UPON ARRIVAL IN THE UNITED STATES
You may be asked to complete an I-94 Form either on the plane, ship, or at the port of entry. When completing the I-94, please make certain you spell your name exactly as it appears on your U.S. J-1 visa. The I-94 will contain an eleven (11) digit “Admission Number”.
The officer will also open your sealed envelope and remove your DS-2019 Form. The officer will stamp the DS-2019 Form with the same information, place the admission number on the DS-2019 Form, and return the DS-2019 Form to you. Expect to have your index fingers scanned and a digital photograph taken, as required by U.S. federal regulations.
Make sure you have your Passport and your DS-2019 Form with you before you leave the inspection area.
You may print your I-94 upon arrivng to SUNY Geneseo campus.
Students are expected to arrive to the Rochester, NY Airport (airport code ROC), on one of the two "Move-In Days." You can find the specific Move-in Days for upcoming semesters on the Term Dates page.
Please arrive to the airport between 6:00 am and 10:00 pm. A college representative with a sign that says "SUNY GENESEO" will be at the airport to greet you and take you to the SUNY Geneseo campus.
If you arrive after 10:00 pm, you will be asked to get a hotel in Rochester near the airport for the night, and you will be picked up and brought to the campus the following morning.
The person greeting you at the airport will provide you a Welcome Packet with the following:
- Swipe access card that will allow you entry in your Residence Hall’s main door.
- Metal key or key card that provides access to your bedroom.
- Map of Geneseo.
- Student Orientation and advisement information and schedules.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION (ISO)
The Office of International Programs staff along with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office jointly provide a thorough Orientation program to incoming exchange students. The dates of the ISO can be found on the Term Dates page.
ISO is compulsory for all exchange students and is most beneficial to you, as it will introduce you to the steps necessary in order to successfully complete your exchange program at SUNY Geneseo.
Please bring the following documents to ISO:
- Original passport
- Original DS-2019 form
- I-94 card (you will have received this in the airplane on your way into the U.S.)
- Your room's access key and swipe card, and the envelopes in which were provided to you in your Welcome Packet
During ISO and prior to the beginning of classes, SUNY Geneseo personnel will also assist you with:
- Obtaining a SUNY Geneseo Student Identification Card
- Confirming course selection and registration
- Establishing a bank account (if you decide to)
- A shopping trip to a nearby department store will be scheduled for students who need to purchase personal and bedroom essentials