What is H.E.R.O.S? (Higher Education Resource Opportunities in Schools)
Created in 2007 as part of the AmeriCorps VISTA Project, H.E.R.O.S is a mentoring partnership between SUNY Geneseo and Livingston County High Schools. Trained H.E.R.O.S mentors work one-on-one biweekly with students that have shown interest in being mentored. Acting as a positive role model and lending support, as well as a listening ear, the mentor is the middle ground between an authoritative figure and a friend. Ultimately, the goal of the program is to encourage high school students to go to college (either a 2 year or 4-year program). Through the establishment of a positive mentor-mentee relationship, the hope is to end the cycle of poverty with a focus on education.
Who is a HERO?
A HERO is a mentor:
- a wise and trusted counselor or teacher
- an influential senior sponsor or supporter
- An empathetic role model
- Acts as a positive role model for their mentee
- Encourages high school students to go to college
- Researches financial aid and college information
- Supports the mentee and assists mentee's development
How will H.E.R.O.S run in Fall 2021?
Our priority is the health and safety of all students and mentors. Due to COVID-19, we have decided to restructure our program in the following manner:
- H.E.R.O.S has shifted into a virtual mentorship program where students will be meeting with their mentors on a bi-weekly basis via Zoom. All mentors will be given a guided curriculum to help foster positive mentor/mentee relationships.
- All mentors will attend bi-weekly remote meetings which will include an allotted time for professional development (Wednesdays at 6:30 PM).
- All accepted mentors will enroll in INTD 395 as a one-credit internship.
Become a HERO Mentor (College Students)
- If you are interested in becoming a HERO Mentor, submit your Fall 2021 Mentor Application. Applications will open on May 3rd, 2021, and will close on May 17th, 2021.
- After you submit your application, you will receive a notification on whether or not you will be moving onto the next phase by May 28th, 2021.
- If you move on to the next phase, you will schedule an interview with the HEROS Coordinators.
- If you are selected to become a mentor, you will enroll in INTD 395.
Become a HERO Mentee (HS Students)
If you are a high school student, counselor, principal, and/or parent interested in finding mentors for your high school students, please use this form to indicate your interest or contact us at heros@Geneseo.edu. Please show interest by January 8th as all mentees will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis!
What kinds of students are we looking for?
Any student in grades 9-12 who could benefit from our mentorship! In the HEROS program, we truly believe that your education is the job of a lifetime, and wish to encourage and support students seeking to pursue any form of higher education, whether it be through a trade school, 2-year college program, 4-year college program, or beyond. We also believe that college is not just for students with straight A’s or for students who can easily afford it. Our mentors will work with any student to help them problem-solve and develop a plan to achieve their personal educational goals, and we welcome any students who may be facing challenges or indecision surrounding their plans after high school.
Information for High Schools
- Attendance to the virtual onboarding is required to remain in the program
- Meet with your mentee on a bi-weekly basis
- Be an empathetic and non-judgmental supporter of your mentee
- Attend bi-weekly virtual meetings to discuss mentee's progress
- Show dedication, commitment, and overall passion for supporting HS students' growth
- Enrolling in INTD 395 and completing all course hours & reflections.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I apply to be a HERO Mentor if I do not have a car?
Yes, we welcome everyone to apply! This semester, we are launching a virtual mentorship program and will not need to commute anywhere.
- Can I apply to be a HERO Mentor if I am a first-year college student?
Yes! We look forward to supporting your professional development during your first semester of Geneseo.
- I do not have any prior experience mentoring. Can I still apply?
Yes! All accepted mentors in the HEROS program will receive a detailed guidebook as well as a guided curriculum to help with their mentorship practices. No prior experience is needed.
- Do I have to enroll in INTD 395 to be a part of the H.E.R.O.S Program?
Yes. All accepted mentors will have to enroll in INTD 395 as part of a one-credit internship.
- What is the purpose of the interview?
In order to learn more about you, your skills set, and your passion to mentor, the HEROS Coordinators Team will be interviewing you. The interview is meant to learn more about what was not asked in the application. It is also your opportunity to ask questions, offer ideas, and/or suggestions to the program.
Community Outreach & Network Coordinator
Office Hours| Zoom
Mentor Development Coordinator
Office Hours| Zoom
Senior Program Coordinator
Office Hours| Zoom
Director of Student Volunteerism and Community Engagement
Center for Community
CU 353A | Phone: (585) 245.5893