Due to COVID-19 concerns, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has postponed the 2020 Presidential Primary and NY-27’s Special Election until Tuesday, June 23, 2020. The March 18 Village of Geneseo elections have been postponed to September 15th, 2020 (check back for more information!).
Here’s what you need to know to vote and make sure it gets counted!
COVID-19 and Voting
Register to Vote Here
- If you have not registered to vote previously, use this link to register to vote in NY. For the June 23 elections, you must register by postmarked mail or in person by May 29. For the Village of Geneseo election, you must register 10 days before the announced election day.
- If you are graduating, you may wish to update your voter information to your new address.
- If you are remaining in NY, use this link.
- If you are leaving NY, use this link to find out how to register to vote in your state.
Requesting an Absentee Ballot
(Due to the COVID-19 emergency, every registered voter may vote by absentee ballot.)
- As a SUNY Geneseo student, you may vote absentee in NYS because you are:
- Absent from the county you are registered to vote, or if from NYC, absent from NYC. (If you are registered to vote on campus and will not be in Livingston County on June 23, 2020, this applies to you.)
- Living in Geneseo off-campus where you are registered to vote and choose not to vote in person because of the coronavirus, or
- Registered at your permanent home address (not Geneseo) and choose not to vote in person because of the coronavirus. (Request a ballot(s) from your home county, not Livingston County.)
- Apply for your absentee ballot here! (The absentee ballot application must be postmarked by June 16 for the June 23 elections, and seven days before the Village election once a date is announced. It is highly recommended you APPLY NOW for all elections.)
- If you are registered on-campus, your street address is 10 MacVittie Circle and name of Residence Hall, and your apartment is your room number.
- If registered off-campus, use your off-campus address.
- If registered at your permanent home address, use that address AND mail to your home county Board of Elections.
- Use this form for an example absentee ballot.
- Your absentee ballot will be sent to you by mail (at the address you indicate in Boxes 6 and/or 7). We recommend mailing it immediately after completion, but absentee ballots must be postmarked by June 22 for the June 23 elections and the day before the Village of Geneseo election.
Be a More Informed Voter
- If you are registered to vote on campus, find out more about who's on your ballot.
- Only registered Democrats will be able to vote in the Presidential Primary. See the Sample Ballot for the Democratic Primary here.
- All those registered in the 27th Congressional District (which includes Geneseo) will be able to vote in the Special Election. See the Sample Ballot for the Special Election here.
- All those registered in the Village of Geneseo (which includes the campus and most areas off-campus) will be able to vote in the Village election. See the Sample Ballot for the Village of Geneseo Election here.
- If you are registered to vote at home or at your off-campus residence, you can use your address to find out more about who's on your ballot.
Find Your Polling Place
- If you are registered to vote on campus, the on-campus polling site at Kuhl Gym will not be open for the June 23 Elections or Village of Geneseo Election. If you are voting in person, the two physical poll sites are:
- If you are registered elsewhere, use this link to find your polling place.