UPON ARRIVAL IN THE UNITED STATES
- You will be asked to complete a paper I-94 Form either only if entering the US by land. When completing the I-94, please make certain you spell your name exactly as it appears on your U.S. J-1 visa. The I-94 will contain an eleven (11) digit “Admission Number”.
- The immigration officer will open your sealed envelope and remove your DS-2019. The officer will stamp the DS-2019 , place your admission number on the DS-2019, and return the DS-2019 to you. Expect to have your index fingers scanned and a digital photograph taken, as required by US federal regulations.
- Make sure you have your Passport and your DS-2019 with you before you leave the inspection area.
- If you arrive by air or sea, you can print your I-94 once you are at Geneseo.
- You should plan to arrive to the Rochester, NY Airport (airport code ROC), on one of the two "Move-In Days." (You can find the specific Move-in Days for upcoming semesters on the Term Dates page.)
- Please plan to arrive to the airport between 6:00 am and 10:00 pm. A college representative with a sign that says "SUNY GENESEO" will be at the airport to greet you and bring you to campus.
- If you arrive after 10:00 pm, you will be asked to get a hotel in Rochester near the airport for the night, and you will be picked up and brought to the campus the following morning.
The person greeting you at the airport will provide you a Welcome Packet with the following:
- Swipe access card that will allow you entry in your Residence Hall’s main door.
- Metal key or key card that provides access to your bedroom.
- Map of Geneseo.
- Student Orientation and advisement information and schedules.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION
The Office of International Programs staff along with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office jointly provide an Orientation program to incoming exchange students. The dates of Orientation can be found on the Term Dates page. Orientation is compulsory for all incoming exchange students.
Please bring the following documents to Orientation:
- Original passport
- Original DS-2019 form
- I-94 card (you will have received this in the airplane on your way into the U.S.)
- Your room's access key and swipe card, and the envelopes in which were provided to you in your Welcome Packet
In addition to providing useful information about the American classroom and campus culture, Orientation includes:
- Obtaining a SUNY Geneseo Student Identification Card
- Confirming your course selection and registration
- Establishing a bank account (if you decide to)
- A shopping trip to purchase personal and bedroom essentials