutes
Approval of minutes.

  • Senate Meeting February 16, 2010 (CSB #8, pp. 102-107)

    • Motion to adopt the minutes by James McLean, seconded. Motion carries.

  • Senate Meeting March 30, 2010 (CSB #8, pp. 109-112)

    • Motion to adopt the minutes by Bob Owens, seconded. Motion carries.

Senate Reports

President’s Report – Christopher Dahl

  • Budget

    • There is no news on the Albany front concerning the budget. It is unlikely that the legislature will come back in session before the election. Locally, we are taking the following steps to handle this year’s budget:

      • This year – 2.5 million dollars in salary cuts.

      • Eliminated four lines in academic affairs and holding 23 lines vacant

      • Those savings = 6.6% of the whole salary budget

      • The college has taken 8.1 million dollars in cuts since the 2008-2009 academic year. Those have been partially offset by 3.5 million dollars in tuition costs.

      • The college is being run on 4.6 million dollars a year less than the 2007-2008 academic year.

    • Looking forward:

      • 37 individuals retired under the first retirement package

      • 2 confirmed retirements with the second retirement package

      • 7 local retirements from college and staff who took the college’s retirement incentive package

  • What are we doing about the vacant lines?

      • We are sticking to the lines as best as we can.

      • For example, filling a secretaries line in any union. The vice president or provost must take this to the budget committee to voted on

      • We will be as careful as we can and try to save as much money as we possibly can

    • The Strategic Planning Group meant once this semester

      • They are looking at data regarding program quality and efficiency for the campus

    • Until we know the total salary savings from the retirements, we won’t be able to relay that number to what we might need to save in terms of permanent base budget cuts

  • Announcements

    • Walter Harding lecture will happen on Thursday, September 23, 2010. Caleb Crain, an independent scholar and journalist, will

    • Foundation board will be meeting Friday, September 24, 2010 and Saturday, September 25,2010.

    • Homecoming is this week

      • The college is trying to turn these events into opportunities to interact with alumni who are distinguished and are in a position to help us

      • There is a spot light on science in which the college is bringing successful alumni back during homecoming. Norman Newrighter will speak. He is a distinguished scientist and does foreign policy issues in science.

Provost’s Report – Carol Long

  • Update on conversations about course load shifts removing from 5 to 4 course load

    • There is a drafted note that will be sent to faculty and put on mycourses to the chairs. Over the summer, mathematics, psychology, English and geological sciences thought about how they can make the shift of a student load from 5 to 4 classes. They took different approaches and came up with lots of different ideas. Provost Long will share that material with faculty and department chairs when it is complete. We are thinking about how the departmental curriculum matches with the general education curriculum. are reassessing both faculty and student workload and trying to create more satisfaction and efficiency for both faculty and students. Will be talking with some student groups to get the students’ points of view. Many institutions are looking into this as well and sharing their ideas. We hope to have some proposals in the spring.

    • Grants and undergraduate research presentations: We have trying to put a push on foundation grant writing, and faculty and group research grants. We are looking for foundation support for changes in the curriculum. We have submitted numerous proposals already. The research council has expanded its membership and has received a small amount of new funding from the foundation which provides new opportunities.

    • Events

      • Council on Undergraduate Research: Library of Congress Washington DC October 27, 2010. They have invited us to give them nominations, in which we sent 11 nominations for the slideshow.

      • The college is sending students to the Posters on the Hill event in November

      • We are sending seven students and two faculty members to an undergraduate research conference at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

      • We have invited a number of faculty and staff to join Julie Rao to help remodel with SOFIs. There is a new capacity capability to do an online course evaluation form in house which would save money and give us greater control over the program. This group will try to craft a system to improve our satisfaction.

  • Steve Derne, Sociology:

    • Will core general education committees be a part of curricular reform too or just the departments?

  • Provost Long

    • Yes, they will. You can go about reform in a number of ways. I could have begun with the curriculum review committee or with the general education departments, but I did not do that in the interest of time. I began with the departments because of the time and it gave them the opportunity to look at their own curriculum and think about how their departmental curriculum interfaces with the general education curriculum. Now that we have those materials, I will start the conversation with the general education professors so that they can fit together. SUNY has also changed some of their policies on general education that we have to take into account

  • Mark Mitschow, School of Business

    • Some people say that the purpose for the 4-4 is to conserve resources, some say it is to improve quality, and some say it is for both. What is the purpose? If the purpose is to save money how will it be done? If it is to improve quality, how will we get those substantial resources that are needed to make that happen? If it is both, how will we measure success?

  • Provost Long

    • In the beginning it was because of financial difficulties. A group worked last year and estimated that we could probably save as much as $500,000 from eliminating adjunct lines. I have been doing some modeling that is not complete that we will really create some capacity through this and will have choices for this. We will have to do some one-time investment supporting faculty when they make these adjustments.

  • Mark Mitschow, School of Business

    • If were keeping faculty work load the same and keep research requirements from, Where are these lines coming from? We don’t have the money.

  • Provost Long

    • Others have been looking to reduce teaching level from 6 to 5 courses. We started by reducing the student course load to see what capacity we can create in our system. We haven’t started the conversation yet about faculty teaching fewer classes. We can look at how to use the capacity to enrich pedagogy. People have choices as to what to use the capacity for.

  • Mark Mitschow, School of Business

    • What is the primary goal? Cost or quality?

  • Provost Long

    • I think it’s both, I don’t think they need to be exclusive. We choose which part of the capacity we use to create savings and which we use to improve quality.

  • Jan Lovett, Biology

    • It sounds like this is a done deal. You are asking the apartment to invest a lot of time and energy to adjust our curriculum. When will we have a chance to have this brought to the faculty for acceptance or rejection?

  • Provost Long

    • I would hope by the spring that we would have proposals coming forward. I think it would be ill advised for us to vote on something that we don’t all understand yet. I am not asking you to change your courses yet, but rather, to do the conceptual work to think of what kind of change we can engage in. We are only looking at the conceptual work at this stage.

  • Mark Mitschow, School of Business

    • Will the senate ultimately vote on this and approve it? Does it need to be approved by the senate?

  • Provost Long

    • The curriculum belongs to the faculty. I prefer to have it be a complex vote, not just yes or no for a 4-4. This does not need to be an all or nothing. We can work with departments and programs to have differential needs. We are looking at what do we need to do to actually carry this forward?

Chairs’ Report – Dennis Showers

  • Accounting information

    • There are currently 85 members of senate. There will be 91 when all of the appointments are made.

    • In order to have a quorum we need 43 members. We will need 46 members for a quorum when all of the spots are filled.

    • A special meeting can be called by 9 members currently, but 10 are needed once all of the appointments have been made.

    • The committee appointments have all been made. Most of them were circulated with college senate bulletin. If you’re name is not in there, contact D. Showers and he will let you know what committee you are on.

    • Since there is no immediate past chair, the position is filled by appointment and I have asked David Granger to serve.

  • Senate chair made the request of Chris Leary to serve as senate Parliamentarian

  • There will be an announcement for donations to the senate fund in the near future. Please look for that announcement and give it serious consideration.

  • This year’s big project will be looking at the possible faculty assembly, body, and how we can restructure governments in such a way that we can have a representative from the college senate and from the faculty assembly that can work in conjunction to perform a working governance.

    • D. Showers will be forming a committee. Contact him if interested in coming to the first meeting

  • A faculty member is needed for strategic planning group. The current faculty members are from the fields of biology, mathematics, and business. Anyone from other departments are encouraged to contact D. Showers about the opportunity. The executive committee will make recommendation to President Dahl who will make the appointment.

Vice Chair’s Report – Duane McPherson

  • Nominations for the chancellors award of excellence and grants nominations are being accepted and should be submitted to C. Leary. A list of the awards can be found on page 2 of the senate bulletin. Nominations can be as simple as a one line memo saying “I nominate x for y,” however, they can be more extensive. Self nominations are allowed.

  • Anyone can nominate faculty or librarians for excellence awards. Find more information, visit the college senate website, left hand menu, link for excellence awards.


Past Chair – David Granger

No report.

Secretary ReportBrian Morgan

No report.

Treasurer Report – Aaron Steinhauer

  • The balance of college senate fund is $621.34. We are looking for ways to increase this.

University Faculty Senate Report – Gregg Hartvigsen

  • We have about 2,000 copies of the Fall 2009 faculty senate bulletins if anyone would like any.

  • I will be travelling to senate meeting in October at Alfred and will bring back a report.

Student Association Report – Tom Sochia

  • I have assigned all 14 senators to their committees. We will have first student pocus on Thursday, September 23, 2010. The director of student affairs and I will be working with Dr. Matthews.

  • On October 5, 2010 from 7:00pm -9:00om in ballroom, there will be a candidate forum for all senators running for our district. Attendees can ask budget questions for SUNY Geneseo. Please let students know. It is a GOLD workshop so students have to register in advance.

  • Student Association is looking for a program advisor. They have narrowed it down to three people and interviews started today.

  • This year is a referendum year. Please push the S.A. events that apply to your class and get students involved.

Undergraduate Curricula Committee Report – Bob Owens

  • Announcements

    • The first meeting will be Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 4:00pm in Sturges 105 fist meeting.

    • We need a secretary.

    • Anyone who knows they are in UCC and haven’t received any emails, contact B. Owens to be put on the roster.

Undergraduate Academic Policies, Core and Review – Leigh O’Brien

  • A message will be sent out about first meeting

Graduate Academic AffairsDoug MacKenzie

No report.

Student Affairs – Jeff Over

No report.

Faculty Affairs – James McLean

  • The next meeting will be next Tuesday, September 28, 2010 in South 309.

  • If you have not received any emails and you are faculty affairs, email to get your name on the roster.

Old Business

No report.

New Business

No Report


At 4:41 p.m.

Minutes of the Faculty Affairs Committee

Sept. 28, 2010

Present: J. McLean (Chair), J. Dolce, C. Adams, J Allen, J. Behrend, T. Bowersox, AM Lauricella, J. Lewis, E, Savellos, B. Swoger, R. Kahrs

Excused: S. Derne

Guest: Julie Rao

Call to Order

James McLean called the meeting to order at 4:02 PM.

  1. Chair’s Report:

Introductions. Welcome to the FAC, etc.

Committee members will rotate the task of preparing the minutes in alphabetical order. Jim Allen to prepare minutes of next meting.

Chair presents administration’s intention to involve faculty in the 4-4 course-load shift.

  1. Old Business:

With Guest: Julie Rao. Question and answer session on preparations to administer SOFIs locally. Discussion focused on possible changes, such as in-class vs. out-of class administration.

  1. New Business

Discussion on 4-4 course load shift.

What role does FAC wish to play? Discussion followed.

FAC requests that proposed changes be brought before faculty senate.

Concern expressed about the proposed “extra” hour. Will it be

appropriated by academic affairs for example?


James McLean adjourned the meeting at 5:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted, C. Adams

Minutes of the Graduate Academic Affairs Committee

October 14, 2010

Present: A. Bretl, C. Haddad, A. Heap, D. MacKenzie (Chair), S. Peck, S. Salmon, T. Underwood

Call to Order

Doug MacKenzie called the meeting to order at 3:05 PM.

Agenda: review of the following graduate course proposals

  1. EDUC 463: International Field Experience: Early Childhood, Childhood, and Adolescence Education

The following revisions to the course proposal were recommended:

    • Provide Date of Submission

    • Section III: Items pertaining to Interdepartmental Impact were left blank. Susan Salmon indicated that both should be marked “N” (No).

    • Section VI: The proposed bulletin description indicates that the course will be offered every other spring (even years) while later in the same section it is reported as a “summer session offering.” Susan and Sharon clarified that this is a summer session course and that the bulletin description will need to be revised accordingly.

    • Section VI: Regarding how the course will be integrated into the major, the box stating “It will be an elective in the major” should be marked with an “X” rather than a “Y”.

    • Section VIII: Core Approval Information was left blank. Both items pertaining to General Education should be marked “N” (No).

No revisions were recommended for the guide syllabus.

The course was unanimously approved by the committee pending completion of those revisions recommended above.

  1. EDUC 480: Educational Perspectives in Childhood and Youth

The following revisions to the course proposal were recommended:

    • Provide Date of Submission

    • Section II: The date the proposal would become effective should be changed from January 2010 to January 2011.

    • Section IV: Change the wording of the statement “This course serves as an elective in all graduate programs and as an elective that seniors majoring in education could choose to take” to “This course serves as an elective in all Education graduate programs and as an elective that seniors majoring in education could choose to take.”

    • Section VII: The first sentence in the Rationale for Proposal should be modified as follows: “This course fulfills a need for graduate electives in all Education programs.

The following revisions to the guide syllabus were recommended:

    • Replace the course number EDUC 4XX with EDUC 480.

    • Add bibliography to the last page.

  1. CURR 509: Methods and Materials in Adolescence Education: English

The following revisions to the course proposal were recommended:

    • Provide Date of Submission

    • Section IV: It was indicated that extra faculty and staff would be required but the explanation provided referred to the need for additional field sites rather than personnel. It was felt that reference to additional field sites would be more appropriate under the “Additional supporting services” section. The box for “Additional faculty or staff” should therefore be marked “N” (No) instead of “Y”.

    • Section VIII: Core Approval Information was left blank. Both items pertaining to General Education should be marked “N” (No).

No revisions were recommended for the guide syllabus.

The course was unanimously approved by the committee pending completion of those revisions recommended above.

Recommended revisions for all three courses will be reported back to the School of Education.


Doug MacKenzie adjourned the meeting at 3:45 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Doug MacKenzie

GAAC chair

Department of Communicative Disorders and Sciences

Minutes of the Committee on UG Policies, Core and Review

Oct. 26, 2010

Members present:

Leigh O’Brien, Chair, Chris Leary, Kristi Hannam, Jim Kernan, Atsushi Tajima, Marty Rogachefsky, Maria Lima, Jana Wong, Bareeqah Ahmad, Patty Hamilton-Rodgers, Dori Farthing, & Kerry McKeever (ex officio member)


Sharon Bossung, Harry Howe, & Duane McPherson

Call to order

Leigh O’Brien called the meeting to order at 4:07 P.M.

Items of business

1. Academic Standards Proposal:

Associate Dean Kerry McKeever presented a proposal that seeks to change how Geneseo determines satisfactory progress, academic probation, and academic dismissal. She would like to have the new policy in place by the Fall 2011 semester.

The new policy would entail the following:

-satisfactory progress will be defined as occurring when students complete 75% of the credit hours they enrolled in at the beginning of the semester. If a student does not make satisfactory progress for 4 semesters, they will be put on academic suspension and they will have to complete 12 credit hours successfully at an alternate university before continuing their career at Geneseo.

-academic probation will be determined at the end of each semester. Students will receive academic probation if their cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0. Students can remain on academic probation for two consecutive semesters after which they will be subject to academic dismissal.

-academic dismissal: Students will be considered for academic dismissal if 1) they are unable to make satisfactory progress at another institution while on academic suspension, or 2) if they are on academic probation for 2 consecutive semesters.

Associate Dean McKeever noted that this policy change is important because currently students may be in good standing (having scheduled for a certain number of credit hours), but have a GPA that should raise alarm. The vision is that this change in policy would help keep students from falling through the cracks and help catch the attention of students early when academic trouble occurs. At the moment, McKeever said, many students don’t see the problem until it is too late since their report cards might be constantly noting that they are in good standing-when in reality, they are in trouble with their GPA as well as with their credit hours.

Associate Dean McKeever commented that this policy change has been in the works for three years. M. Lima asked why it has taken so long to occur and McKeever replied that the timing has just not been conducive to the change.

L. O’Brien asked how many students would be impacted by the policy adjustments and McKeever stated that she thought it would affect about 50 students a year.

This issue will be discussed further at future meetings.

2. 5-4 Course Proposal

Duane McPherson presented to the committee a request that it take up the 5-4 course discussion. He hoped that our discussion would formalize the 5-4 conversation and allow it to be brought to the Senate floor for true campus input. The involvement of the Senate would ensure that the 5-4 policy not become a “backdoor” policy that the faculty can’t question or critique. The reason McPherson approached the Policy committee is because he notes that many of the issues that are associated with the 5-4 shift are of a policy nature (standards and review in particular).

The committee was open to hearing McPherson’s request but concerns were raised. Specifically, C. Leary commented that McPherson’s request to the committee was too vague for us to tackle since there is no official proposed policy on the table to discuss. Guest Bossung countered that the campus is already being asked to act as if there is really an actual proposal. In her words, the proposal is “de facto” since the academic departments are now charged to come up with how they will change to fit to a 4-class-4-credit model. She suggested that the committee can investigate how the 4th credit will actually be used across campus. Guest Howe asked the committee to consider the ramifications associated with the non-proposal-proposal that is being presented by the administration. K. Hannam noted that should the committee take up the 5-4 discussion, we would have to be very careful to keep our discussions focused on policy-related items.

L. O’Brien suggested that McPherson and his colleagues put together a more specific proposal for the Policy committee to work with. It was also suggested that the 5-4 discussion be addressed in other committees such as Student Affairs and the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. McPherson agreed and noted that he had plans to speak to these committees. He also reiterated that he sincerely hoped that there would be committee-based discussions of the 5-4 shift so that ultimately, it could be brought to the Senate floor in an appropriate manner.


Leigh O’Brien adjourned the meeting at 5:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Dori Farthing

Student Affairs Committee

26 October 2010

Attending: Jeff Over (chair), Ashley Lewis, Lauren Abdallah, Paul McLauphlin, Hye-Yeon Jeong, Lauren Taraska, Patrick Rault, Cheryl Kreutter, Victoria Farmer, James McGarrah.

Meeting was called to order at 4:02.

1) Introductions.

2) The role of Student Affairs Committee as a committee of the College Senate was defined and clarified - this is a place to bring forth student concerns, articulate these to executive committee, and then receive direction from executive committee if these issues are to be formally discussed for presentation to the senate as a whole.

3) Charge from last year – potential policy discussion in regard to student performances during finals week in the School of Performing Arts. Based on investigation of SAC minutes from the previous year and memory of long serving members, it is not clear how this issue initially arose. From a discussion with Jon Gonder, Dean of the School of the Arts, it is policy not to schedule student performance during finals week unless part of the final evaluation in an academic course, nor allow any mandatory meetings during study day. Classes do have activities scheduled for the designated exam time. Likewise, it is College policy that campus student activities and clubs not have presentations or performances during finals week. Due to the absence of committee members from the previous year this discussion was tabled.

4) Issues for the committee.

i. It is not known what the Geneseo student concerns are for the proposed switch to a 32 course program from the current 40 course load, “5 to 4.” Committee members are encouraged to query students and this issue will be brought before executive committee to determine if this is a charge for SAC to pursue.

Meeting adjourned at 4:15.

Respectively submitted,

Jeff Over

Geological Sciences Representative and Chair of SAC

Agenda for Senate Meeting

November 16, 2010

Call to Order

Adoption of the Agenda

CSB #3, pp. 40-41

Adoption of the Minutes

Minutes of September 21, 2010, CSB #3, pp. 31-35


SUNY Strategic Plan Implementation team representatives

  • Academic Excellence (Paul Schacht)

  • Information Technology (Katie Rommel-Esham)

  • Innovative Instruction (Savi Iyer)

  • Shared Governance (Dennis Showers)

  • SUNY and a Healthier New York (Melinda DuBois)

  • SUNY and the World (Jeremy Grace, Maria Lima)

  • SUNY and an Energy-Smart New York (Dennis Showers)

Senate Reports

President Christopher Dahl

Provost Carol Long

Chair Dennis Showers

Vice Chair Duane McPherson

Past-Chair David Granger

Treasurer Aaron Steinhauer

University Faculty Senator Gregg Hartvigsen

Vice President, Student Assoc. Thomas Scochia

Reports of the Standing Committees of the Senate

Undergraduate Curricula Robert Owens

First Reading

Course Revision (Found on CSB #3, p. 41)

PLSC 345, Theories of International Relations

Program Revision (Found on CSB #3, p. 41)

Minor in Art History

Second Reading

New Courses (Found on CSB #2, pp. 25-26)

BIOL 281, Introduction to Research

BIOL 375, Cellular Neurobiology

GSCI 107, The Geology of Climate Change and Energy

HONR 394, Capstone Seminar

PHYS 342, Advanced Physics Problem Solving

Course Revisions (Found on CSB #2, pp. 26-27)

BIOL 119, General Biology: Diversity, Physiology, Ecology

BIOL 264, Human Physiology

BIOL 364, Animal Physiology

BIOL 393, Honors Thesis

H&PE 350, Health and Safety Issues in the Schools

PLSC 320, Theories of Comparative Politics

PLSC 346, Global Issues

Course Deletions (Found on CSB#2, pp 27-28)

BIOL 201, Information Technology in Biology

BIOL 202, Biological Issues

BIOL 252, Introduction to Ornithology

BIOL 303, Community Ecology

BIOL 307, Advanced Genetic Analysis

BIOL 381, Introduction to Research

BIOL 382, Experimental Research

COMN 348, Advanced Organizational Communication

Program Revisions (Found on CSB#2, p. 28)

B.A. in Communication

Edgar Fellows Program

Program Deletion (Found on CSB #2, p. 28)

Math/3-2 Engineering

Undergraduate Policies Leigh O’Brien

Graduate Academic Affairs Doug MacKenzie

Student Affairs Jeff Over

Faculty Affairs James McLean

Old Business

New Business


Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Proposals

(Go to “Senate 2010-2011” folder at Continue to “Group A First Reading 2010 09” to view the proposals in greater detail.)

Proposal Descriptions

Course Revision

PLSC 345, Theories of International Relations

Prerequisite change from PLSC 120 to Senior Standing, for Political Science majors completion of PLSC 110, PLSC 120, PLSC 140, PLSC 230, and PLSC 251; for International Relations majors, completion of ECON 101, ECON 102, PLSC 120, PLSC 140, and PLSC 246.

Rationale: PLSC 345 will serve as a capstone course for International Relations majors and as a senior seminar for Political Science majors. As such, the department wants to ensure students have a strong background prior to enrolling in the class, and, relatedly, we want enrollment limited to seniors.

Program Revision

Minor in Art History

From 21 to 24 hours. From ARTH 171, ARTH 172 OR 173; two 200-level art history; one 300-level art history; ARTS 100 or 210; and one 200-level art studio to

ARTH 171, 173 AND 173; two 200-level art history; one 300-level art history; and two 200- or 300-level courses in History, English, Philosophy, Anthropology or Sociology; or two 100-, 200- or 300-level courses in Studio Art. Proposal specifies History, English, Philosophy, Anthropology or Sociology courses that fulfill the minor.

Rationale: This proposal is intended to bring the Art History Minor offerings in correspondence with changes being made in the Art History Major, the primary difference being the introduction of an Interdisciplinary Humanities.

----- ----- -----

Minutes of Undergraduate Curriculum Committee


Members Present: R. Owens (chair), A. Watkins, B. Harrison, A, Hernandez,

J. Kirkwood, J. Lovett, M. Mitschow, G. Marcus, B. Semel, K. Adabra

Guests: S. Iyer, J. Gonder

Call to Order

R. Owens called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m..

1. Adoption of the agenda: Passed.

2. Old Business

Course Revision

PLSC 345, Theories of International Relations: Passed

Incorrect information in original proposal has been corrected.

Program Revision

Minor in Art History: Passed

Allowed interdisciplinary humanities courses have been specified. Other courses may be selected with approval of the Art Department similar to approval of courses chosen for the Art History major.

R. Owens adjourned the meeting at 4:08 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Janice Lovett